Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #1,231  
Machines like the large excavators and dozers don't just have position feed back in the valve itself but in the cylinders. The operator can attach a bucket and calibrate the stick on his display, and then he can dig a trench with an exact grade on the bottom. The machine will not let him dig any lower than that grade no matter what the orientation of the boom or bucket is and doesn't have to stop and carefully check with a laser detector mounted on the boom
Darn, I thought it was skill.;)
Even more hope since I am trying to talk my 16yo grandson into start looking into how to get into the Operating Engineers Union.

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China
#1,232  
I as well appreciate his willingness to help? Does that make his statements above discussion?
I am all for discussion.

I also know that there is a lot of obfuscation thru jargon that is somewhat exclusive to those on the outside of every industry. Sometimes the jargon is even company-specific.

John Deere calls all their AUX hydraulic valves on their tractors, "SCVs". Other makers mostly don't. Which of these 2 terms is most helpful to someone who does not live and breathe tractors? Or just JD tractors?

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #1,233  
A Slight "misuse of the word" is 10k in differences in cost of the two types of equipment being discussed.

I don't consider that disparity slight. Literally more than these baby diggers cost.

I as well appreciate his willingness to help? Does that make his statements above discussion?
I remember when I first joined this site not very long ago. I found the knowledge base of several people on here amazing. They were willing to help me with my new L12 and never once pointed out my small mistakes and ignorance on many things. I was so happy to find a group of people with lots of experience that truly wanted to help me.

And now we have you.. Your knowledge is obviously far more than mine, but there is only one thing you can teach me. When the IGNORE BUTTON should be used. Thank you for that bit of help.

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #1,234  
A Slight "misuse of the word" is 10k in differences in cost of the two types of equipment being discussed.

I don't consider that disparity slight. Literally more than these baby diggers cost.

All good points
I don't think anything had been said to be taken personally

Your knowledge is obviously far more than mine, but there is only one thing you can teach me. When the IGNORE BUTTON should be used. Thank you for that bit of help.
It isn't apparent to me OP is even feeling targeted much less needing defending - just some debate.
Actually more like a standard discussion/ argument of facts rather than even debate
Let's just not be overdramatic!

Switch driven hydraulic valves are very common as third functions but we just call them solenoid valves. Several use a solenoids to control a pilot section which controls the main spool.
Yep that's what I was after, thanks for the correction and in depth explanations.
That's wild though how things like auto-grading are achieved, never thought about how.

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #1,235  
Darn, I thought it was skill.;)
Even more hope since I am trying to talk my 16yo grandson into start looking into how to get into the Operating Engineers Union.
I am conflicted about that. On one hand it was a skill, my father and grandfather were Cat skinners and I had several thousand hours on tractors, excavators and dozers before I graduated high school and the highest tech on sight was an automatic leveling transit that grandpa poo pahed because you didn't have to set it like his dumpy level.

On the other hand I have seen multiple sewer pipes set to grade by experts that were flat or uphill slightly. Sometimes the tech made the operator much more productive, sometimes it just helps eliminates mistakes.

One thing I have noticed, is sometimes the machines are so easy to use they operators don't learn why things are done a certain way and it leads to trouble.

I am all for discussion.

I also know that there is a lot of obfuscation thru jargon that is somewhat exclusive to those on the outside of every industry. Sometimes the jargon is even company-specific.

John Deere calls all their AUX hydraulic valves on their tractors, "SCVs". Other makers mostly don't. Which of these 2 terms is most helpful to someone who does not live and breathe tractors? Or just JD tractors?

I understand that, Having a JD tractor that I just resealed the whole hydraulic system last winter. Growing up with Cat, Case and IH there definitely is some nomenclature differences and they even have a different way of laying out the whole system.

Most of my 16 years professional experience with hydraulics is actually with CNC machine tools, automation for loading said tools, and even some old hydraulic robots when I first started. Lot of it German, some of it Japanese. The old American machines didn't use any servo valves, it was all solenoid valves and hard stops.

It drove some of the old school electricians mad when the germans used the term earth for ground. Working in a cat factory let me see the machine side(product) as the engineers were right there and ironically during the time on 2nd shift I was the incidental operator of the 416 and 980 if "things" happened.

I worked for a German company for 3 years after that and had to learn a whole new book of TLA, aka Three Letter Acronyms.

I remember when I first joined this site not very long ago. I found the knowledge base of several people on here amazing. They were willing to help me with my new L12 and never once pointed out my small mistakes and ignorance on many things. I was so happy to find a group of people with lots of experience that truly wanted to help me.

And now we have you.. Your knowledge is obviously far more than mine, but there is only one thing you can teach me. When the IGNORE BUTTON should be used. Thank you for that bit of help.
Well I certainly am sorry to offend you.

I am guess I am the FNG here and apparently that makes waves here.

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #1,236  
TBN IS welcome to all to provide relevant information that is of value (and opinions too), then some posts get into verbiage and use thereof.

In this case USMC43, specifically to this post on mini excavators, debating features/functions that do not apply to the users of these machines does not add value. That said, you obviously have knowledge on hydraulic systems, it's a matter of making it relevant and contextual to the topic at hand,

No one here questions your skill sets, and we are all here to learn, and providing relevant useful information (or opinions too) enables us all to learn.

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #1,237  
Anyone have a service manual for a 1-ton mini excavator?

I bought a machine and unfortunately it has no manual.

I’ve got most of it figured out curious about sprocket and track lubrication and maintenance.

I understand there will be differences from machine to machine. I’m looking for hints.

Mine was manufactured by Ant cloud machinery

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China
#1,238  

I’ve got most of it figured out curious about sprocket and track lubrication and maintenance.

I understand there will be differences from machine to machine. I’m looking for hints.

There are dozens of factories in China that make these small excavators. Importers get the factories to put any name on them that is requested. Some will come with a generic operator's manual, with essentially nothing service-related that is specific to the machine.

I have only seen one manual that has a hydraulic schematic, but it was a machine with pilot controls. Very little else in there that was useful. Your best bet is to ask questions and post pix or vids on this site and others, including Utube and FB.

What machine did you buy?

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #1,239  

Here is a generic one .

Attachments

• QH12_Mannual_NzU1MD.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 63
   / Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #1,240  

I think you will find that most of these baby diggers do not require much maintenance on the tracks. The only thing I need to do is occasionally check the track tension. Some have a grease fitting that tightens the track and some have a bolt that tightens it.

Some have lots of trouble with tracks coming off, so keep them properly adjusted. I keep mine at about 1/2" of deflection in the center of top of track. I have 30 hrs and not lost a track.

If you have the grease fitting (hydraulic) adjuster, be careful to not over-tighten (too much grease). You will probably need to adjust tracks more in the first 10-20 hours as things wear a bit and seat themselves.

Last edited: