Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #1,241  
Thanks dfkrug, I'm not 100% on the flow direction but yes that is the routing. I will share more when I find out. (or have more questions!)
In process now of ordering a six hose 2 spool control used for thumb and blade function. Along with attachments and maybe a spare pump and swing mot.
She said they are experimenting with a 'plunger' pump for future models. Wonder why, this type prob maxes out the engine and seems decent at multi functions. So unless it is somehow more smooth, maybe the plunger is more efficient or durable.
View attachment 830635
I only wanted one spool (thumb doesn't seem that useful if having to take hand from main controls) but trying to get salesperson to understand is like pulling teeth haha.
View attachment 830636
This would be ideal control for blade imo, but need the hoses and connections to main stack anyway. Might try the cheap generic 3 hose up/down eventually too though.
________

Right out of container mine came with gas but was never started by auction. Smelled old-ish. Luckily tank wasn't full so filled with fresh, and eventually some directly in carb. Smoked like hell for a bit when finally got goin
Your first image looks interesting to me.
Is your digger electric?
Mine is, and this side almost looks identical. The potentiometer is for the electric motor for the hydraulic pump; while the lever is for lowering the blade, and widening the track. All same colour, position and form.

Could you please share an image of the control/display panel and mention what the gauges are showing? Thanks.

Last edited:
   / Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China
#1,242  
Is your digger electric?
Mine is, and this side almost looks identical. The potentiometer is for the electric motor for the hydraulic pump; while the lever is for lowering the blade, and widening the track. All same colour, position and from.
You have an electric mini-X, apparently. Can you post pix, especially of anything inside that reveals how it works?

I have seen a few Utube vids that show electric 1-tonners, but I think they were powered by an A/C cord.

Last edited:
   / Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #1,243  
You have an electric mini-X, apparently. Can you post pix, especially of anything inside that reveals how it works?

I have seen a few Utube vids that show electric 1-tonners, but I think they were powered by and A/C cord.
OK, I have now finished reading this whole thread after reading it for a few days :)
Phew...

Hydraulics and their related problems seem to apply to an electric digger too.
But, considering this thread, which mostly addresses 1.x ton machines, I decided to create a new post, reporting on the whole import, purchase, delivery, usage experience... and will link it here to this post.

To briefly answer your implied question: this digger is a 2.5 t machine, with a 14 kWh battery, driving a 10 kW electric motor. I have used this machine for ten hours now, and used 1 to 2 kW per hour. Hence, it easily operates a full day. I has a 2 kW/h built-in charger, meaning it needs a max. of 7 hours to charge. However, I ran it down to 30%, hence, charge time was shorter.

Last edited:
#1,244  
My machine is back up on the trails working, but I would like to bring it down to the workshop to add a crossover RV (on order) to the house motor.
I have my crossover valve now.

Before I get started installing this, I video-ed my house rotation play up where I am working. Not too much slop, thankfully. Nothing like the other posts I have seen so far.

My ring/pinion gear play is minimal, so I am less concerned about breakage here, but I am still gonna install the cushion valve. I want less jerkiness, and less stress on the pinion gear.

I notice my BM1-200 house rotation motor has been double-nutted on. Nice. No case drain hose, however (the capped port on the top center).

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #1,245  
I have my crossover valve now.

Before I get started installing this, I video-ed my house rotation play up where I am working. Not too much slop, thankfully. Nothing like the other posts I have seen so far.

My ring/pinion gear play is minimal, so I am less concerned about breakage here, but I am still gonna install the cushion valve. I want less jerkiness, and less stress on the pinion gear.

I notice my BM1-200 house rotation motor has been double-nutted on. Nice. No case drain hose, however (the capped port on the top center).

Thats about the same amount of play I have. I would like to know where the play is coming from.
Maybe the drive gear could be moved closer to the ring gear? Or maybe its in the keyway between the motor shaft and gear?

Hopefully the cushion valve will substantially lower the chance of damage. The slop in mine concerns me, we all know that slop will get worse if not corrected. Add to that, the jerky nature of most of our little diggers, and I may see a failure before 100 hrs.

Do you have an idea where your play is at?

#1,246  
Thats about the same amount of play I have. I would like to know where the play is coming from.
I doubt there is visible play in the keyway. But your query makes me think I should do another vid with the camera underneath and a helper pushing back and forth on the bucket. If I had a helper.

Another possibility is that the hoses expand and contract under pressure from forcing the motor pinion to spin. Also, my house rotation valve is kinda leaky (internally). The house will slowly, but visibly self-rotate on a slope.

Notice something else? My pinion gear has no visible retaining bolt. I have this same view when the machine was new, so it has not fallen out. Could there be a recessed socket head bolt there?

Attachments

• ring_pinion_gears_2018.jpg
    ring_pinion_gears_2018.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 46
   / Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #1,247  
I doubt there is visible play in the keyway. But your query makes me think I should do another vid with the camera underneath and a helper pushing back and forth on the bucket. If I had a helper.

Another possibility is that the hoses expand and contract under pressure from forcing the motor pinion to spin. Also, my house rotation valve is kinda leaky (internally). The house will slowly, but visibly self-rotate on a slope.

Notice something else? My pinion gear has no visible retaining bolt. I have this same view when the machine was new, so it has not fallen out. Could there be a recessed socket head bolt there?
Could you turn camera on and slide it under the digger and then wiggle the house? Or use a selfie-stick?

I would be impressed if the hoses allowed the movement we see.

Very interesting, must be a recessed bolt in there. Or a set screw up above the gear?

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #1,248  
Wonder if the play is due to the mesh between the gears or if possibly there has been some wear in the bearing that supports the gear?

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #1,249  
Wonder if the play is due to the mesh between the gears or if possibly there has been some wear in the bearing that supports the gear?
Both are certainly possible. I suspect the mesh is the likely culprit. I have considered removing the swing motor and enlarging the mounting holes so there would be a little adjustment possible. Then push the motor a little closer to the ring gear to remove the slack. As the weather here improves, I will be more involved with some repairs.

I also think slop in the keyway of the pinion gear may be the issue.

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #1,250  
I've noticed that there's a lot of stress transferred into the frame of my backhoe when digging.

If the slop gets worse with use, I'd suspect it has to do with the stress forces going into whatever holds the house onto the drive carriage. If the slop is just there from the beginning, then it could be tolerances are too great?

One concern I'd have with enlarging the mounting holes would be whether you could even tighten them enough to keep the gear mesh from slipping apart?

I understand that there are gears that control the 360 degree rotation, but what holds the house onto the drive carriage, but still allows it to rotate? Is that something that also factors into the play?