Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China
Since one can buy a single spool control that has 3 hoses (two for control and one for return, yes?), I assumed these two spool controls were simply scaled up with two control and return for each spool. Except I didn't expect to see one of the 'returns' from each joystick go thru filter and back to main stack/body.

Yes each joystick (2 functions/ spools each) has a total of 6 small hoses. 1/4 I think. No 'power beyond' unfortunately.

Each spool/function has two hoses going to corresponding control portion of main body; to blocks top and bottom of the main body.
The 'pilot' blocks you can see on top have matches on the bottom also for each pilot function.

That leaves two more hoses for each joystick. I assumed that made for 1 return for each function, like a scaled up single spool remote.
One hose from each joystick does run to tank, but the other one from each goes thru filter and back to main stack near pump inlet.
In reading the above, it sure sounds like your 2-spool valves in each armrest have 6 hoses each: IN, OUT, and 4 workports. The one to the tank is clearly OUT, and you have traced the workports to the main valve body, so the one with the filter on it must be the IN from the flow divider at the left end of the main valve.

In the EM15 I opened up, I could not see clearly how the servo joysticks were connected. I did not see those filters at all.

When you buy a run-of-the-mill 2-spool open center valve, for some common application (like an AUX valve for your tractor), it will often be a "monoblock" valve. The IN and OUT plumbing for each spool will be handled by a single port for the whole valve, and connections to each spool will be done internally.

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #832  
That grease-like substance that builds up in your carb bowl is what happens when your petcock is not securely closed and gas leaks slowly into the carb. The gasoline fraction evaporates, leaving the ethanol and water behind.

This may take days to happen. When the gas runs out, the "grease" dries out, too, often corroding the bowl and jet. I have had this happen with numerous engines where the petcock leaks (gravity-fed), or I forget and leave it on.
Never had fuel in it, it was Brand New Briggs never fired. Shipped that way. Clear like Vaseline Jelly.

Never had fuel in it, it was Brand New Briggs never fired. Shipped that way. Clear like Vaseline Jelly.
what a mystery!

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #834  
Thanks dfkrug, I'm not 100% on the flow direction but yes that is the routing. I will share more when I find out. (or have more questions!)
In process now of ordering a six hose 2 spool control used for thumb and blade function. Along with attachments and maybe a spare pump and swing mot.
She said they are experimenting with a 'plunger' pump for future models. Wonder why, this type prob maxes out the engine and seems decent at multi functions. So unless it is somehow more smooth, maybe the plunger is more efficient or durable.
e58d647d286c9e998c1c396b8824ac6a.jpg
I only wanted one spool (thumb doesn't seem that useful if having to take hand from main controls) but trying to get salesperson to understand is like pulling teeth haha.
1 spool.jpg
This would be ideal control for blade imo, but need the hoses and connections to main stack anyway. Might try the cheap generic 3 hose up/down eventually too though.
________

Right out of container mine came with gas but was never started by auction. Smelled old-ish. Luckily tank wasn't full so filled with fresh, and eventually some directly in carb. Smoked like hell for a bit when finally got goin

She said they are experimenting with a 'plunger' pump for future models. Wonder why, this type prob maxes out the engine and seems decent at multi functions. So unless it is somehow more smooth, maybe the plunger is more efficient
If you are talking to someone at the factory, find out the displacement of the pump they installed, and suggest a smaller pump to accommodate a 3000+ RPM motor. Smaller pump would make for less jerkiness.

My thumb use on the mini-X is perfectly usable with one hand on the right joystick to close the bucket, and my left hand on the AUX valve lever. On my backhoe, I just flip a toggle switch to operate my thumb.

It does seem that the Diggit machine's AUX valve is not detented, like all the other minis I have had here. That is good, as spring-centered is what you want for a thumb.

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #836  
It's kinda been rough communicating with them. Sometimes I swear to god it's like they are trying to waste time. And don't you dare ask more than one question at once!!!!
I will see about a smaller dispacement pump eventually. Right now just trying to get everything required to bring one (or two) of the mechanical pedals up to a single or multi spool pilot.
Been doing alot of grading and even with the pedal extended it is a challenge to get/keep blade in right spot. Maybe could just extend straight up beside travel levers but wanted to try like the namebrand machines.

Your Rhino has the 3rd lever between travel levers? Yes it's not bad if right hand at least can stay with bucket/boom movement. The side joysticks add another element, further to move hand, but we can adapt as necessary. Honestly I thought thumb would be fine on pedal - just wanted blade to right of right joystick. Getting better at blade/pedal but its not optimal for sure.

Speaking of detents - do many other machines have the push button on top of throttle to lock in place? God that was the first thing I removed. Maybe not with the diesel 'koop', but with briggs the throttle stays in position just fine without that clumsy push button thing, I just tightened the pivot a bit, and removed the spring under button. Much better and more natural.

As far as 'aux', aren't all ports on main stack the same? Where hoses run to is the only determining factor of what section does what I assume, and all valves on stack are normal-closed. Like a double throw momentary switch (electric descriptor).
Therefor I thought all machines default would be normal-closed for all functions; and the only use I can think for the opposite would be a breaker or mower/motor which aren't usually that common.
I wonder if the auger I have enroute will require one-way type flow circuit actually. Guessing not, hopefully.

BTW shout out to Five Star Tools (.com I think). Aka Kamran auto on ebay. Flexible in price dependent on quantity and shipping situation. And great communication and fast shipping so far. And good prices and selection. Orderd yesterday and already shipped. I'm comparing with china, dirtpro, and typhon.
Price was about 15% less than DHL from china for hydro thumb auger and 80cm smooth, and cheaper than other two mentioned also. Starting a pole building before ground freezes and didn't want to get held up by sea freight.

As far as 'aux', aren't all ports on main stack the same? Where hoses run to is the only determining factor of what section does what I assume, and all valves on stack are normal-closed.
All of the valves look to be the same, except for the linkages that allow 4 of them to be used with joysticks. I only opened up a couple of the valves when I was switching to spring-centered from detented. You can certainly move some of the functions around by switching hoses. Most machines come with AUX on the far left and blade in the middle between the drive motor levers.

Detented valves may be preferable to some users when operating an auger or breaker. Momentary control is much better with a hydraulic thumb. I have tried all 3 with this 2-hose setup. Some of these minis come with some sort of manual valve mounted on the dipper at the ends of the AUX hoses. I have not had that setup and do not know how it is supposed to work.

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #838  
@dfkrug

I'm trying to add hydraulic oil filtration on my next excavator purchase. I've requested a filter on the return line. I've asked for photos of their filter system and the supplier has sent what looks like a strainer and not a filter. They're saying it's inside the hydraulic tank and should be replaced every 500 hours. I don't believe this is the filtration I'm looking for?

IMG-20231107-WA0010.jpg

Last edited:
@dfkrug

I'm trying to add hydraulic oil filtration on my next excavator purchase. I've requested a filter on the return line. I've asked for photos of their filter system and the supplier has sent what looks like a strainer and not a filter. They're saying it's inside the hydraulic tank and should be replaced every 500 hours. I don't believe this is the filtration I'm looking for?
Yeah, that's a suction strainer, installed inside the tank. Maybe 100 microns or more. Pretty much useless.

My XN08 has a suction strainer that is even bigger. I did post pix above. And the factory even sent me a spare. Suction strainers do little good, and they never need replacing, as you just clean them off.

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #840  
Suction strainers keep lost sockets in the hydraulic tank from getting into the pump, little more.

You need a full flow return line filter, 10 micron rated. Installing a Zinga style filter yourself aids in finding replacement element.