Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #321  
Thank you for your response. The Kx-040 is a monster compared to my little machine. As I read here, these chinese machines could have problems with descending on a slope without any extra load, since the motors drive the tracks directly.

Excavators in general don’t have very strong track drive motors. They have much smaller drive motors than what a skid steer or dozer of equal weight would have. I’ve never been around an excavator without planetary hubs but I’d say it’s a lot worse without them.

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China
Excavators in general don’t have very strong track drive motors. They have much smaller drive motors than what a skid steer or dozer of equal weight would have. I’ve never been around an excavator without planetary hubs but I’d say it’s a lot worse without them.
Excavators are designed to drive pretty slowly, and it seems have much less engine power per unit of weight, vs. tracked skidsteers. Many tracked SS's feature engines with > 100hp.

Again, looking at the paradigm for 1-ton excavators, the Kubota K008 and Cat 300.9: they feature planetary final drives in the driven sprocket hubs, plus 2-speed pumps for the tracks. Their engines only have 10 hp, so the "fast" speed drive is so under-powered that they often can't even turn in "high" speed mode.

The Chinese units save a lot of cost by eliminating the planetary drives, but really need the wheel braking valves to fix the problem that direct drive causes. A separate track drive pump (2-speed or 1-speed) is another additional cost. They do drive VERY slowly in the current setup.

"Twenty-nine of these just sold at Richie Brothers in Dunnigan CA. Around 5000 + tax and fees."

With 10% buyer's commission and 9% CA sales/use tax, you are looking at about $6000 total. Good price. Some have swing booms, some have mech thumb, all have Briggs 420 gas engine. None seem to have upgraded electrical from the diesel engine to gas. I can tell cuz they still have the red tee-handle cutoff switch to protect the hour meter and battery.

Interesting that the SOLD prices are all either $4750 or $5K. RB has no secret reserves, so that's good (unlike the other Sacramento equipment auction).

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #324  
I have been searching for a Chinese brand that has machines with both rops and fops certification. Has anyone found one?

I have been searching for a Chinese brand that has machines with both rops and fops certification. Has anyone found one?
Have you checked out Sany? Sold all over the US, if that is where you are located.

Last edited:
   / Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #326  
Yes I am in the US and Sany machines definitely have certified cabs, but at a much higher price point then the typical Chinese machine.

None of the Chinese makers except Sany seem to have support networks in the US. That means you have to find or have your own technical support and parts source. You CAN buy parts directly from China, but paying may be difficult if you are based in the US.

Maybe more Chinese factories will start selling their parts on Alibaba or AliExpress and accepting US credit cards.

Safety certifications, such as ROPS labeling may be another issue. There may also be other OSHA safety concerns, such as boom lockouts, which are pretty much non-existent.

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #328  
Thanks for the info...we are pretty hands on from a service standpoint...just having trouble getting my head around how to make these machines safe to use

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #329  
Thanks for the info...we are pretty hands on from a service standpoint...just having trouble getting my head around how to make these machines safe to use
I agree. Machines with all there shields, seat belts and roll bars are good.

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #330  

There's obviously a huge market for those lower cost units with fewer safety features. They must be 'safe' enough for a lot of people.

I guess you're finding why there is a price difference between the China models and the US models... Those features cost money.