Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China
I just got quoted on a high top 1 ton unit at $3700 for the excavator and $635 for shipping to my city. How much more cost should I expect with tariffs or import broker, etc?
It depends on a lot of things.

If going thru Alibaba and using Trade Assurance, you can get closer to your "final" cost estimate. But there still may be surprises. If TSA decides to X-ray your container for contraband, then you could pay $500 or more for the privilege. You need to supply SS# or TIN# to logistics company, so your state can charge you sales tax (if any). The 25% tariff may be charged on the base price, and then maybe not.

If you pick up your own load at the CFS (container-freight station) in your city, then you will have to pay warehouse fee, forklift fee, etc. Common carrier shipping to your house will likely be outrageous.

Oh, and did you opt for the default illegal ChangChai/Koop diesel engine? You could be caught at customs. They may send it back to China.

If your net total cost is less than $7000, then you did amazingly well.

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #292  
Thanks for the response and all the info you've provided in this thread! I thought buying an LS tractor with no dealer support close by was risky, now i'm considering this :/ Now I kind of wish i had bought a second LS TLB back when they were around 15k.

I believe my correspondence has been directly with Hightop through their website. It sounds like there would be some benefit to making sure the purchase goes through Alibaba instead. We have a large port here about 20 miles from my house so I would likely just go pick it up and not try to get it delivered to the house. I still need to find a broker here in town, but I think i found one.

I'm waiting to hear back from them on what engine is quoted.

Is there any benefit to having it purchased by a business vs individual?

Last edited:
It seems that SDH is no longer the factory making units for Hightop, the reseller. You may want to consider dealing with a factory and not a reseller.

"Is there any benefit to having it purchased by a business vs individual?"

I don't know of any benefit either way.

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #294  
I think i may have read in one of the pages here where you may have answered this already, but how do you determine who the manufacturer is vs a reseller? I've seen videos on youtube where people recommended the high top name/company, but until i read through this thread I didn't realize they weren't the manufacturer.

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #295  
Looks like the machine is with B&S engine, hydraulic thumb and i can add oil cooler for $100. Or I can get a Kubota D722 engine for $3000 more

I think i may have read in one of the pages here where you may have answered this already, but how do you determine who the manufacturer is vs a reseller? I've seen videos on youtube where people recommended the high top name/company, but until i read through this thread I didn't realize they weren't the manufacturer.
I did not realize HighTop was a reseller either until last year. The local guy here who has imported from SDH was told by them that they used to manufacture for HT. He has also visited their factory and speaks Mandarin. I do not know the new maker for HT units under 2 tons.

Sellers of these minis are generally coy about if they actually make them or just resell them.

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #297  
I did not realize HighTop was a reseller either until last year. The local guy here who has imported from SDH was told by them that they used to manufacture for HT. He has also visited their factory and speaks Mandarin. I do not know the new maker for HT units under 2 tons.

Sellers of these minis are generally coy about if they actually make them or just resell them.

I have been following this and wanting my own mini-ex ever since you first started this thread (hey a kid has to have dreams).

In a very odd twist of fate i was on You-Tube the other day and saw a "suggested video" of some folks who were detailing their experience buying a Mini-Ex using Alibaba, so this morning I decided to search and see what other videos I could find on the subject.

I ran across this one and was all the way to the end when the "Landscape Buddy" model popped up & the light came on. I've heard that before. Rewind to the start of the video "Hello everyone this is Jason ..." - the lightbulb gets brighter so I ran over here to review the last few pages and Lo & Behold this has to be "your guy"

Let’s explore different ways to get a Chinese mini excavator...

The video itself is a great resource but he also shares his factory contact in the video description section. So if anyone is out there and thinking about starting this process, give Jason's video and information a Look See

As long as I'm dreaming I decided to dream big and really want a 2-2.5T w/ EPA diesel (Champaign taste and Budweiser budget lol) At least dreams are free.

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #298  
I just put my deposit down for a hightop HT10. I talked with Jason a good bit, super nice guy and very generous with is time/knowledge, but the landscape buddy was going to end up being more than I could justify spending at this point for what I need. Hopefully the hightop ends up being a decent enough machine.

I just put my deposit down for a hightop HT10.
Congrats. Hope you get a good machine. Jason has sold all his inventory. He is supposed to bring a unit over here again for me to test and adjust RV pressure setting.

I have recently completed making of a new-and-improved bucket, which I will share with factories. I will start another thread about the fabrication.

Attachments

• old_and_new.jpg
    old_and_new.jpg
    577.4 KB · Views: 135
   / Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #300  
Hey this thread is great. Chinese excavators are on my radar.

Have you encountered any design flaws or quirks? I had imported an engine powered flail mower from china and i know there were some little things i had to take care of like loose bolts, design flaws, and reinforcing certain areas.