I need a new lawn mower!

/ I need a new lawn mower! #31  
I've never had an issue with traction on hills with my 72" Hustler. Now, my father in laws 52" residential version? Yes. It's weight. The XOne weighs 1300 pounds, and easily sticks to hills.

The 52" Raptor, sucks on a grade. It is about half the weight.
Also never had a ZTR tear up the lawn, unless it was being driven incorrectly... If driven correctly, it won't harm the turf at all.
My Hustler Super Z, 72" weighs 1600lbs. (the mower in my earlier picture)
The stock turfs sucked on our hills. The bar tires made a massive difference
My other Z turn is a Snapper Pro s200xt 72" . Weighs 1450lbs.
I replaced the stock turf tires with Carlisle at 101's almost immediately after I got it. The stock tires absolutely sucked on our hills.

/ I need a new lawn mower! #32  
My Hustler Super Z, 72" weighs 1600lbs. (the mower in my earlier picture)
The stock turfs sucked on our hills. The bar tires made a massive difference
My other Z turn is a Snapper Pro s200xt 72" . Weighs 1450lbs.
I replaced the stock turf tires with Carlisle at 101's almost immediately after I got it. The stock tires absolutely sucked on our hills.

Attachments

• HPIM1707.JPG
    HPIM1707.JPG
    413.8 KB · Views: 68

/ I need a new lawn mower! #33  
I have a Bad Boy Outlaw XP with 72” deck and 36 HP Vanguard that I bought new in 2017. It’s a great machine and I’d buy another without hesitation. My only complaint is the paint could be better.

Bad Boy has a tire (I think called Raptor) that helps with traction without being too aggressive.

The commercial models have a floating operator platform that really helps. I don’t have personal experience with that platform, but have a buddy that has one. He upgraded last year from an Outlaw XP with 60” deck.

/ I need a new lawn mower! #34  
Hello folks,

After giving up on my 314 and sending it on down the line, I am without a mower; this hasn't been a problem, but it'll need to be rectified before we get into Spring. My lawn, if you could call it that, would currently be about an acre on a just under 2 acre property. It barely exists as a lawn, having seen much destruction over the last year, and it was a mess to begin with. However, over time it'll be smoothed out, dried out, and an attempt made to return it to normal.

Traditionally I have mowed with lawn or garden tractors; prior to moving here I had a D160 that I really enjoyed, however I found the lawn (before it's current state) beat the tractor rather hard, so I sold it before it caused any damage. That has me scratching the 100 and 200 series out of the running. That was replaced with a Cub Cadet XT3, which handled the property well, but those are no longer in production. The obvious alternative is the X500 series, but that would need to be used given their premium price. So, that leaves the X300 series; from that I've cut out the K46 machines. From there I've narrowed it down to the X380, or maybe even an X384.

The lawn tractor market is sad these days, the only real alternative to the Deere would be a Cub Cadet XT2 in the higher end. Those seem to be good machines, but the frame is similar to that of the 100/200 series Deere; they're pretty well put together, but I'm a big guy and the flex makes me a little uncomfortable.

Husqvarna isn't even in the running, their lawn and garden tractors are a bit of a farce. So I guess that just leaves the Deere X380/X384, or whatever I can find used.

Or...

I could get a zero-turn.

I've never operated one in my life, but they've taken over the market so there must be something to them. I have a few concerns; first and foremost, will my Big & Tall catalog self be able to operate one comfortably? Not far behind that, I wonder how they do on rough terrain? Mud?

I've looked around the local field, and I've found these machines. Does anyone have any thoughts on them? On zero-turns in general? How they compare to lawn and garden tractors? This will just be a lawn mower, other tasks are handled by the Kioti. That said, I've got a 10P cart I'll be able to use again.

Cub Cadet ZTS2 50

ExMark Quest X

Scag Liberty Z

Ariens IKON

Ariens APEX

Bad Boy ZT Elite

John Deere Z330R

Is there anything I'd be doing a disservice not to look at? I'm trying to stay right around 48" with the deck size. Is there anything to look for on a zero-turn that doesn't apply to a lawn tractor? Anything to avoid?

I'd like to figure this out quick enough, before the Spring rush I suppose.
Cub Cadet commercial. I have one, a M50 Tank and it's been stone reliable for over 10 years now and is festooned with grease fittings as well but I'm trading it on a Kubota F series front mount diesel mower soon. Have a ton of pines to get under and the ZTR don't get it for that chore unless you want to poke your eyes out.

/ I need a new lawn mower! #35  
ZTR all the way. Just buy a good seat. Gravely ZTHD 60 with the deluxe suspension seat. Or the Hustler model with the deluxe seat. I cannot speak to the length on the Hustler but I am 6' 4" and 360 and fit on the Gravely fine, plenty of leg room.

I don't think a ZTR is any more rough than a rider if you have a good seat. Some also have suspension forks.

As far as never having driven one, my 77 year old MIL runs two of them every year, one is a front deck grasshopper and one is a mid-deck Bushhog commercial ZTR that will mow 13mph.

The biggest thing on a ZTR are the engine and hydro quality. I like Kaw. engines. Stick with Hydro gear or parker hydros. For Hydro gear get at lease the ZT-3100 or better, they have serviceable hydro with dual pumps.

/ I need a new lawn mower!
Looked at the Deere Z300 and Z500 zero-turn models and I found the steering bars to be a little tight. I wish I could move them up and out another two inches.

Most other places are yet to stock mowers, so I haven't been able to really look at much else. I checked out the ExMark last year, and remember it being a little roomier, but I can't look into that until one arrives to the dealer.

I found two potential used units; an X394 and an X580, and they're both rather nice. I've seen the X394 in person, and it's in great shape; the X580 is a haul to look at, but if I'm serious they'll move it to a closer location.

/ I need a new lawn mower! #37  
ZTR all the way. Just buy a good seat. Gravely ZTHD 60 with the deluxe suspension seat. Or the Hustler model with the deluxe seat. I cannot speak to the length on the Hustler but I am 6' 4" and 360 and fit on the Gravely fine, plenty of leg room.

I don't think a ZTR is any more rough than a rider if you have a good seat. Some also have suspension forks.

As far as never having driven one, my 77 year old MIL runs two of them every year, one is a front deck grasshopper and one is a mid-deck Bushhog commercial ZTR that will mow 13mph.

The biggest thing on a ZTR are the engine and hydro quality. I like Kaw. engines. Stick with Hydro gear or parker hydros. For Hydro gear get at lease the ZT-3100 or better, they have serviceable hydro with dual pumps.
If you can afford an F series Kubota diesel front mount mower, I'd say get one. No hydro gear or whatever tranny, the F series front mount mowers are basically a B series tractor running backwards, that is, the diesel engine in in the back driving a hydrostatic transmission and driving the front wheels and the rear steering wheels if you opt for the 4 wheel drive model and the decks are shaft drive too and flip up for easy cleaning and they come with an air suspension seat and you can even get a cab and lots of front mount stuff if your wallet is big enough..

Buying a well cared for used one as I cannot afford a new one. I* think you can get decks up to 80" wide I believe. The one I'm buying is a 72" wide. Not a cheap date even used but we all know how long B series Kubota's run and Grasshopper also uses Kubota engines.

I'm done with gas hog Kaw and Kohler big V twins.

/ I need a new lawn mower! #38  
If you can afford an F series Kubota diesel front mount mower, I'd say get one. No hydro gear or whatever tranny, the F series front mount mowers are basically a B series tractor running backwards, that is, the diesel engine in in the back driving a hydrostatic transmission and driving the front wheels and the rear steering wheels if you opt for the 4 wheel drive model and the decks are shaft drive too and flip up for easy cleaning and they come with an air suspension seat and you can even get a cab and lots of front mount stuff if your wallet is big enough..

Buying a well cared for used one as I cannot afford a new one. I* think you can get decks up to 80" wide I believe. The one I'm buying is a 72" wide. Not a cheap date even used but we all know how long B series Kubota's run and Grasshopper also uses Kubota engines.

I'm done with gas hog Kaw and Kohler big V twins.
Our Grasshopper is a 725d with the Kubota diesel. It does sip fuel compared to the Kaw. In the Bush hog. But we all prefer mowing on the Bush hog. So much faster and nicer cut.

/ I need a new lawn mower! #39  
Our Grasshopper is a 725d with the Kubota diesel. It does sip fuel compared to the Kaw. In the Bush hog. But we all prefer mowing on the Bush hog. So much faster and nicer cut.
The F series will mow at 11 mph if you can stay in the seat. You need to go read about them in the Kubota lawn and garden forum on here. Been wanting one for a long time now but I cannot afford a new one but a used, well cared one poped up so I'm buying it and trading in the M50 tank. The F series has a steering wheel (power steering) as well. A new one is around 20 grand+. Grasshopper has been using Kubota engines for a long time. You can get a F series with a full cab and ac and heat and snow plows, rotary brooms, mowers and even tillers. I weas thinking Grasshopper as well but the F series came up so I grabbed it. Don't know about which does the nicer cut and really don't care actually. Sharp blades yield a nice cut more than anything else and blade tip speed.. I'm done with the gas hog V twins. The F series has a 15 gallon fuel tank btw.

Interestingly, my old boss has a 'diesel Hopper and he says it don't cut as nice as the Kubota F series he bought last fall, so I'd say it's all personal opinion on that. My M50 tank cuts real nice as well, it also sucks down gas faster than my car does. he can well afford both new, I cannot. Got the side discharge model, not the rear discharge. Not gonna tell you what I paid however. Lets just say not too much and I'm having my dealer go through it completely.

/ I need a new lawn mower! #40  
My wife has her on zero turn mower, a Cub Cadet with a steering wheel and no oars either and she loves her's and of course it has a Kohler gas hog V twin on it. None of the vertical V twins gets good fuel usage far as I can tell. Hers is a Hydro Gear. Running hers with the steering wheel sold me on the F series with a steering wheel more than anything else. I really don't care for the oars at all. Couple posters on here have them, Arto as well as Hay Dude and some others. It's at the dealer presently and will be coming to the farm in a month or so. I'll probably deliver it myself and take back the M50 tank. I hear like the oar mowers, it takes some getting used to. I won't miss getting poked by the pine tree limbs anymore. Have a lot of Blue Spruce trees lining the front property line and I always get poked mowing around them with the ZTR.

Having Dennis go through it, oil change, transmission fluid change, new blades, new anti-scalp wheels, air filter and oil filter and grease and wash it and it any of the spindles have any play in them, replace those as well. Don't know squat about them except it's a Kubota and you know me and Kubota's. Enough said. Not a mark or a scrape on it either, was well taken care of and my dealer sold it new to the entity that had it and he did all the required maintenance on it as well and just sold them a new one, so I get theirs. Even get the owners manual with it.