I need a new lawn mower!

/ I need a new lawn mower! #21  
I went from a 42 inch riding mower to a 60 inch zero turn. I really enjoyed mowing with the riding mower. It was relaxing, and comfortable. But when it died, I decided to upgrade to a commercial grade zero turn so I could mow more areas and get it done faster. The zero turn is great at that, but it's not fun, it's not relaxing, and it's not something that I look forward to doing. I mow because I have to, and I'm happy when I'm done mowing.

Last year I got my wife a used 60 inch riding mower. She loves it. She is now mowing a lot of the areas that I've been mowing. It takes her longer to do what I can with the zero turn, but she looks forward to mowing with it, and that means there is less for me to mow with the zero turn.

I've used it a few times to see if it's as enjoyable as I remember it being with my previous riding mower, and it is. But it's a slower pace. The zero turn requires constant attention. The riding mower is slow and easy. After mowing for an hour or more on the zero turn, I'm beat up. An hour on the riding mower, and I'm still up for doing other things. The difference is noticeable!!!!

If I just had an acre to mow, I would focus on making it as smooth and nice as possible, and I would mow it with the most comfortable riding mower that I could afford.

/ I need a new lawn mower! #22  
What is your budget? Look at some of the electric zero turn mowers.

/ I need a new lawn mower! #23  
I picked up a JD-1435 front mower plus I also have a JD-935, an earlier version. Both are diesels with 72" mowers. The 935 has a rear discharge deck and chomps thru old hay fields no sweat. It also serves as the powerplant for my pto driven home generator. On the 1435 I have a 60" broom with has shown itself to be wonderful as a snow clearing machine. Now I've found out that the broom also does a nice job of leaf raking, frost heave leveling, as well as cutting grass.

Used they run around $2000 for the 935 and $3500 for the 1435. Easy starting Yanmar motors. I just picked up an Exmark 72" diesel at a consignment auction for a friend to play with for $3200. It has a Kubota diesel. Not running yet...

/ I need a new lawn mower! #24  
I just purchased a zero turn but kept my rider.
I also have a rear finish mower so multiple choices are good.
The rider is more easier on the back and less stress.
As for a zero turn get one that has commercial grade serviceable drives. Mine has a Kawasaki but everyone has a preference.
One thing that helped me in my model choice was a friend of mine had this particular for years and his kids mowed properties to earn money. So a lot of use.
I asked him about problems and he said none other than what his boys hit and bent.
When I asked how often he serviced his hydros he didnt know you could. Im hoping mine holds up just as well with a bit better maintenance.

/ I need a new lawn mower! #25  
Hello folks,

After giving up on my 314 and sending it on down the line, I am without a mower; this hasn't been a problem, but it'll need to be rectified before we get into Spring. My lawn, if you could call it that, would currently be about an acre on a just under 2 acre property. It barely exists as a lawn, having seen much destruction over the last year, and it was a mess to begin with. However, over time it'll be smoothed out, dried out, and an attempt made to return it to normal.

Traditionally I have mowed with lawn or garden tractors; prior to moving here I had a D160 that I really enjoyed, however I found the lawn (before it's current state) beat the tractor rather hard, so I sold it before it caused any damage. That has me scratching the 100 and 200 series out of the running. That was replaced with a Cub Cadet XT3, which handled the property well, but those are no longer in production. The obvious alternative is the X500 series, but that would need to be used given their premium price. So, that leaves the X300 series; from that I've cut out the K46 machines. From there I've narrowed it down to the X380, or maybe even an X384.

The lawn tractor market is sad these days, the only real alternative to the Deere would be a Cub Cadet XT2 in the higher end. Those seem to be good machines, but the frame is similar to that of the 100/200 series Deere; they're pretty well put together, but I'm a big guy and the flex makes me a little uncomfortable.

Husqvarna isn't even in the running, their lawn and garden tractors are a bit of a farce. So I guess that just leaves the Deere X380/X384, or whatever I can find used.

Or...

I could get a zero-turn.

I've never operated one in my life, but they've taken over the market so there must be something to them. I have a few concerns; first and foremost, will my Big & Tall catalog self be able to operate one comfortably? Not far behind that, I wonder how they do on rough terrain? Mud?

I've looked around the local field, and I've found these machines. Does anyone have any thoughts on them? On zero-turns in general? How they compare to lawn and garden tractors? This will just be a lawn mower, other tasks are handled by the Kioti. That said, I've got a 10P cart I'll be able to use again.

Cub Cadet ZTS2 50

ExMark Quest X

Scag Liberty Z

Ariens IKON

Ariens APEX

Bad Boy ZT Elite

John Deere Z330R

Is there anything I'd be doing a disservice not to look at? I'm trying to stay right around 48" with the deck size. Is there anything to look for on a zero-turn that doesn't apply to a lawn tractor? Anything to avoid?

I'd like to figure this out quick enough, before the Spring rush I suppose.

Maybe keep an eye out and find a used but serviceable X 500. That one we bought for $2400 was pretty ugly but the machine itself was in really good shape and has been a trooper on our rough yards. That diff lock, Kawasaki, and K 72 work well with a good deck as well.

I would buy it again in a heartbeat. Doing a little body work and paint made it presentable.

VERY glad we did not spend similar money on a New lesser Rider.

/ I need a new lawn mower! #26  
I have an X300 I bought in 2010 that has 750 hours on it. Still running just fine. No real issues other than belts and blades etc. As far as the K46 goes, I change the fluid (5/50 synthetic) in it every 100 hours and still functions like the day I bought it.

/ I need a new lawn mower! #27  
I had the same issues with my zero turns on hills with the stock turf tires
I put Carlisle AT 101 bar tires on my zero turns and those issues went away

Attachments

• HPIM1660.JPG
    HPIM1660.JPG
    244 KB · Views: 113
Same problem here, i.e. no traction on hills. Do the bar type tires tear up the lawn pretty bad?

/ I need a new lawn mower! #28  
Same problem here, i.e. no traction on hills. Do the bar type tires tear up the lawn pretty bad?
They can tear the grass up a little if your not careful. Not enough to concern me. Our grass seems to grow right back
Sure beats not being able to mow our hill or sliding off it out of control like I used to deal every time I mowed using the stock crappy turf tires

/ I need a new lawn mower! #29  
I still have turfs on my ZTR. There's a steep section of hill in my yard where I may be tearing up the yard more spinning with turfs than if I changed to bar tread.

Cub Cadet makes steering wheel ZTRs which are easier to control on hills because the front wheels are steerable, but they seem to be priced about $1,000 more than the equivalent regular ZTRs.

/ I need a new lawn mower! #30  
I've never had an issue with traction on hills with my 72" Hustler. Now, my father in laws 52" residential version? Yes. It's weight. The XOne weighs 1425 pounds, and easily sticks to hills.

The 52" Raptor, sucks on a grade. It is about half the weight.
Also never had a ZTR tear up the lawn, unless it was being driven incorrectly... If driven correctly, it won't harm the turf at all.

Last edited: