I hate my PTO

/ I hate my PTO #1  

shooterdon

Elite Member
Near Johannesburg MI but in the middle of nowhere
Tractor
2019 LS XR4140 HST Cab; 2020 Kawasaki Mule SX; 2021 Bad Boy 54" ZT Elite
Today I hooked up my FarmKing 74 inverted blower. Winter is still a number of weeks away but I like being prepared. Today was cool so it seemed like a good day to get弾r done.

After struggling with the PTO for over 20 minutes I finally got it connected. I was drenched in sweat. I store the blower indoors and keep the connection well lubed. It is so difficult to pull back on the ring while trying to align the splines and push forward. Getting old (70 this week) and having a slightly sprained thumb do not help.

I came close to detaching the PTO guard to give me better access but hate removing a safety device.

Not sure I can do this as I get older. Is there a better device out there?

/ I hate my PTO #2  
Honest to goodness, PTO's and 3pt hitches are one of the main factors that drove me to PowerTrac. Quick attach from the driver's seat, then hook up some hydraulic hoses and off you go.

/ I hate my PTO #3  
I don't think I own a pto with the guard on it. I just don't go near one operating . . . EVER!

PTO shields on Tractors, get removed first day.

AND, I still have a hard time pushing on the shafts half the time.

/ I hate my PTO #4  
My old PTO had a button to push when trying to slip things together. With my newer one I have turn a rubber outer ring to retract the latch on the PTO. I've not seen one with a ring to pull. By the way, I'm 74 but I don't have the disadvantage of a sprained thumb.

/ I hate my PTO
My old PTO had a button to push when trying to slip things together. With my newer one I have turn a rubber outer ring to retract the latch on the PTO. I've not seen one with a ring to pull. By the way, I'm 74 but I don't have the disadvantage of a sprained thumb.

The old bush hog I sold had the push button connector and it seemed easier to use. Might be what I need to convert to.

/ I hate my PTO #6  
My jury is out on what is easier. The single button is more prone to jamming. The collar is easier but requires a better two handed grip and body position.

/ I hate my PTO #7  
The push button driveline yokes are much better. Those **** slide collar yokes suck. If you take your driveline to a good dealer they can order a push button yoke and replace the slide collar yoke. Cost should not be too bad either. I have never met anyone who preferred the collar style yokes. The third option would to find a safety lock style yoke, its collar slides back and locks back. When you slide it on the pto the collar automatically releases and locks. However those are normally only found on the big drivelines.

Hooking up the round baler drivelines with a slide collar yoke is the worst, they weigh about 70 lbs and your trying to pull the #$%^ collar back while wrestling it into place. This weekend I did silage. Was using two wagons, one with a pin style yoke and one with a slide collar yoke. The pin style yoke was much nicer to use, only had to hook and unhook wagons 17 times that day. Was glad the drivelines were small.

/ I hate my PTO #8  
4A8C11E5-B764-4DBA-BEEA-179548D5A6E9.pngPersonally i like the overrunning clutch on my tractor, because the pto spindle is free turning by hand. Easy to line up.

/ I hate my PTO #10  
I, too, remove the PTO shields the day I get them home.
It might OK if you're a midget but for an adult male you can't manipulate around that thing.

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

6 Yard steel end load dumpster, used w/ normal wear & tear (A33073)
6 Yard steel end...
1998 Chevrolet K1500 Pickup Truck (A33544)
1998 Chevrolet...
2021 John Deere 333G Compact Track Loader (A33113)
2021 John Deere...
Bobcat 80" Severe Duty Bucket (A32803)
Bobcat 80" Severe...
Sany SY50 Hydraulic Excavator Thumb (A33113)
Sany SY50...
100 GAL BETTER BUILT FUEL TANK AND PUMP (A32908)
100 GAL BETTER...