I broke it again.

/ I broke it again. #41  
The wheel motors are in fabricated "boxes" on the low profile machines I have seen. Fabricate new extended motor boxes to move the wheels wider apart without any additional stress. Fill the tires with ballast to lower center of gravity.

I think the Z-bar repair looks good if no impact shock in the future.

/ I broke it again. #42  
Metal reinforcement at the center should help resist future breaks since there may be some metal fatigue after the previous break.

I wonder if there would be a way to inexpensively fabricate some kind of outrigger axle support that would make dual wheels workable with the existing wheel motors?
It would be awfully cumbersome. But there's always a way to do anything.

Dual wheels on flat ground wouldn't be an issue. It's when you get the weight supported only on the outer edges of the outer tires that it introduces higher side loads on the wheel motor shafts.

There might be stronger wheel motors available in the same displacement that could handle the side loads. I'd guess you might have to modify the wheel motor mounting as well.

All kinds of fun things can be done with hydraulics.

/ I broke it again. #43  
Metal reinforcement at the center should help resist future breaks since there may be some metal fatigue after the previous break.

I wonder if there would be a way to inexpensively fabricate some kind of outrigger axle support that would make dual wheels workable with the existing wheel motors?
The issue isn't so much bracing the motor mount as it is off axis thrust loads on the motor bearings. Dual wheels make an enormous increase in the thrust loads compared to single wheels. The 18XX series uses smaller wheels / tires to keep those thrust loads down. (Roughly 700lbf of static axial load per motor, plus safety factors puts one in the 2,500-4,000lbf range.)

There are motors with higher axial thrust ratings, but my recollection is that when I looked into them years ago, four high axial thrust motors for my 1445 were more than a new 1445.

All the best,

Peter

/ I broke it again. #45  
The wheel motors are in fabricated "boxes" on the low profile machines I have seen. Fabricate new extended motor boxes to move the wheels wider apart without any additional stress. Fill the tires with ballast to lower center of gravity.

I think the Z-bar repair looks good if no impact shock in the future.
Didn't someone here do that?

All the best, Peter

/ I broke it again. #47  
Didn't someone here do that?

All the best, Peter
I recall (I think) former PT owner JDbeach (sp) had a 425 that he wanted to use on beach sand. He needed larger tires to float over the sand. Larger tires would effectively gear down the unit and make it weak at slow speeds. He and PowerTrac made an arrangement for them to put larger displacement wheel motors on the unit. That effectively geared it back up again. (I think they were from a 1430). The larger motors took a different mount. I think a BOX was welded to the outside of the unit to mount each motor.

Also, I recall another member putting larger displacement motors on a 425. He got the mounting boxes from PT, I think. It effectively cut the top speed down quite a bit, but made it a mountain goat.

That brings me to the following:
I feel horrible. As I recall, that member passed away. He was a great resource and I think he also had a Simplicity tractor website. I cannot remember his username....

Found it. kentT

RIP Kent Thomas!

Here's a link to some of his videos on Youtube.

This one mentions the larger wheel motors:

2001 PT-425 with Kohler CH25 engine running 48" brush cutter. Wheel motors upgraded from 12.5ci to 22.7ci to increase torque. Wheels reversed and loaded with winter-mix windshield washer fluid and HydroSeal sealant to add stability

You can clearly see it's now wider stance with wheel boxes.

/ I broke it again. #48  
HERE YOU GO!

Great discussion and pictures. Thanks again kentT!

/ I broke it again. #49  
@MossRoad Thank you, thank you!

Those were the two that I was thinking of. Kent T's 425 did some amazing slope work and chip moving as I recall.

All the best,

Peter