Hydraulic limb saw project.

/ Hydraulic limb saw project. #1  

Smokeydog

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B26, M59, M5030DT
Been wanting to build something like this for sometime. Now there are several brands available. Probably cost and time more efficient to buy a quality and time tested one like LimbSaw. What’s the fun in that? Plus some other features I would like to explore.

Just getting started so haven’t got to the finished product yet. Forum will help to encourage me to continue while getting valuable input along the way. Slow and steady wins the race.

Material selection has more to do with scrap pile inventory.

Using 2” receiver mounts already in service on several attachment.

Main boom made 3” square tube, 0.25” wall. 8’ long. 2.5” sleeve and 2” square bar for receiver. Tried to knock together using 16# sledge. No go. Installed on tractor a nudged, bumped against rock wall to press fit together. Nice and tight before welding. Little more than 9’ now. Getting heavy fast. Going R&D hanging storage system in the tractor shed or barns.

Did a drive around to test height on some oak, walnut and pechickory trees needing trimmed. This might work.
IMG_2109.JPG

IMG_2108.JPG

/ Hydraulic limb saw project. #2  
If you need any encouragement you got some from here. What are you planning to use for a saw - do you know yet ? Seems plenty heavy especially if you put a backbone on it. But then again, if if gets pinched it can take a lot of force to free it. Keep going !

gg

/ Hydraulic limb saw project.
Thanks for the encouragement. I’m sure technique can help prevent getting pinched. Got a Parker MGG hydraulic motor to try from Surplus Center. Being able to reverse might help get out of a pinch.

/ Hydraulic limb saw project. #4  
Interesting project. What's the term for a valve that has a detent to stay engaged, but powered ie not float? I know log splitter valves do this. My B8200 loader valve seems to do it but it may not be a 'feature'. :ROFLMAO:

/ Hydraulic limb saw project. #5  
That could result in a very useful implement. Several years ago I saw a hydraulically powered limb saw at the Kubota dealership. It was just like a Stihl gas powered limb saw - but much more robust construction. It had been returned because it was just too heavy. And it was probably pretty cumbersome to use. Had a 25 foot hydraulic hose attached. I was looking for something easier than my 'ol manual pole saw.

Every year I walk my mile long driveway - trimming back overhanging limbs.

/ Hydraulic limb saw project. #6  
If you look at the commercial versions of these they almost always use a rotary saw instead of a chain saw. I wonder if that is the key to preventing pinching.

A large circular saw powered by a generator and controlled by a switch at the operator seat might work.

/ Hydraulic limb saw project.
Hope I can put the decades of using a manual pole experience to prevent pinching to use. Finesse and experience over brute strength.

LimbSaw makes a circular trimmer too. Be good to get user feedback.

Drilling for some plug welds for the male receiver, sleeve and boom joining.
IMG_2112.JPG

/ Hydraulic limb saw project. #8  
Here's my thoughts. I see that you have already welded the receiver onto your bucket. I don't know if you can tilt the bucket down more that pictured but if you can't then it's going to be tougher to come down on top of the limb to cut it. If you would make something to attach to the teeth of the bucket it would give you slightly more reach and a lot more flexibility when it comes to using the saw. What I see is hard to put into words but I hope I've explained myself well enough.

Interesting project and I'm looking forward to the rest of the thread.

/ Hydraulic limb saw project. #9  
   / Hydraulic limb saw project. #10  
I like my LimbSaw to trim high branches but it will get in a bind if not careful