Hydraulic limb saw project.

/ Hydraulic limb saw project. #11  
I like the looks of that. I didn't realize that there was a knee in the equation. Disregard my earlier post.

/ Hydraulic limb saw project. #12  
I looked for something like that for years. Or attach a lawn mower blade to a horizontal shaft motor mounted on the side of the loader bucket. Finally I got a LaneShark, which is a side (or other) mount brush cutter that mounts on the quick attach. Does a pretty good job.

/ Hydraulic limb saw project.
IMG_2113.JPG

Welded 1/2” plate strongback on top of transition joints. Four plug welds. I’m a better designer and engineer than welder. If old shaky can do it anyone can. Always get a little better toward the end of the project.

Thought about attaching finger guards to the chainsaw blade to help cut thin limbs along the road. Much like a sickle bar mower to trim down the road.

Last edited:
IMG_2132.JPG

Boom weldment in paint drip shop for a few warm weather days. Don’t know if paint has gotten drippier or my techniques have degraded. Copious swarms of gnats or hackberry hairy aphids add a little texture to the finish.

120# so far. About all I can carry.
Fork lift handles to facilitate handing and storage options. Hydraulic hose clamps and guides.

Next is the saw arm.

/ Hydraulic limb saw project. #16  
Good progress SmokeyDog. Almost there. :) Looks like you had a plan.

That is a interesting looking shop building. Is there any particular history behind that or is it typical construction where you are ??

gg

/ Hydraulic limb saw project. #17  
Very nice.

Good progress SmokeyDog. Almost there. :) Looks like you had a plan.

That is a interesting looking shop building. Is there any particular history behind that or is it typical construction where you are ??

gg

WW II home started during the Manhattan Project. Built by a lady using local materials and local labor. Both her and her husband worked thru the war and after. She did farming and construction. He brought us into the atomic age. The rock walls are structural, 2-4’ thick. Part Frank Loyd Wright, part bomb shelter, part Scottish castle all from natural or salvage materials. One of many unique structures on the farm.

IMG_2140.JPG

Maybe sometime like this for the saw arm?
Important to only have the hinged weight on the saw when cutting and not bind the saw. Touch the limb then lower till you see hinge retainer slack, cut and repeat if necessary. Controls the cutting pressure. Little feedback of amount down pressure from loader hydraulics. From some who have done this before say a piece of chain works best monitor the hinge play?

/ Hydraulic limb saw project. #20  
That all makes good sense. I was wondering how you would manage the saw pressure.

gg