Oil & Fuel Hydraulic and Motor oil questions for 2210D

/ Hydraulic and Motor oil questions for 2210D #21  
   / Hydraulic and Motor oil questions for 2210D
good one California. Was wondering what was with all the insults and i know exactly what manual i think he got. Its an operator manual thats xeroxed. I got mine for free and thats about all its worth

Obviously, no insults were intended. Some just seem short with their answer and seem to expect me to be knowledgeable about tractors and such when this is my first. Like any good mechanic, some would rather pass their knowledge on with a specific question than just say, "buy the service manual and find your answers there."

California said:
Do you insult everyone you ask for advice?

Japanese aren't stupid and didn't specify that drain plug over the drive shaft. You need to understand that what you bought is a FrankensteinMar cobbled together from various used parts never intended by Yanmar to be used on the same tractor.

I hope you read the negative feedback from the last guy who bought that Parts (not Service!) manual off ebay.
"Mostly in Japanese. Found it useless for my needs."
I only mention that because I have seen the plug on the side of the oil pan on some 2210 Yanmars but I'm assuming they weren't "grey markets"?

As for the hydraulic filter, no one seem to address whether or not you could remove and inspect it without having hydraulic fluid drain all out or not.

I appreciate all the responses here and look forward to following any sound advice that will help me get years out of my Yanmar. Again, no attitude intended, just appreciation!:thumbsup:

/ Hydraulic and Motor oil questions for 2210D #23  
Ok, I think we're all on the same page now. :D Welcome!

* There isn't a US version 2210. That was Japan-market only. It is a very capable model and a favorite gray-market import here.

* 2210's engine seems to be real similar to YM240/YM2000, think of the same thing but the next year model. There are excellent manuals for YM240 in English published by Yanmar-USA when they had a dealer network here. YM2210 is heavier than YM2000 and has Powershift so the engine is the only part closely similar. Even so, YM240 Operation Manual is probably the best owner's manual you will find that will illustrate Yanmar's design philosophy, maintenance intervals, etc. Used original paper YM240 Operation, Parts, and Service manuals are usually available on ebay but I see they are getting more expensive. The CD reprints of these are convenient too.

* Note that the Deeres were nearly all built to Deere specs and aren't like Yanmar's domestic or US models. And part numbers are unique Deere numbers even when its the same component. So there isn't close interchangeability. One exception is YM2500/JD850 (I think) which are near identical. There might be a couple more twins like this. Some of us have found a Deere parts counter to be uncooperative as soon as you say Yanmar, even when you have a Yanmar-USA model that the same dealer likely sold new. BTDT.

* Cleaning the hydraulic 'strainer' (mesh) is highly recommended. I'm not convinced you need new fluid if what you find is clean with no debris or water. The strainer will be at the lowest point and will require draining the transmission. You don't need a new paper gasket for the access plate, just a light layer of RTF sealer to seal it up again. Fluid labelled equivalent to JD303, or better yet, a more modern multigrade UTF (Universal Tractor Fluid) is what you need. Some dealers who post here have recommended ATF. Ordinary hydraulic fluid doesn't have the right additives for high-stress low speed gearing.

/ Hydraulic and Motor oil questions for 2210D #25  
All 2210's are Grey it will have a 3 digit model number if american made :)

/ Hydraulic and Motor oil questions for 2210D #26  
Great info. SC member here!!
seems; be been looking all morning for this info😇

/ Hydraulic and Motor oil questions for 2210D #27  
seems; be been looking all morning for this info😇
Welcome!

A suggestion, write a post describing what you bought and asking whatever questions you have. You will likely get more useful information than the random stuff you would find in ancient threads like this one.

Answering most of your questions: the YM240 Operator Manual in English, describing the most similar American-version Yanmar, is the best match for what you need to know. YM240 is manual transmission but the Powershift you have is bulletproof so you don't need details on that feature, just run it and enjoy. That manual on CD is inexpensive.

YM240 Operator Manual from about 1978 is outdated on fluids. Any modern 15W40 diesel rated motor oil is better. 5 (??) quarts. The oil filter should be same as YM240 which is a very common Honda/Nissan/Subaru/Mazda etc filter and there are several varieties, different length etc, that are all suitable. YM240 is listed in Wix, Baldwin etc filter books.

For the transmission/hydraulic reservoir, the '303' specified in that manual is obsolete and not recommended. a UTF (Universal Tractor Fluid) claiming compliance to Deere J20C multigrade specs, or better, is the modern recommendation. Quantity will be about 5 gallons.

Last edited:
   / Hydraulic and Motor oil questions for 2210D #28  
Millions of VW TDIs running around with 5w30 in their crankcases. What I run in the 2025R Yanmar engine and in our Isuzu generator driver.

In future, I plan to try to get 0w30 (probably online) M1 ESP. In past, I was getting the 5w30 Castrol for VW TDIs from the VW dealer.

/ Hydraulic and Motor oil questions for 2210D #29  
seems; be been looking all morning for this info

Welcome!
There us also a separate group maintained by Hoye Tractor. Many like me are on both groups.
Some info on your YM2210B
The 4 digit is a typical give a way that your tractor is a gray market tractor. Basically this means it was not build for the USA market and did not meet the safety requirements for that market. Nor was it required to be upgraded to those standards when it was brought over. It also means that your labels are all in Japanese. Most are not hard to figure out.
The first 2 number digits refer to the PTO HP, unlike USA models that list engine HP. So your 22hp at the PTO translates to roughly 26hp at the engine (22*1.2).
The last 2 digits on your model ‘10’ refer to the powershift transmission and its control lever being located on top of the transmission.
Sorry I have forgotten what the B represents. If you encounter a YMxxxxD the D represents 4x4.
You may already know all of that, I would agree that questions should be done in a new post as it tends to be found by others easier.
The other responser to you provided lots of good solid info. (Old post like this one can be good references as well, but lots of time reading to find the topics you want.)

/ Hydraulic and Motor oil questions for 2210D #30  
'B' is the premium version trim. Fancy black plastic instrument panel. And I think more soundproofing panels on the left and right sides of the engine. I think instruments in place of idiot lights. Functionally - no difference.