Oil & Fuel Hydraulic and Motor oil questions for 2210D

/ Hydraulic and Motor oil questions for 2210D #1  

BPetk

Tractor
1980 Yanmar 2210D 2T90
Update: I thought a fellow Yanmar tractor owner could help answer these few questions. I also thought tractorbynet was a reputable tractor forum. Am I wrong? If you can't answer these simple basic questions that I know nothing about, then just read the post and move on. No need to knock a newbie!

I'm new to the tractor world and would appreciate any help one can give. Never owned anything remotely close to a tractor except my Mule.
I just got a so-called grey-market 1979-80 Yanmar 2210D. This thing can be aggravating! Had to replace temp switch and oil sending unit, neither of which worked.
Wasn't able to change the oil like a normal tractor(Darn Japanese!) because the stupid drain plug sits above the drive-shaft for 4wd so I had to improvise and manually suck the oil out through dipstick hole. Yes, I got the majority of it based on hearing the dipstick hit the bottom of pan and nothing showing. Wasn't sure on how to go about taking shaft out. Not why I'm here.<just venting>:eek:

I know I need, I guess, a service manual to accomplish basic maint. Where might I find the English version that someone is not trying to rip you off No...that's not saying I'm cheap....I'm frugal!!;)

There's 201hrs on hr meter. "According" to original owner, since he bought it as a grey-market refurb. (I'm sure it could be manipulated!)
The fluid that is in the PTO just in front of seat is at top of hash marks and is as clear as if coming straight out of container. Owner said it hasn't been changed since purchase. Now the motor oil was a diff. story black as Africa.
My problem/question is, without knowing when the last change was, how do you know when to change the hydraulic fluid?
Also, I purchased a 5 gal bucket of R&O Anti-wear hydraulic fluid. Is this the appropriate fluid? I see some forums suggest hydraulic transmission fluid. Not sure if this is the same.
I understand this unit only has a screen for hydraulics. Where and how might this be visually checked? Will hyd oil come gushing out or can this be done with full reservoir?
Also, I found different motor oil discussions! For State of Georgia spring/summer/fall only, is it 15w40, 10w40, SAE30 or 5w20? (all of which were discussed as being used)

Last edited:
   / Hydraulic and Motor oil questions for 2210D #2  
Re: Do they make a book called Tractors for Dummies? Don't hate me for many question

You need the Owner's Manual for your tractor, which will inform you as to the proper fluid grades for your tractor.

I would look on eBay for your manual first. If that does not work, try Google. If Google does not supply a source for the manual someone here may know what the closest non-gray market model to your tractor is, and you will have to make do with that manual.

You need motor oil refined specifically for diesel, NOT GAS, engines. Shell Rotella is widely available. Diesel motor oil often gets very dark before it needs to be changed. An oil change is much cheaper than repairing a seized engine.

It is recommended to change ALL tractor fluids and filters on bringing a used tractor home unless there is a reliable maintenance log with the tractor.

You will get more useful responses if you change your title to NEED MANUAL FOR YANMAR 2210D. Your existing title does not conform to your questions.

Good luck.

Last edited:
   / Hydraulic and Motor oil questions for 2210D #3  
Why do you thing a service manual should only be $20.00? Most truck related one I have seen are $75. And up to a few hundred. I would thing tractor ones would be in the same price range

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Hydraulic and Motor oil questions for 2210D
Well, with jeff9366 suggestion, I checked eBay and low & behold.....$19.95 for 2210 service manual. That's what I was talking about....others are just money hungry!

/ Hydraulic and Motor oil questions for 2210D #5  
...how do you know when to change the hydraulic fluid?
Also, I purchased a 5 gal bucket of R&O Anti-wear hydraulic fluid. Is this the appropriate fluid? I see some forums suggest hydraulic transmission fluid. Not sure if this is the same.
I understand this unit only has a screen for hydraulics. Where and how might this be visually checked? Will hyd oil come gushing out or can this be done with full reservoir?
...! For State of Georgia spring/summer/fall only, is it 15w40, 10w40, SAE30 or 5w20?

Don't use the R&O oil. You should use something like "Universal Tractor Fluid" or similar. It should say "tractor hydraulic and transmission fluid" or something similar. They will meet specification for JD303 and a host of other standards.

The usual recommendation is somewhere around 250 hours or so, or yearly. My thoughts have always been that the peace of mind and potential benefit of changing fluids early or unnecessarily far outweigh the potential costs. Plus, then you have a known service interval start time.

The hydraulic filter will be behind a plate underneath the tractor. There is a good step by step for your model here: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/yanmar/108454-changing-hyd-fluid-cleaning-screen.html

Asking about what oil to use always brings ample numbers of opinions and points of view. I use synthetic 5W40. I believe it matters not at all, and that the largest factor is keeping the oil reasonably freshly changed along with the filter.

I also thought tractorbynet was a reputable tractor forum. Am I wrong? If you can't answer these simple basic questions that I know nothing about, then just read the post and move on. No need to knock a newbie!

Just so you know, these came across to me as very challenging comments/remarks. The Yanmar section of this forum, in particular, is EXTREMELY civil, and has at least one member who literally drove some distance to help someone else repair their tractor, having only known him through this board. "Knocking a newbie" here has never occurred that I have seen. Hopefully you will find this a useful resource, as I have dozens of times over, and are able to offer suggestions or help for other members in the future. Welcome aboard, I hope you are able to find what you want.

/ Hydraulic and Motor oil questions for 2210D #6  
Welcome to the forum. :welcome:

/ Hydraulic and Motor oil questions for 2210D #7  
Well, with jeff9366 suggestion, I checked eBay and low & behold.....$19.95 for 2210 service manual. That's what I was talking about....others are just money hungry!

Wait until manual arrives and you have a chance to evaluate it before you express happiness. Most manuals on eBay are fine. Some eBay manuals are photocopies of original manuals, untranslated from a non-English language.

Usually there is one manual for the tractor and a second, separate manual for the FEL.

You need to have a moderately thick skin to interact on this forum. There are 250,000 registered members, which includes ALL KINDS. Some days I am a little curmudgeonly myself.

Again, Good Luck.

/ Hydraulic and Motor oil questions for 2210D #8  
You need either "303" fluid that is called that sometimes or universal tractor, transmission hydraulic fluid. Not just Hydro fluid. that does not have the right additives for your gears and bearings.

/ Hydraulic and Motor oil questions for 2210D #9  
oh and i use 15w-30 and i am near you in SC...basically the same climate

/ Hydraulic and Motor oil questions for 2210D #10  
What do you mean by,"reputable tractor forum"?