How to Recover a Lost Submersible Well Pump

/ How to Recover a Lost Submersible Well Pump
Did I miss something? Is the 500’ of pipe already out? That is the hardest part. 20-25 years ago means there probably will be 20’ sections of pvc down 500’. So 25 pieces to pull. If the pump is broken off the at the bottom it won’t weight much. When you do it normally, the pipe is filled with water and the pump is on the end. So 500’ would be a lot of weight. But if you pull the pipe without something to support it out of the hole it will break. So you need something to support each piece as it comes out and gets unscrewed from the next piece of pipe. Or just factor in getting new pipe.
No, the pipe is still in the well. It's definitely iron pipe according to the neighbor who saw it installed 25 years ago. I'm familiar with the removal process. the well guys use a special clamp that holds the pipe coupler. It hooks to the lip of the well casing and keeps it from turning while each piece is unscrewed.

It is possible the pipe and or pump was damaged when it hit the bottom of the well so it probably should be pulled completely to check. In that case, a new pump on poly pipe will go back in.

/ How to Recover a Lost Submersible Well Pump #22  
To get the wire, do you have a extendable tree trimmer tool with the hook/cutter - this could grab the wire - cover the cutter knife with something rigid so you dont cut but grip the wire and pull up slowly.

You should be able to pull with the wire once you get it top side, but if its all galvanized pipe thats a pro job. If it was plastic it's doable.

/ How to Recover a Lost Submersible Well Pump
To get the wire, do you have a extendable tree trimmer tool with the hook/cutter - this could grab the wire - cover the cutter knife with something rigid so you dont cut but grip the wire and pull up slowly.

You should be able to pull with the wire once you get it top side, but if its all galvanized pipe thats a pro job. If it was plastic it's doable.
It's definitely iron pipe.

/ How to Recover a Lost Submersible Well Pump #24  
No, the pipe is still in the well. It's definitely iron pipe according to the neighbor who saw it installed 25 years ago. I'm familiar with the removal process. the well guys use a special clamp that holds the pipe coupler. It hooks to the lip of the well casing and keeps it from turning while each piece is unscrewed.

It is possible the pipe and or pump was damaged when it hit the bottom of the well so it probably should be pulled completely to check. In that case, a new pump on poly pipe will go back in.
Ok. I am following now. You could probably grab the top of the pipe and pull it up high enough to repair the pitless adapter. Not sure what you have for equipment but if it is iron pipe that didn’t break when it hit the bottom, going to be a lot of weight to haul up. So Probably not by hand. Use a come along or something or a tractor with something else to pull backwards with the rope over the bucket and with a vehicle pulling back? Going to be luck if you can get something around the pipe/pitless. Then you are back to where you started at least…

/ How to Recover a Lost Submersible Well Pump #25  
If you did get the wire and pipe up to the top, you could get a new pitless adaptor installed and maybe you don't need a new pump - could be an upside to trying to pull this up now.

/ How to Recover a Lost Submersible Well Pump #26  
I do not think the wire connection is going to support the weight. You will have to grab the pipe. At best the wire is connected to pump soldered and shrink wrapped. Then electrical taped to the pipe. if you have iron pipe, pump and water for 400-500’ That will be over 1000 pounds. Just not sure of weight since I have never seen iron pipe used. Could be more like 2000 pounds. Even PVC pipe would be close to 800 pounds at that depth.

/ How to Recover a Lost Submersible Well Pump #27  
1 1/4" sch. 40 pipe app. 2.27 pounds per ft; sch 80 3 pounds per ft.

1 1/2" sch 40 pipe app. 2.72 pounds per ft; sch 80 3.63 pounds per ft.

Also depending on the depth of the water the pump and pipe will appear to be lighter while submersed.

I would not trust the wiring for much of a pull, but a hook or noose around the pipe and pitless adapter would be good.

Also most of the pitless adapters I've been around are threaded for 1" npt at the pull point.

/ How to Recover a Lost Submersible Well Pump #28  
I suddenly lost all pressure and water began collecting around the well head. The well is +/- 500' deep with a 3/4 hp. submersible pump in a 6" casing. I dug out and exposed the pipe where it connects to the casing and found water spraying out around the pit-less adapter. I removed the pipe from the adapter and found it was loose where it connects to the well casing. Like a bone head, I pulled the loose adapter from the casing without first securing the pump pipe at the well head. Yeah, the pipe, pump & wiring went for a swim. As I recall, the pump was set about 30' above the well point so the iron supply pipe & broken adapter should be 30 to 35' below the well head. Unfortunately, I can't see it with a flashlight and the steel recovery cable has long since rotted away.

Since I lack any special equipment, I called the local well service company but they are still backed up due to the pandemic. They say it could be a month before they can get out here. Luckily, the well serves just the barn and I'm carrying water up from the house for the livestock.

I could put the system back together myself if I could recover the pump. I don't have to pull it completely from the well, just enough to install a new pit-less adapter. I know the weight of the pump and 400+' of pipe will be excessive. Assuming I can grapple the pipe somehow, I'll have to rig a tripod & winch to lift it. Well drillers use a camera, special grapple and winch rig to recover pumps. Should I just keep hauling water and wait for the experts?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Just a thought and it probably has already been suggested. If there is enough water above the top of the broken pipe, jusst put in a new pump and new pitless adapter and leave the junk in there.

/ How to Recover a Lost Submersible Well Pump #29  
I recently had a well pump replaced. The experienced well technician had a boom truck with special rigging to lift the old pipe up one section at a time, then grip it again close to the well head so the recently raised section could be unscrewed/removed.

I can't imagine trying to DIY that using a tractor, bucket, come-a-long, or anything else available to me. The vertical lift and need to hold something up that high, securely, while changing the attach point was beyond that ....

/ How to Recover a Lost Submersible Well Pump #30  
When I replace my 3hp pump sitting ~210 feet plumbed with 2" or 3" galvanized steel pipe the boom truck did some serious wheelies and gyrations for the first couple of sections. Also took 4' pipe wrenches with cheater bars to break the pipe section apart. Need the big pump to move water up to the 12,000 gallon tank on top of the ridge, about 500' above the pump, 300' feet above the bottom of the water system. Get good pressure from gravity alone and the pump only runs once a week during busiest months.