how to get old telephone poles

/ how to get old telephone poles #41  

Bridge4, just curious, what do you want to do with the poles?
I've got some ditches to cross, the ups and downs are too steep and I want to open up the property more.

/ how to get old telephone poles #42  
I've got some ditches to cross, the ups and downs are too steep and I want to open up the property more.
So you want to use them as beams for building a bridge? What length of the pole were you looking to use as I thought mainly just the bottoms (10' or so) of the poles were treated for rot, but I'm not totally sure??

/ how to get old telephone poles #43  
I’ve always thought with the number of TBN members we have here, many with trucks and trailers, we could start our own “hauling network”.
It would be a great opportunity for extra $ and a way to get to meet each other.

/ how to get old telephone poles #44  
Yeiks. I hauled my own. Only 30 minute haul

/ how to get old telephone poles #45  
So you want to use them as beams for building a bridge? What length of the pole were you looking to use as I thought mainly just the bottoms (10' or so) of the poles were treated for rot, but I'm not totally sure??
yes, the span is about 40 feet is the issue. The folks I've talked with so far, the entire pole have been treated, but I'm waiting on a few people to get back to me in town about options they know of locally.

I just got one quote back at 9k for shipping!!!! Makes that 1500 look like a steal.

/ how to get old telephone poles #46  
yes, the span is about 40 feet is the issue. The folks I've talked with so far, the entire pole have been treated, but I'm waiting on a few people to get back to me in town about options they know of locally.

I just got one quote back at 9k for shipping!!!! Makes that 1500 look like a steal.
That's a pretty big span. Is this just going to be a bridge for people to walk across, no equipment?

/ how to get old telephone poles #47  
That's a pretty big span. Is this just going to be a bridge for people to walk across, no equipment?
you nailed it again, maybe a 4 wheeler. There is a way to get the tractor where I want, but its not easy for walking or having fun. I had some wood from the property for my first attempt. 3 Feet of wet snow wiped one side out after maybe 5 years, looking to just get something more uniform and "predictable" in its lifespan.

/ how to get old telephone poles #48  
Funny story of how I got two power poles delivered for free. :)

Idiot builder set spec house under the line. Then had to pay power company to move the line 30 feet over to clear. Moving the line required moving two poles on my property, beyond the existing easement. I asked the engineer for the old poles. "No can do..." "Okay "say I, so I ignored their new right of way easement document. :(

A few weeks later, I come home with two new poles set on my property. I respectfully asked the crew to leave my property, which they did.

Called up the engineer with an offer. "I'll trade you two brand new poles for two old poles." With his positive answer, I signed his new easement document. Then, they transferred the lines to the new poles. And I got two poles with delivery... free.
(moving the poles suited me, since they allowed more clear area.) :p

/ how to get old telephone poles #49  
@bridge4 how far West in Mass are you? I know of some for sale in southern NH. I am also looking to do something similar as you and that is where I found some.

/ how to get old telephone poles #50  
@bridge4 how far West in Mass are you? I know of some for sale in southern NH. I am also looking to do something similar as you and that is where I found some.
I touch NY and VT basically if I stretch too hard in the morning. Lots of NH is within a reasonable drive to me. 1-3 hours.