how to get old telephone poles

/ how to get old telephone poles #1  

mlinnane

Bronze Member
Tractor
mf 165
I live in upstate NY 30 minutes west of albany can anyone tell me who I can buy old telephone poles from?

/ how to get old telephone poles #2  
Call your local elect company -- or the city -- my neighbor just bought several to cut up for fence posts from the nearby town -- worked out to $4 per post -- BIG posts.

/ how to get old telephone poles #3  
we "use" to be able to do that here: now you have to be someones buddy: they say they cannot sell the post because they are treated with creosote, which is a haz material that has to be disposed of properly: but they can give them to their buddies...
heehaw

/ how to get old telephone poles #4  
Here in my part of Texas, TXU is the utility company and they have a contract with a company that gets every pole they pull. No sales to the public.

Good luck,
Eddie

/ how to get old telephone poles #5  
We're pretty luck here. When the local electric coop replaces poles, the leave the old ones for the land owner.

I did find another source locally. Rail Works (or something like that) had a contract to dispose of ties and utility poles replaced on railroad right of way. They sell the best ties and poles real cheap and pulverize the rest to burn in steam generation plants. You might check to see is there's some company in your area that provides a similar service. This place literally had *mountains* of ties and utility poles available.

/ how to get old telephone poles #6  
Where we lived down in the country, we had an electric co-op and members could buy the used poles. A few years ago my brother paid $1 a foot for them.

/ how to get old telephone poles #7  
It's funny how people always call them telephone poles but 99.9% of the time they are talking about power poles. Not many telephone poles around since nearly all telephone lines are now buried underground.

/ how to get old telephone poles #8  
Maybe in the urban areas, but the poles in the rural areas are usually shared by the power, phone, and cable guys.
You can buy RR ties most anywhere and they are even more saturated with creosote than the poles. So disposing of old poles as a hazard, as mentioned earlier, seems to be a racket for someone.

/ how to get old telephone poles #9  
Word for word, that is what my power company told me. Strange how the creosote all of a sudden become hazardous once the pole has been removed.

/ how to get old telephone poles #10  
Try Powerline construction in Clinton. I Think I paid $20 for one a couple of years ago.