how to get old telephone poles

/ how to get old telephone poles #21  
One of the old farms I work in my area has hundreds of overly thick fence posts made of old T-poles. He must have had a connection with someone that just dropped them off at his farm. Short pieces of T-pole everywhere on the property.
I need 15 to rebuild a lean-to roof in the upcoming months. None to be found.
I think as others said in the past, they are getting harder to sell to the public. I've called a few scrap yards looking for steel lengths and most won't talk to me because they can't sell to me. It's really a shame.

/ how to get old telephone poles #22  
I think as others said in the past, they are getting harder to sell to the public. I've called a few scrap yards looking for steel lengths and most won't talk to me because they can't sell to me. It's really a shame.
We have a similar situation brewing here with compost. We have millions of tons of compost created here locally from all the mushrooms grown in my area. The mushroom farmers give it to the local hay farmers and we spread it on our fields to help grow our crops. Then we sell hay back to them. A perfect way to keep each others businesses going. Lately a G___________ agency has been cracking down on piling of compost, the way it’s spread, etc. It’s just a matter of time before they interfere too much and ruin this cooperative that’s been in existence for over 100 years.

/ how to get old telephone poles #23  
It's funny how people always call them telephone poles but 99.9% of the time they are talking about power poles. Not many telephone poles around since nearly all telephone lines are now buried underground.
You must not have many rocks in Lubbock TX. 😁 Some places you can't get wires underground without a costly trench dig.

/ how to get old telephone poles #24  
In this area they have started to use what looks like copper soaked poles instead of creosote.
Not sure what they do with the old ones, they are replacing quite a few around here.
I know across the river in NJ they are hazmat material, so they just pile them by the RR, where they "suddenly" catch fire every year or two.....

/ how to get old telephone poles #25  
You must not have many rocks in Lubbock TX. Some places you can't get wires underground without a costly trench dig.
All of our phone and fiber cables are buried in my county. On my property fiber, phone and electric are buried. Not many rocks in this farmland.

/ how to get old telephone poles #26  
You must not have many rocks in Lubbock TX. 😁 Some places you can't get wires underground without a costly trench dig.
back to where to get telephone poles.….have any of you ever looked in Amish or Mennonite lumber yards? Also, Craigs List may have some, too.

/ how to get old telephone poles #27  
We used to be able to purchase them, but nowadays they are cut into pieces as there removed. The installers place new post right next to original, transfer wires, than start sawing old post.

/ how to get old telephone poles #28  
I live in upstate NY 30 minutes west of albany can anyone tell me who I can buy old telephone poles from?
Contact your local utility company. They frequently have piles of damaged posts ( hit by vehicle, damaged by weather/high wind) and want to dispose of them at little to no cost. You will have to deal with random lengths.

Best time to ask is just after nasty weather that caused many people to lose power.

/ how to get old telephone poles #29  
Last year a pole only 100' from my property was damaged by a corn combine hitting the wires and snapping the pole. I went down and talked to the guys and asked if I could have the old pole. They told me that NY required that they dispose of the poles because they could contain creosote and in NY anything with creosote cannot be reused for another purpose.

Because this came up I took the time to look it up Creosote

/ how to get old telephone poles #30  
Last year a pole only 100' from my property was damaged by a corn combine hitting the wires and snapping the pole. I went down and talked to the guys and asked if I could have the old pole. They told me that NY required that they dispose of the poles because they could contain creosote and in NY anything with creosote cannot be reused for another purpose.

Because this came up I took the time to look it up Creosote

Typical. “Sorry, but these poles that line every road and street in every town for miles on end are super dangerous and harmful once we take them down. Until then, they’re perfectly safe.”