how to get old telephone poles

/ how to get old telephone poles #31  
Typical. “Sorry, but these poles that line every road and street in every town for miles on end are super dangerous and harmful once we take them down. Until then, they’re perfectly safe.”
Yep, exactly.

My step father worked for the NY DEC. This was many years ago but even then it was illegal for the average person in NY to soak fence posts in creosote or oil. But the people that actually worked for the DEC was allowed to do it. Every post he put in was soaked in one or the other.

/ how to get old telephone poles #32  
I called a handful of places and the most common answer was "we don't do that anymore". Either they sold the ones they had, or aren't able to sell. I did find some very nice ones for sale on Facebook, but they are in Cape Cod and the delivery is more than the poles!!! I have a few local folks I got tips on I am calling today. I think the older creosote ones are being held back due to hazmat worries, but hopefully can get a few of the newer "green" ones.

/ how to get old telephone poles #33  
Pretty simple reason they won’t sell them.
The municipalities and power companies don’t want a lawsuit because there’s some “genius” out there who will sue them saying he got cancer from creosote.

/ how to get old telephone poles #34  
When i installed my lighted arena, i purchased new green poles from the local post and pole company. There treated, but not with creosote.

/ how to get old telephone poles #35  
Here they will gladly leave used poles for you if you ask nicely.

/ how to get old telephone poles #36  
When i installed my lighted arena, i purchased new green poles from the local post and pole company. There treated, but not with creosote.
Yes, this is the one business that can help me, but the "local" one I found was 3 hours away and a 1500 delivery fee. Ouch.

/ how to get old telephone poles #37  
Yes, this is the one business that can help me, but the "local" one I found was 3 hours away and a 1500 delivery fee. Ouch.
3 hours aint bad. Got a long trailer? Borrow one?
$1500 is highway robbery. $3/loaded mile should be price

/ how to get old telephone poles #38  
3 hours aint bad. Got a long trailer? Borrow one?
$1500 is highway robbery. $3/loaded mile should be price
I'm trying to work that angle too, and if I cant borrow one, I think I might have a guy who would do it a bit cheaper if worst came to worst. Would love to find some within an hour or so though.

/ how to get old telephone poles #39  
I'm trying to work that angle too, and if I cant borrow one, I think I might have a guy who would do it a bit cheaper if worst came to worst. Would love to find some within an hour or so though.
You could try U-ship. I bet theres a few guys out there who haul equipment who arent busy that would do it cheap. If you were in PA I would do that for you. I haul stuff on the side for people.

/ how to get old telephone poles #40  

Bridge4, just curious, what do you want to do with the poles?