how deep can you dig t5c ? 8' maybe ?

/ how deep can you dig t5c ? 8' maybe ? #1  

patp744

Bronze Member
Tractor
terramite t5c
i have to dig a drywell 8 foot by 8 foot by 8 foot deep . clay

do you guys think this little machine can pull it off ?

/ how deep can you dig t5c ? 8' maybe ? #2  
The machine will dig to 8'6 You would have to dig from all sides to get a 8x8x8 hole. That being said you will have to be dangerously close to the hole to get the depth that you want. I know clay is pretty stable, but a cave in could very easily happen with a hole that size. I don't think I would try it with a terramite. You need a bigger machine that will have far more reach to safely dig that big of a hole in my opinion.

/ how deep can you dig t5c ? 8' maybe ? #3  
One thing that I found a T5C does rather poorly is dig a square hole of any size, mostly because or the very limited swing of the boom. (claimed 110^ seems like barely more than 90^ when digging) Trenches all day but you can't dump the bucket very far to the side without angling-in, and then there's no place to put down the 'inside' pad. I suspect that this is a deliberate limitation is for stability, as T5C has a lot of reach and digging power but is somewhat narrow & light, considering.

Any good sized dig will have you moving dirt with something else to keep it from falling back in. (lacking the 'swing' to dump when working from a 90^ corner.) IMO the challenge is the size/shape of the hole you want to dig. That said, I'd love to see anyone do what I haven't yet. Let us know if you can do it with the TM. For this job I'd look at renting a mini-ex. :2cents: tog

(Steve types way faster than me :eek: but we agree ...)

/ how deep can you dig t5c ? 8' maybe ? #4  
I agree with old grind. Terramites are great for trenching but not very good for digging large holes. Not enough boom angle to get the dirt out of the way. The last large hole I dug took a while because I had to keep moving the dirt away from the hole with the front loader, but it still beats the heck out of a shovel LOL

/ how deep can you dig t5c ? 8' maybe ?
My old down spout pipes collapsed. .i started digging by hand one day and couldn't stand up straight for over a week. I got some disk problems apparently. ...
The next week Ii bought my t5c off Craigslist. .i figure if it dose this project, a retaining wall i need to replace , a planter across the front . And a side walk..it would more than pay for its self. .I don't have to stick with 8x8..since this thing is good for trenching ..maybe 6x12...thinking 4x12 to start and then come in from one side to make it bigger..
The dirt has to be removed anyway..so time in moving it is no big deal.. other than driving the people next door crazy with the loud *** transmission this thing has...