Hood

/ Hood #1  

MarlinSlayer

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford Jubilee!
Ok,

I need to remove the hood to get the gas tank out....it looks strait forward except there are some missing bolts and some "extra" holding it together. Is there a good place with a blow up diagram to see alll the parts and where they're supposed to connect. I assumed the doglegs and hood were separate, but it seems like they are either spot welded or braised....is that correct? how hard is it to separate hood unit and leave instrument cluster on (around) steering geer?

/ Hood #2  
lots of little bolts with ( usually ) (originally ) captive nuts.

use lots of spray penetrant. and hit them a day or 2 in advance. EXPECT to spin a couple captive nuts out of their holders, meaning you will need to get a tool behind them to hold them. I use a stubby 4" handle socket wrench ( 3/8 drive ) that has a pivot at the head, so i can get the tool at odd angles. If one spins, you may have an issue getting a tool on the square nut with the old shroud in the way. do your best with vise grips to get a squeeze hold on the back.

here are some tips:

if the nose piece is a booger, get the bottom of the doglegs off. and the grill out.

take battery out, and then go under to help get at the rear hood torpedo bolts. if you can get the dogleg lower sand hood torpedos seperated from the dash and the cowling, you CAN get the hood off in a funny U shaped piece that really takes 2 people.. be carefull, as all the flexing will be at front ont he nose holder. If you can even get the nose piece a hair loose if not all the way disconnected, it helps.

be prepaired to grind out the heads of a few bolts later.

Before it all goes back on. either get new bolts, or run the old ones thru a die, any with damaged heads, DO replace. the captive nuts, lube and then run a tap thru them. use neverseize on the new bolts. you will THANK yourself later.

the tank will still be ful to take off with those brackets.. especially front.

dash and cowling can stay on the steering column.

/ Hood #3