home shop lathe

/ home shop lathe #51  
Mine aren't quite that old, but in my woodshop, I do have two Unisaws and a Huss, along with a Rockwell jointer, Rockwell lathe, Rockwell planer and older Delta shaper ect...

They all have served me for many years of custom furniture and cabinet making.

SR
The ones in my little shop go from vintage to newer. Oldest is the bandsaw 1931 to the Festool chop saw 2020. The Rockwell shaper is 90s. I had to limit some items since it’s only 2000 square feet. Still there is over 100hp in three phase motors somewhere around in there.

/ home shop lathe #52  
I got a PM knee mill, and I'll attest they're pretty good machines for the price. Taiwan built. And yes, Matt was pretty good to deal with...I had an issue with the mill and he made it right w/o any hassles.
1340gt ultra precision from PM here. Minor wear on the cabinet stand from shipping. They made things right. Happy with the lathe, bu5 don't use it enough. Looking for an old Bridgeport, or thinking aboutva PM mill. Old machines are often heavier, but often worn out. I have enough projects & don't need to rebuild a mill. Getting ways re-ground & scraped is doable, but massive work requiring a fair bit of skill. They are the primary part of the machine that makes precision & primary part to wear.

/ home shop lathe #53  
I am very happy with my Lagun mill. Variable speed and very solid.

/ home shop lathe #54  
1340gt ultra precision from PM here. Minor wear on the cabinet stand from shipping. They made things right. Happy with the lathe, bu5 don't use it enough. Looking for an old Bridgeport, or thinking aboutva PM mill. Old machines are often heavier, but often worn out. I have enough projects & don't need to rebuild a mill. Getting ways re-ground & scraped is doable, but massive work requiring a fair bit of skill. They are the primary part of the machine that makes precision & primary part to wear.
Yeh agree, old machines are awesome, but most of that stuff is fairly clapped out and needs rebuilding, or already is and therefore commands appropriate pricing ($$). But the o/p says his budget is <$1K, so for new that's like a Grizzly benchtop (which I believe he was looking for a benchtop anyways).

/ home shop lathe #55  
Hey guys,

Try www.govdeals.com. Especially if your state has community colleges and schoold with 'industrial education' programs.

Search Results for 'lathe'; in Pennsylvania
| Return to Classic Search
No items currently listed for sale.
But there are Lathes Listed here:

/ home shop lathe #57  
The ones in my little shop go from vintage to newer. Oldest is the bandsaw 1931 to the Festool chop saw 2020. The Rockwell shaper is 90s. I had to limit some items since it’s only 2000 square feet. Still there is over 100hp in three phase motors somewhere around in there.

Hmmm... with that many high HP motors in a small shop have you ever thought about mapping the magnetic field density in there? EMF meters that will measure in volts/meter or uT (electric and magnetic field density) are inexpensive - decent ones are less than $50 on Amazon..

Not much is known about magnetic field strength and what effect it has on people - if anything. Maybe it means nothing. Some industries have shielding on welding & motors, others ignore it.

rScotty

/ home shop lathe
Vintage wood working machines like this?
Yes! Nice shop! My shop once looked very much like that, minus the consistent color scheme, I was repainting each in their original colors. I was also really getting into more into pre-war stuff toward the end of my years in that pursuit.

Anyway, most of the real big stuff has been sold off, to make space for other hobbies. I still have a bunch of OWWM, but most of it is now small enough to move around and make room for boats and tractors, and there's only one pre-war piece left in the shop.

/ home shop lathe #59  
Location has a lot to do with old machine avalibility & pricing. East coast & the rust belt were old manufacturing & industrial centers. Lots of old machines from back in the day. Much smaller industrial legacy here in Denver or in the west. So much smaler supply of machines & higher resulting prices.