home shop lathe

/ home shop lathe #31  
Looks like you could still do UN threading on that SR, eg. DB4 for 1/4-20. Not sure I follow the W X Y for what appears to be metric pitches, but no matter. Very cool!
I really should learn how to run it better; I just don't seem to take the time to do so. I have about $600.00 into it...

I also got my Solberga drill press from him too,

P1020671-S.jpg

P1020669.JPG

Another trade for milling lumber... I use it when I need to do some serious drilling!

SR

/ home shop lathe #33  
i have a SB 13 & a Jet mill
there are good machines to be had just have to look , and dont be afraid to travel for a good machine , the machine are a investment to yourself .
Jake
eiY9ZNE.jpg

/ home shop lathe #34  
I bought a Precision Mathews lathe two-three yrs ago. 14x40, 2" bore, DRO's, variable speed.
The cost has gone up. You can find good, low cost lathes around. Just a waiting period to find one.
I'm very happy with mine, and Matt is really easy guy to work with.
I always hated the small bore machines. At my old job we bought a Precision Mathews 16x50, 3"bore, DRO's
not variable but now we can cut metric threads. Before I would bring home any threading work needing done.
When the office people found out, they started looking to buy the company one.
I got a PM knee mill, and I'll attest they're pretty good machines for the price. Taiwan built. And yes, Matt was pretty good to deal with...I had an issue with the mill and he made it right w/o any hassles.

/ home shop lathe #35  
I really should learn how to run it better; I just don't seem to take the time to do so. I have about $600.00 into it...

I also got my Solberga drill press from him too,

P1020671-S.jpg

View attachment 777579

Another trade for milling lumber... I use it when I need to do some serious drilling!

SR
Check out the hobby machinist forum.

/ home shop lathe #36  
Id rather buy vintage stuff if its still tight. If it isnt.....look into rebuild kits if available. '''

I have a monarch model k. 16x54. Weighs about 4200#. I consider it about the perfect size for doing odd tractor pins and bushings and what not.
View attachment 777357
Way back in senior year, we got to tour Monarch in Sidney, Ohio. The floor was interesting, 4x4's on end. You could see where a casting was dropped, and new 4x4's were put in. Good machines, to bad they shut the doors.

/ home shop lathe #37  
Personally, I love old steel when it's well maintained or restored. I've seen some really nice Bridgeport mills for instance, with their ways grounded/scraped, quills replated, new screws, just everything tight and nice and smooth. But mostly, I've seen old clapped out machines, needing lots of work. The o/p sounds like he's not looking for a project, he wants to get started turning.

So WinterDeere, what's your budget for this, anyways?

/ home shop lathe
Way back in senior year, we got to tour Monarch in Sidney, Ohio. The floor was interesting, 4x4's on end. You could see where a casting was dropped, and new 4x4's were put in. Good machines, to bad they shut the doors.
"End grain parquetry". It was an ideal floor for foundries, as well as all other sorts of industrial applications. Last place I saw it was the floor of the train cars used for the incline plane in Johnstown, PA. Very tough, and very stable WRT changes in weather, versus other types of wood flooring.

So WinterDeere, what's your budget for this, anyways?
Was really just thinking of some < $1k benchtop thing for now. Like I said, I've been selling off larger machines to make more garage space, and still have access to machine shops, so this is really just for minimizing trips to a machine shop for small jobs.

Here's an example: You may have seen my thread on "the thumb". That job will probably require me to center-drill some pins or bolts for grease journals. The pins would probably be 3/4", and my drill press chucks are all 1/2". So, to do this on a drill press, I'd have to buy a larger chuck to either replace the one I have, or more likely hold it in the one I have, and then set up a second chuck on the table to hold the drill bit, so I can grab the pin in the chuck on the quill and drill it to depth for the grease journal. A small benchtop lathe would turn this job, and others similar to it, from a science experiment into a pretty quick job.

/ home shop lathe #39  
WinterDeere I see you're in PA. I get Lancaster Farming (weekly paper) and there's always a machine shop auction in there. I think that I've seen them for sale in PA tractor supply's.

/ home shop lathe #40  
Manicubid Has them at auction in PA and OH all the time. I have a full ( cnc and manual shop at home ) I use to work for a cnc company doing repairs and installations ( my territory was from NY to VA and Tennessee from time to time). I still find them for sale from time to time.