home shop lathe

/ home shop lathe
WinterDeere I see you're in PA. I get Lancaster Farming (weekly paper) and there's always a machine shop auction in there. I think that I've seen them for sale in PA tractor supply's.
Hah... hadn't thought of that! I was at TSC yesterday, but might be able to get back over there tomorrow. Gotta pick up 4 gallons of ATF for a log splitter hydro oil change, and Walmart stock levels have been pretty bad lately.

/ home shop lathe #42  
I have gotten the best deals following equipment auctions as places close down. The last 15” x 50” Clausing was $3500 after the fees and paying the forklift guy when I picked it up. Sold by an individual they would be twice that.

/ home shop lathe #43  
So, not looking to jump back into a big lathe, I'm definitely in the "bench top" class here, Enco, Jet, Eastwood, the Griz.

No one has mentioned Vevor, but they're all over the interweb with < $1k benchtop stuff. Too new to have many opinions out there?
All of my lathes have been vintage machines, but for what you're describing I would skip the Vevor stuff (it's like Amazon for machinery stuff so you never really know what you're getting).

Of all the imported machines I think Precision Matthews is head and shoulders above the others. They all spec slightly different levels of quality and it appears PM is the most stringent in that regard. The other thing is if you buy something the other brands they just show up and if there's an issue you have to sort it out yourself. PM seems to go through the machines before shipping them and generally those things don't seem to wind up being discovered after delivery.

I have a nice 13x36 Sheldon and a nice 14x48 Clausing right now, but I've already told my wife that my retirement present is a PM 1660TL with all the trimmings. It won't be cheap, but I simply want a machine I can use essentially for the rest of my life and not have to worry about where I can find parts if something breaks. The plan is to sell the Clausing and keep the Sheldon (it's pretty compact and a handy backup).

/ home shop lathe #44  
I've had my Grizzly 4015Z for over 20 years now and have only had a minor issue or two and use it allot.

/ home shop lathe #45  
My brother has built an entire automotive machine shop out of used equipment, most of it from E-bay and FB Marketplace type shopping. If you know what you're looking for, know the foibles to watch out for, you should be OK.

/ home shop lathe #46  
After wanting a lathe for years I finally decided to get serious about it and with a budget close to the OP's I initially started looking at the Harbor Freight end of things. It was a good thing they didn't have any available as the quality has actually gone down in the last few years. Searching high and low, asking friends and others to help me look. Craig's list, Ebay, local papers and a local online classified became my every day routine. Machining has never been a "thing" in the upper plains states like it is from Ohio east. LOTS of stuff available at decent prices in that part of the world but simply too far for me to travel and make it pay.

I had passed on an odd-ball SB 11 in TX that was a barn find and would need a rebuild. Even though it had lots of potential and was at a fair price the travel put it out of my range. Then was actually bidding on a SB 10K on Ebay and there was about a day left on the auction but the price was close to my max considering the travel when I got an email alert from the local online classifieds. A nice looking SB 10K popped up and it was only 100 miles away but the asking price was a little more than my initial budget. I called the guy right away and got more info and pictures. I was at his house the next day and closed the deal.

It costs about $500 more than I wanted but was a really good deal. Had a brand new motor, bench, QCTP and some other misc tools and cutters. The seller had bought it off of Ebay and had made the bench and put the new motor on it but hadn't used it. He didn't know how and decided it was a hobby he didn't want. It needed a little TLC, mostly cleaning. Boy did I luck out!

Since you already have shops nearby and you know your machines I think if you are patient it will pay off with a find that you can afford and close enough to go see it in person. Inspection before purchase has value as well.

/ home shop lathe #47  
I like the 2nd WW stuff, built to last. Lodge and Shipley, Pratt and Whiney and many others. But I opted to go a little newer so I could do metric threading. I have an Okuma LS 20x60. Slightly bigger in actuality due to being metric. Strong and smooth like the old stuff with newer capabilities.

Attachments

• 85DB8B89-A42B-43CC-8C93-DC27765E5BC0.jpeg
    85DB8B89-A42B-43CC-8C93-DC27765E5BC0.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 100
  • BE735E3D-7D1D-477F-83B5-DBACC08BC3AF.jpeg
    BE735E3D-7D1D-477F-83B5-DBACC08BC3AF.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 80
  • 91740AE1-0C35-4FC0-B1EE-32C453D0273A.jpeg
    91740AE1-0C35-4FC0-B1EE-32C453D0273A.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 78
  • DAB0A6E2-8A88-4BEC-9BE0-7C8EFE747254.jpeg
    DAB0A6E2-8A88-4BEC-9BE0-7C8EFE747254.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 83
  • 804A87CE-89EA-4815-BC46-990A62C202E1.jpeg
    804A87CE-89EA-4815-BC46-990A62C202E1.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 91
   / home shop lathe #48  
Hey guys,

I lost access to the lathe I've been using for small projects over the last 15 years, and I've got enough small jobs on the horizon that I'd better get moving with a quick replacement.

I love the vintage old USA equipment, in fact I have a shop full of vintage woodworking machines, but I don't really have time for a restoration or repair right now. So as much as it pains me, I'm probably looking at import junk.

Any suggestions on where to start? Brands? Retailers? Looking to turn and bore everything from loader pins to aluminum cylinders of a few inches diameter (work stuff). Also looking for something that could make a poor-man's horizontal mill in a pinch, you know the old trick of putting an end mill in the chuck and your work on the tool holder.

I still use a commercial shop for most of my work, so this is really more for one-offs, prototypes, and repairs. Don't need much length, or even a ton of throw, but wanting see what's available before putting numbers to it.

Thanks!
I have a Shopsmith V (actually 2) One is the regular lathe with the new add-on head w/up to 10,000 rpm and the other one is the OLD head on a separate home-made stand where I put the 4" belt sander and the Bandsaw on it. This way I don't have to remove these when I need them - they're always ready for work (I am retired and work when I want to at my leisure).

Anyway, have fun finding what works for you.

Attachments

• IMG_7426.JPG
    IMG_7426.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 64
  • IMG_7427.JPG
    IMG_7427.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 58
   / home shop lathe #49  
Hey guys,

I lost access to the lathe I've been using for small projects over the last 15 years, and I've got enough small jobs on the horizon that I'd better get moving with a quick replacement.

I love the vintage old USA equipment, in fact I have a shop full of vintage woodworking machines, but I don't really have time for a restoration or repair right now. So as much as it pains me, I'm probably looking at import junk.

Any suggestions on where to start? Brands? Retailers? Looking to turn and bore everything from loader pins to aluminum cylinders of a few inches diameter (work stuff). Also looking for something that could make a poor-man's horizontal mill in a pinch, you know the old trick of putting an end mill in the chuck and your work on the tool holder.

I still use a commercial shop for most of my work, so this is really more for one-offs, prototypes, and repairs. Don't need much length, or even a ton of throw, but wanting see what's available before putting numbers to it.

Thanks!
Vintage wood working machines like this?

Attachments

• D8CD73C9-DAE2-4369-94A8-FEC562CF6F2C.jpeg
    D8CD73C9-DAE2-4369-94A8-FEC562CF6F2C.jpeg
    687.6 KB · Views: 81
  • 907C87ED-96C2-4A9C-A933-30E2AAB669DF.jpeg
    907C87ED-96C2-4A9C-A933-30E2AAB669DF.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 86
  • 34ADED74-32B0-4D82-B38E-E934F733093B.jpeg
    34ADED74-32B0-4D82-B38E-E934F733093B.jpeg
    776.5 KB · Views: 77
  • 3F31E898-B93C-45A3-9074-BF900A32CF3B.jpeg
    3F31E898-B93C-45A3-9074-BF900A32CF3B.jpeg
    757.5 KB · Views: 79
   / home shop lathe #50  
Vintage wood working machines like this?
Mine aren't quite that old, but in my woodshop, I do have two Unisaws and a Huss, along with a Rockwell jointer, Rockwell lathe, Rockwell planer and older Delta shaper ect...

They all have served me for many years of custom furniture and cabinet making.

SR