home shop lathe

/ home shop lathe #65  
Sin Bin then?

/ home shop lathe #66  
Hey guys,

I lost access to the lathe I've been using for small projects over the last 15 years, and I've got enough small jobs on the horizon that I'd better get moving with a quick replacement.

I love the vintage old USA equipment, in fact I have a shop full of vintage woodworking machines, but I don't really have time for a restoration or repair right now. So as much as it pains me, I'm probably looking at import junk.

Any suggestions on where to start? Brands? Retailers? Looking to turn and bore everything from loader pins to aluminum cylinders of a few inches diameter (work stuff). Also looking for something that could make a poor-man's horizontal mill in a pinch, you know the old trick of putting an end mill in the chuck and your work on the tool holder.

I still use a commercial shop for most of my work, so this is really more for one-offs, prototypes, and repairs. Don't need much length, or even a ton of throw, but wanting see what's available before putting numbers to it.

Thanks!
Well, ask 15 people for brand recommendations and you'll get 15 different answers. But the Jet lathe I bought in the '80s still works great and continues to hold +/-. 002 tolerances easily.

/ home shop lathe #67  
Well, ask 15 people for brand recommendations and you'll get 15 different answers. But the Jet lathe I bought in the '80s still works great and continues to hold +/-. 002 tolerances easily.
Only 15? I can come up with 2-4 separate opinions by myself.

The heavier the better if you can move it. Old iron is great value, but you may not have the skills or knowledge to determine its condition or wear levels if you are starting out.

/ home shop lathe #68  
A 1973 South Bend 13x30 lathe showed up in my shop a few years ago. The guy selling it bought it at the VoTech where he was teaching (he probably got it for $200 in a silent auction). He claimed that it had been rebuilt about two years earlier, and I have no reason to dispute that. It went into the shop with a 3 Phase VFD controller and needed nothing other than filling the oil cups. The bed ways don't have a single nick and it's tight. I just need a decent 3 jaw chuck. I'll get +/- about 20 thou when I put something in the chuck. So any accurate work has to stay chucked until it's cut off.

/ home shop lathe #69  
They don’t all run at the same time. I don’t know the criteria is for HP versus square footage. That room in my shop is 40x50 and 12’ high.

/ home shop lathe #70  
Location has a lot to do with old machine avalibility & pricing. East coast & the rust belt were old manufacturing & industrial centers. Lots of old machines from back in the day. Much smaller industrial legacy here in Denver or in the west. So much smaler supply of machines & higher resulting prices.
I travel to where the machine is and haul it back.