Help w compressor selection.

/ Help w compressor selection. #22  
Were you lucky and got one with the Baldor before they switched?
You mean this one?

Quincy Compressor Motor.jpg

Yes. Didn't know it was a "thing" not to have it.

/ Help w compressor selection. #23  
One thing to look at is two stage vs single stage. The two stage will have higher pressure thence more capacity.
That said I have an inexpensive 60 gallon Ingersol Rand. 5 hp maybe,not sure? There have been times I’ve run it hard but not much lately. It’s probably 20 years old.

/ Help w compressor selection. #24  
You mean this one?

View attachment 828160

Yes. Didn't know it was a "thing" not to have it.

Well Good news to report on the Quincy QT 54 at the local store

There must have been a shortage because the newest ones are back to Baldor, they have both in stock now some with no name made in China motors and also the same Baldor motors like yours. Both marked at the same $1999
I guess it is like Reagan used to say trust but Verify.

And to add another wrinkle, an answer to a person that complained about the motor over on Air Compressors direct recently...

"First and foremost thank you for your purchase of the 2V41C60VC - Quincy QT-54 5-HP 60-Gallon Two-Stage Air Compressor (230V 1-Phase). We apologize for the miscommunication you had with us regarding the air compressor.
The QT-54 will be the only model in the Quincy Two Stage line up that is not made in America"

Attachments

• PXL_20231022_220437624.jpg
    PXL_20231022_220437624.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 36
Last edited:
   / Help w compressor selection. #25  
It is best to use the lowest pressure possible for two major reasons. The higher pressure requires more energy for the same cubic feet at a lower pressure. So if you are using air at 90 PSI max you could fill a certain sized tank with 120 PSI air or a smaller tank with 175 PSI air. The smaller tank and the larger tank being sized so that both deliver the same cubic feet of air at 90 PSI. Pumping up the smaller tank with higher pressure air will use more energy than pumping the larger tank. Also, when the higher pressure air drops to the 90 PSI working pressure it will release more water from the air. So if you have humid conditions a lot more water will be in you air lines.
Eric

/ Help w compressor selection. #27  
7.4 cfm @100 psi beats 5.3 @90 any day. It won't matter for the impact wrenches but might for the die grinder. The tank size is just the buffer before the pump starts.
But even better
At any rate, Northern products has a 30 gal and it is rated at 5.3 recovery at 90 and 6.2 @40psi.
The Quincy at 24 gal, is rated at 7.4 @ 100 and 8.3 cfm at 40.
8.3 at 40 beats the pants off 6.2 at 40. That's comparing apples to apples.

/ Help w compressor selection. #28  
Since nobody has mentioned them I will throw out the made-in-usa Rol-Air compressors. They are the best.

/ Help w compressor selection.
Since nobody has mentioned them I will throw out the made-in-usa Rol-Air compressors. They are the best.

Thanks 2 bit.
They don't list pricing on their website for the various models they make.

/ Help w compressor selection. #30  
Buy a junk tank and a Harbor Freight 5 hp 2-stage compressor head. Put a whatever 5 hp motor on it and yo are good to go. Used 5 hp motors are cheap. I paid $25 for the one I used, and $15 for sealed bearings to replace the old oil cup bearings. I was able to use the PRV and switches from the junk compressor.

The problem with big compressors is that they live in thn shop and nowhere else. I bought a little pancake compressor for portable air.

After reading your post and my comment on my somewhat tired over 35 year old IR pump I went down to the local HF store and sure enough their display model was never sold a 15.2 CFM @90 psi single stage pump and it was still in the clearance section so for under 80 bucks I just went ahead and bought it.

I do have a small 110 lb HF sand blaster with tank that eats CFM (25 CFM @ 125PSI) but with the new 2 stage and a revamped IR compressor running should have 33 cfm @ 90 PSI. Will be the first time i won't run out of air so quick while blasting.
As to longevity Time will tell.

I may implement the decreased pressure suggestion as well and am considering reducing the motor s pully with the new pump for the IR will give up some CFM with the under gear but should increase longevity of the china pump.

Attachments

• PXL_20231022_225822204.jpg
    PXL_20231022_225822204.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 27
  • PXL_20231022_230014737.MP.jpg
    PXL_20231022_230014737.MP.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 24
  • PXL_20231022_225837055.MP.jpg
    PXL_20231022_225837055.MP.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 22
Last edited: