Have you ever sold a tractor due to no dealer support?

/ Have you ever sold a tractor due to no dealer support?
I learned that you can get any Deere part from any Deere Dealer. I get my parts (Ag tractor & lawn mowers) from a large Deere Construction dealer that's close to me. The Ag dealer or L&G dealer are much further away.

Thank you for that reminder! And this saved us one time. We call our two dealers "John Deere Green" and "John Deere Yellow" (the construction dealer). Once the green dealership didn't have the battery we needed. We called John Deere Yellow and they said, "Come on down. We have four or five of them in stock".

I think I was just being a scaredy cat. It goes back to our younger days when we couldn't afford (money wise or time wise) to be broken down.

/ Have you ever sold a tractor due to no dealer support? #12  
I agree. I'm not blaming anybody. Just wanting to be practical and not be stuck later on.

The good news is I can sell my tractor and get back almost everything I paid for it.
Yet what you are considering doing (selling the tractor you know and very much like), and buying an SOB (some other brand) tractor, which you may not be so lucky with it's reliability, is not practical.

To me, you're throwing money away on the off-chance that later, you will have a big problem with your tractor AND not be able to get it repaired. That is an unlikely scenario, IMO.

I say keep the one you have, and enjoy it.

/ Have you ever sold a tractor due to no dealer support? #13  
When I worked for the Kubota-New Holland dealer, we worked on green, red, yellow, plus our own brands. It all paid the same. I did have to haul a
JD 110 to the yellow JD dealer 90 miles away to have the transmission controller adjusted as it was something I wasn't comfortable doing. Didn't charge the customer for hauling because I needed to pick up some equipment at one of our other stores about 3 miles away. Sometimes you just have to do what is needed.

/ Have you ever sold a tractor due to no dealer support? #14  
There are good dealers and bad dealers, regardless of the make or product. This includes everything from mattresses, appliances, tractors, and cars.
One of the Deere ag dealers I deal with cleaned house last year in the shop. Fired everyone out there from the service manager on down to the guy that swept the floor.

I just recently started dealing with them since they were down the street from one of my jobsites, had an emergency and needed a tech to perform a service regen on a piece of equipment that was mission critical to keeping a paper mill up and running.

The tech told me that when he started 9 months ago, there were machines torn apart all over the place. Parts were scattered everywhere and customers screaming to get their equipment back.

Tech said it was like having several puzzles all mixed together and then having to try and figure out what went with what.

9 months later they finally got all the mess put back together and back to their customers.

/ Have you ever sold a tractor due to no dealer support? #15  
Sounds lije you’re getting by just fine. Like a lot of people, if it’s a car, truck or tractor, you often find out you know more about it than the dealer parts guy.

/ Have you ever sold a tractor due to no dealer support? #16  
John Deere most of my life, until kubota beat JD`s price by quite a few thousand dollars with our last tractor purchase. And for us, the kubota dealer is alot closer to us, and we really like the kubota dealership. Family owned, into its second generation family has taken it over. It just made sense for us to put orange in the garage this time. Both of the deere dealers treated us like we were bothering them every time we went there for parts. They never had what we needed in stock at either deere dealership. Since owning the kubota, every time we needed something, they had it in stock. Knock on wood, our kubota has been trouble free since new in 2017. Sometimes when you jump ship, it may end up better in the long run. It surely is a nice breath of fresh air walking into the kubota dealer, and they call us by our first names. Not once, did that ever happen at any deere dealership we`ve experienced.

As for the OP. You do what YOU think is right, for you. For my wife an i, we`re very happy with the kubota brand. Hopefully prices will settle down soon, because we want to add another orange tractor to our home. As it stands right now, we have ZERO reason, or want, to ever by another john deere product.

/ Have you ever sold a tractor due to no dealer support? #17  
You already own the John Deere which is a quality brand with an extensive parts network. I don't think I'd sell it just because I didn't like my local dealer if there are any other John Deere dealers within a reasonable distance or if I could get parts within a week or two.

If it was an off brand dealer with thin parts supply, a bad local dealer and no other dealers within a reasonable distance, then I could see selling or trading for something with better support.

/ Have you ever sold a tractor due to no dealer support? #18  
Sounds lije you’re getting by just fine. Like a lot of people, if it’s a car, truck or tractor, you often find out you know more about it than the dealer parts guy.
Isn't that the truth. They hire a warm body with no practical experience. Just answer the phone, ask for the model number, type in the part name, and tell them the price and inventory status. He/she doesn't know what a u-joint is, much less the components of a drive shaft.

/ Have you ever sold a tractor due to no dealer support? #19  
Just because it is a John Deere does not mean it must use John Deere parts. The parts you have talked about so far are universally replaceable. U-joints that will fit can be found many places, hydraulic hoses made up while you wait in many places also. I get many wear items from NAPA since they are closer, 15 miles vs 50 miles for the dealer, and have never had an issue. I would stay with the machine you say you are happy with and don't worry about what may never happen.

/ Have you ever sold a tractor due to no dealer support? #20  
Locally, a good place to get a hose quick isn't even a orange, blue, green, or red tractor dealer, it is the fork truck shop.