Have you ever sold a tractor due to no dealer support?

/ Have you ever sold a tractor due to no dealer support? #41  
   / Have you ever sold a tractor due to no dealer support? #42  
Anymore I just purchase the best tractor for my needs and within my budget and have given up on getting same day parts and service and I try to keep extra parts on hand. I constantly have to go to multiple dealers/part stores or on-line to get parts even the local dealership tells me to order filters on-line since they don't carry much stock. Otherwise, it's about a 100-mile trip in any direction to get to the big dealerships and their repair shops, although they are very good at getting parts shipped to me overnight.

/ Have you ever sold a tractor due to no dealer support?
Thank you all for your good posts and advice.

You have done a lot to point me in the right direction. I was just being a scaredy cat, thinking about what would happen if something broke that I couldn't fix, and then worried the dealer couldn't fix it either.

This tidbit about Deere dealers bears repeating. Any Deere dealer can get ANY Deere part. There're three divisions... Lawn & garden, Ag and Construction. While many Deere parts are common across many machines ... (filters, bolts, fittings,etc.) just don't expect the large construction dealer to stock lawn mower blades. But, I've gotten blades there, in a few days. No shipping charge too !

Many of you mentioned this, and I didn't know about it until you all posted. Thank you for that.

Bottom line, we love this little tractor (3032e) and there seems to be enough parts availability that we are going to keep it.

Thank you all again for chiming in.

/ Have you ever sold a tractor due to no dealer support? #44  
My largest issue with John Deere is what they have done with denying owners the right to service their own equipment. My second largest issue is what the green paint costs. I bought a new McCormick 115 hp cab tractor with what I considered superior features for $11,000 less than a comparably equipped 100hp JD. When I asked the JD dealer why I should give him $11k more than for the McCormick the only answer he had was that it would be worth more when I traded or sold it. Needless to say, that wasn't enough of an answer and I enjoyed that McCormick for many years. I retired a couple of years ago still smiling with that $11k in my bank account.

As for your question, consider what it's going to cost you to trade. Unless you sell it yourself to someone who is willing to pay more than it's worth, you are going to lose money on it. How many trips to that distant service depot and how much can you spend on parts with what you are going to lose? I don't know your complete situation, but I'm guessing it's probably best to just keep it and use the lesson you just learned with the service/parts department. Then, when you do decide to trade, remember this lesson and buy elsewhere.

/ Have you ever sold a tractor due to no dealer support? #45  
I was a die hard John Deere man… for my farming operation. I switched to Kubota 5 years ago, and don’t regret it. I still run a few pieces of jd equipment but as far as their tractors I’m through with them. They like their paint and love their name! Their quality has went down hill… as far as I’m concerned. I will never own another…

/ Have you ever sold a tractor due to no dealer support? #46  
I was a die hard John Deere man… for my farming operation. I switched to Kubota 5 years ago, and don’t regret it. I still run a few pieces of jd equipment but as far as their tractors I’m through with them. They like their paint and love their name! Their quality has went down hill… as far as I’m concerned. I will never own another…

The parts prices for JD are so absurd that I will buy a Kubota for my next tractor.

/ Have you ever sold a tractor due to no dealer support? #47  
   / Have you ever sold a tractor due to no dealer support? #48  
any suggestions where I'd get them on-line? Part of my trouble was identifying the JIC connectors. The local auto parts dealer immediately identified what they were and the correct size. However, I don't like paying $120 for two small hoses.
I hosed my excavator with premade stock length hoses and fittings from www.surpluscenter.com . They ship by USPS so boxes arrived 2-3 days later, from Nebraska to Oregon. For emergency hoses I go to a commercial fishing supply and a saw shop/rental place, much less expensive than the NAPA. I haven't compared with Discount Hose in a while. I bought an assortment of plugs and caps and marked the sizes on them.

Last edited:
   / Have you ever sold a tractor due to no dealer support? #49  
I just have to point out, how do you know a different brand dealer would be any better? And I don't think the problems you have brought up would make me consider switching.

Doug in SW IA

/ Have you ever sold a tractor due to no dealer support? #50  
Have you ever sold or traded a tractor due to no dealer support? Meaning out of practicality. Not out of frustration or anything else.

Six years ago, we bought a brand new John Deere locally. Specifically went that route so that I could drive to get parts same day if something broke. And there are some repairs I'd be afraid to tackle, so wanted a local dealer for that.

Here's the timeline starting after the purchase (which we are very pleased with the purchase and we love the tractor).

1) Went to pick up extra keys for the tractor, just to have them around. Dealer handed me two keys and I thought I'd test the keys before putting them with my other spares. The keys didn't fit. No problem, the dealer swapped them out the next day.
But if I hadn't checked, I could have been in a bad spot thinking I had extra keys when I didn't.

2) The U-joint on the John Deere (Frontier) brush cutter gave out. I'd like to keep mowing so I call the dealer to see about picking up a U-joint.

"I have several in stock. $950"
"No, thank you. I just need the U-joint. Not the whole shaft."
"It doesn't come that way. We only sell the whole shaft with both ends. $950"
"I have the schematic and part number. I'll bring it in."

I brought in the part number and he found the U joint in stock. But ONLY because I brought the part number to him.

3) The kids called to report a hydraulic hose started leaking. I told them to take it off and carry it into the dealer for a new one. I forgot about this because they had it under control. A week later I find a Kubota (gasp!) box in my truck. Why is a Kubota box in my truck?

"Because the John Deere dealer said they don't stock hydraulic hoses. They told us Kubota makes hydraulic hoses and we should take it (the John Deere hose) to Kubota because they could make a hose in one hour."

They were right, by the way. Kubota made them the hose on the spot.

Sooooooo. . . .

We're not mad or upset in any way. This has been a great tractor and these are small parts that are expected to wear out over time. But I'm worried that if I really need something done that I cannot do, the dealer won't be able to do it either.

To put a finer point on it-- This tractor is running great. But we are thinking of trading it for another brand NOW, so if it breaks later we won't be stuck with a tractor that nobody can fix.

What do you all think?
In the process of acquiring a (very) used tractor. In my case, where to get parts, their cost, how fast can I get them, and are they even still available are critical issues. The answers decide just how practical a given machine is likely to be. As a result I have passed up several very attractive offers.