Have you ever sold a tractor due to no dealer support?

/ Have you ever sold a tractor due to no dealer support? #1  

Lastkidpicked

Silver Member
Tractor
International Harvester Ford 850 Ford 8n
Have you ever sold or traded a tractor due to no dealer support? Meaning out of practicality. Not out of frustration or anything else.

Six years ago, we bought a brand new John Deere locally. Specifically went that route so that I could drive to get parts same day if something broke. And there are some repairs I'd be afraid to tackle, so wanted a local dealer for that.

Here's the timeline starting after the purchase (which we are very pleased with the purchase and we love the tractor).

1) Went to pick up extra keys for the tractor, just to have them around. Dealer handed me two keys and I thought I'd test the keys before putting them with my other spares. The keys didn't fit. No problem, the dealer swapped them out the next day.
But if I hadn't checked, I could have been in a bad spot thinking I had extra keys when I didn't.

2) The U-joint on the John Deere (Frontier) brush cutter gave out. I'd like to keep mowing so I call the dealer to see about picking up a U-joint.

"I have several in stock. $950"
"No, thank you. I just need the U-joint. Not the whole shaft."
"It doesn't come that way. We only sell the whole shaft with both ends. $950"
"I have the schematic and part number. I'll bring it in."

I brought in the part number and he found the U joint in stock. But ONLY because I brought the part number to him.

3) The kids called to report a hydraulic hose started leaking. I told them to take it off and carry it into the dealer for a new one. I forgot about this because they had it under control. A week later I find a Kubota (gasp!) box in my truck. Why is a Kubota box in my truck?

"Because the John Deere dealer said they don't stock hydraulic hoses. They told us Kubota makes hydraulic hoses and we should take it (the John Deere hose) to Kubota because they could make a hose in one hour."

They were right, by the way. Kubota made them the hose on the spot.

Sooooooo. . . .

We're not mad or upset in any way. This has been a great tractor and these are small parts that are expected to wear out over time. But I'm worried that if I really need something done that I cannot do, the dealer won't be able to do it either.

To put a finer point on it-- This tractor is running great. But we are thinking of trading it for another brand NOW, so if it breaks later we won't be stuck with a tractor that nobody can fix.

What do you all think?

/ Have you ever sold a tractor due to no dealer support?
There are good dealers and bad dealers, regardless of the make or product. This includes everything from mattresses, appliances, tractors, and cars.

I agree. I'm not blaming anybody. Just wanting to be practical and not be stuck later on.

The good news is I can sell my tractor and get back almost everything I paid for it.

/ Have you ever sold a tractor due to no dealer support? #4  
I agree those can be aggravating issues but: they are small in the scheme of things. Not knowing your dealership and just wondering here: would you consider them a small, medium or large dealership? That location itself.
It sounds like a dealership that is on the smaller side or does not have that knowledgeable of parts people.

The last Kubota dealership I have bought from knew I had two Kubotas I bought elsewhere. Parts department for me was as maybe. Bought this one there, got to really know the parts person and he is totally great now. Maybe you need to make effort to learn the parts department.

Not having a hose in stock to me is not an issue. Here many shops including parts stores make hydraulic hoses while you wait. They do cost more but you leave with it. No waiting. Metal tubing hosing is different.

On the keys, glad you checked but again that should be something the buyer would do getting any key from any source. On the pto shaft, sounded like a person who either did not care or did not know. Sometimes you just have to act dumb or in my case normal and ask, you don't have the parts, to repair such and such? Well can you give me the part number so I can call other dealerships? Has worked for me.

/ Have you ever sold a tractor due to no dealer support?
I agree those can be aggravating issues but: they are small in the scheme of things. Not knowing your dealership and just wondering here: would you consider them a small, medium or large dealership? That location itself.
It sounds like a dealership that is on the smaller side or does not have that knowledgeable of parts people.

Thank you for pointing this out.

The dealership started out as a mom and pop dealership. And I mean to the point where you would see the owner's family at the local school events.

They got bought by a bigger enterprise.
Then that got bought out by an even bigger chain.

You're right that these are small issues and we still love the tractor. I'm just nervous that five years from now, if something big breaks that I can't fix myself the dealer will not be able to fix it either. Then I'll be asking myself, "Why didn't you trade this off back when it had good value left in it?"

/ Have you ever sold a tractor due to no dealer support? #7  
Interesting. I bought my 5310 in 2002 and within a year the dealership had handed out so many good deals on tractors they discounted themselves out of business. No biggie to me. I never buy a tractor because of a dealer. Especially if there is an outlet to get parts some other way. Parts for my track hoe I had to order and could have them next day. No dealer in sight.

/ Have you ever sold a tractor due to no dealer support? #8  
I learned that you can get any Deere part from any Deere Dealer. I get my parts (Ag tractor & lawn mowers) from a large Deere Construction dealer that's close to me. The Ag dealer or L&G dealer are much further away. Even better is there's no shipping charge if I can wait on their regular twice-weekly parts delivery. I've stayed with Deere just because of parts availability. I wish New Holland were similar.

By your hydraulic hose experience, your dealer is a small operation. My construction dealer is quite adept at making hydraulic hoses. They also will service my tractor. I've seen AG tractors in their service bay. You may want to explore other Deere dealers in your area.

Also, Deere parts are on Amazon, E-bay, Craig's list, and Facebook.

/ Have you ever sold a tractor due to no dealer support? #9  
Sounds like you are doing fine. Give dealer specific part numbers, go to Kubota for hoses…nothing major here. I was expecting a nightmare blown engine story with no replacement or something like that. I would just stick with your current machine and work through the kinks. That is unless you need a larger or different machine.

That said my Kubota dealer is a one stop shop. Everything I have needed they can provide. Unfortunately the closest dealer is 45 min away but my dealer is 1.5 hours. Same company but I would not give the closest dealer any business….revolving door they’re never the same people and they are clueless.

/ Have you ever sold a tractor due to no dealer support? #10  
One more point... my machines vary in age... 1985, 1989, 1996, 2004, & 2015. Eleven years is current to Deere.