Have you ever sold a tractor due to no dealer support?

/ Have you ever sold a tractor due to no dealer support? #32  
If KRONE service gets any scarcer around my area, I might sell my Krone square baler.
Probably the best baler you can buy, but Krone needs to decide if they want to give the support necessary to adequately service customers in the USA.
I can barely get service here. There’s only 2 technicians (that I know of) available in Eastern PA, NJ, Northern VA, WV, DE and N. Maryland.
What happens when one is sick, has family emergency, etc.?

/ Have you ever sold a tractor due to no dealer support? #33  
When you get that kind of service from an employee it reflects heavily on management and basically you should hear "here's your sign" echoing in your head. I oversaw 10 shops at one point and would have fired any employee I heard treating customers that way. Customers signed my paycheck for 39 years.

/ Have you ever sold a tractor due to no dealer support? #34  
My Local Kubota dealer went out of business 5 years ago . I bought my Kubota used (lease return) from them in 2004 . Only parts I have needed have been fluids and filters. I buy those online now. My local auto parts store makes hydraulic hoses, mine are starting to crack so I may need to have some made soon. We have a great local John Deere dealer, but I didn't have enough green to buy green when I bought my tractor back then. I could sell my tractor for what I paid for it 19 years ago but the replacement cost would be really high. Unless you find a great deal on another brand, its not worthwhile to sell to buy another brand. greenpartstore.com is good to deal with I have bought paint from them for a lot less than I can get it locally. They ship fast too.

/ Have you ever sold a tractor due to no dealer support? #35  
Only thing about custom hose sizes is they charge pretty good $ for making them compared to buying hoses in stock lengths. I spent about $120 for two custom 36" long hoses a couple of weeks ago because I couldn't find any with JIC 90 degree fittings on one end and 1/4 straight NPTs on the other. It's just part of normal maintenance cost. Hoses go bad over time.

/ Have you ever sold a tractor due to no dealer support? #36  
Have you ever sold or traded a tractor due to no dealer support? Meaning out of practicality. Not out of frustration or anything else.

Six years ago, we bought a brand new John Deere locally. Specifically went that route so that I could drive to get parts same day if something broke. And there are some repairs I'd be afraid to tackle, so wanted a local dealer for that.

Here's the timeline starting after the purchase (which we are very pleased with the purchase and we love the tractor).

1) Went to pick up extra keys for the tractor, just to have them around. Dealer handed me two keys and I thought I'd test the keys before putting them with my other spares. The keys didn't fit. No problem, the dealer swapped them out the next day.
But if I hadn't checked, I could have been in a bad spot thinking I had extra keys when I didn't.

2) The U-joint on the John Deere (Frontier) brush cutter gave out. I'd like to keep mowing so I call the dealer to see about picking up a U-joint.

"I have several in stock. $950"
"No, thank you. I just need the U-joint. Not the whole shaft."
"It doesn't come that way. We only sell the whole shaft with both ends. $950"
"I have the schematic and part number. I'll bring it in."

I brought in the part number and he found the U joint in stock. But ONLY because I brought the part number to him.

3) The kids called to report a hydraulic hose started leaking. I told them to take it off and carry it into the dealer for a new one. I forgot about this because they had it under control. A week later I find a Kubota (gasp!) box in my truck. Why is a Kubota box in my truck?

"Because the John Deere dealer said they don't stock hydraulic hoses. They told us Kubota makes hydraulic hoses and we should take it (the John Deere hose) to Kubota because they could make a hose in one hour."

They were right, by the way. Kubota made them the hose on the spot.

Sooooooo. . . .

We're not mad or upset in any way. This has been a great tractor and these are small parts that are expected to wear out over time. But I'm worried that if I really need something done that I cannot do, the dealer won't be able to do it either.

To put a finer point on it-- This tractor is running great. But we are thinking of trading it for another brand NOW, so if it breaks later we won't be stuck with a tractor that nobody can fix.

What do you all think?
I've had a JD for 24 years and if I experienced the problems you are having I would locate an independent hose distributor that can make a hose while you wait. If the dealer is not responsive I would call or email JD factory and voice your concerns to a regional or national sales manager. A company like John Deere won't put up with a dealer that is unresponsive. Your complaint will be taken seriously I believe. Jim

/ Have you ever sold a tractor due to no dealer support? #37  
Only thing about custom hose sizes is they charge pretty good $ for making them compared to buying hoses in stock lengths. I spent about $120 for two custom 36" long hoses a couple of weeks ago because I couldn't find any with JIC 90 degree fittings on one end and 1/4 straight NPTs on the other. It's just part of normal maintenance cost. Hoses go bad over time.

A lot of times I don't mind paying for convenience and guarantee of buying same day hoses. But they sure are a lot less expensive on line. That combo with adapters would cost about a third as much online.

Like a lot of rural families I grew up buying from Sears and Roebucks. Nowdays it's parts from Amazon.

/ Have you ever sold a tractor due to no dealer support? #38  
I have a John Deere and found the two dealers near me and night and day different. The smaller lawn and garden shop is closer but the big ag shop has better help and knowledge.

I recently needed a new battery for my little 3032e. The small shop didn’t have one in stock and told me to go get one at NAPA. I had already looked at that option and the NAPA recommended battery was only about 2/3 the rated CCA and cost $50 more. They told me they could order and get it in a week or so.

I then called the big Ag shop. They had three Strongbox battery with correct part number in stock. So I drove the extra 10 miles in opposite direction and picked it up same day brought it home and installed it. Total cost, including tax was $159.40. The NAPA was $209 before tax.

All dealerships are not the same. The farm shop is huge and focused on keeping local farmers/ranchers going. The other guys are more focused on lawn and garden with a small parts department. I use both now. I just call before I go.

/ Have you ever sold a tractor due to no dealer support? #39  

All dealerships are not the same. The farm shop is huge and focused on keeping local farmers/ranchers going. The other guys are more focused on lawn and garden with a small parts department. I use both now. I just call before I go.
This tidbit about Deere dealers bears repeating. Any Deere dealer can get ANY Deere part. There're three divisions... Lawn & garden, Ag and Construction. While many Deere parts are common across many machines ... (filters, bolts, fittings,etc.) just don't expect the large construction dealer to stock lawn mower blades. But, I've gotten blades there, in a few days. No shipping charge too !

/ Have you ever sold a tractor due to no dealer support? #40  
A lot of times I don't mind paying for convenience and guarantee of buying same day hoses. But they sure are a lot less expensive on line. That combo with adapters would cost about a third as much online.

Like a lot of rural families I grew up buying from Sears and Roebucks. Nowdays it's parts from Amazon.
any suggestions where I'd get them on-line? Part of my trouble was identifying the JIC connectors. The local auto parts dealer immediately identified what they were and the correct size. However, I don't like paying $120 for two small hoses.