Great work "poster"

/ Great work "poster" #94  
The GI Bill was a good investment - boosted our economy.
I think the JTPA (Job training Partnership Act) was as well.

Not so sure about free college.

I bet there would end up being "professional" students,
basically just unending college and University, get a degree and then just start over and get another, and another... 10 years go by and the "student" hasn't had to get a job?

/ Great work "poster" #95  
Why all the hostility towards education? I'm glad my Dr., Nurse, Accountant, and Computer Engineers have the requisite education. I wouldn't put someone on a $1M CNC Machine Tool without the requisite education. That doesn't make you a better person. The home health aids that cared for my 98 year old mother were among the most caring and generous people I know.

My father dropped out of school in the 8th grade when his father died. He ran the family farm (with horses) to support family, and saw to it that they all graduated from high school. He was one of the wisest people I ever knew. Millionaires were proud to call him friend.

Education doesn't make you better, but it can be a great hand up out of poverty. My heart aches for those folks who worked where their daddy did, and no longer have a job. and no prospects. Instead of turning to education, they turn to opiates, alcohol and domestic abuse. Apparently it's easier to embrace victim-hood than to make an effort to change your destiny.

Last edited:
   / Great work "poster"
Been there, done that. Dairy Queen, not McDonalds. . (y)
There were a lot of things that helped define me as a person growing up.

My first job in middle school was at a knitting yarn factory and it was just me and an adult showing me what to do "after hours". It was pretty easy honestly, no pressure and all I had to do was follow my lead.

You want pressure, be a teen in a new job in front of a cash register at a fast food place having no clue what you should do other than having an "adult" tell you what to do (in front of the customers no less) and have all the customers in front of you look at you like you're an idiot LOL GREAT training for life in general in more ways than one IMO.

/ Great work "poster" #97  
I think there is a program in Indiana (perhaps Purdue) where they "invest in students". Based on your major they will make an investment and pay for your education. If you succeed and get a good job, you pay it back with a healthy return. If you end up without a decent job, the money is considered a write-off. Essential a venture capital program for people. I understand it is quite successful.
I looked it up tonight. It's called the Purdue Back a Boiler Program.

You borrow from the fund and agree to pay back a percentage of your income after graduation for a set number of agreed upon years.

Quite an interesting option to pay for school.

/ Great work "poster" #98  
There were a lot of things that helped define me as a person growing up.

My first job in middle school was at a knitting yarn factory and it was just me and an adult showing me what to do "after hours". It was pretty easy honestly, no pressure and all I had to do was follow my lead.

You want pressure, be a teen in a new job in front of a cash register at a fast food place having no clue what you should do other than having an "adult" tell you what to do (in front of the customers no less) and have all the customers in front of you look at you like you're an idiot LOL GREAT training for life in general in more ways than one IMO.
Reminds me of the movie Graveyard Shift: Jason Reed is working the graveyard shift at a rat-infested textile mill that has recently been reopened. Reed is surrounded by rats, and attempts to drive them away by throwing one rat into a cotton picker. When the rats do not leave, Reed prepares to throw another one into the cotton picker when he is attacked by a large unseen creature which pushes him into the cotton picker where he is torn apart.

When I worked at DQ, girls worked the order windows and front half of the operation, boys worked the back making sandwiches and restocking, only filling in at the windows when necessary. I recall someone asking me to make them a peanut butter parfait. So I did. A few minutes later, someone knocked on the window. I opened it and they yelled "What the **** is this???!!!" I said a peanut butter parfait. They said "I wanted a peanut BUSTER parfait!" and chucked it back in the window at me. 😬

/ Great work "poster" #99  
Why all the hostility towards education? I'm glad my Dr., Nurse, Accountant, and Computer Engineers have the requisite education. I wouldn't put someone on a $1M CNC Machine Tool without the requisite education. That doesn't make you a better person. The home health aids that cared for my 98 year old mother were among the most caring and generous people I know.

My father dropped out of school in the 8th grade when his father died. He ran the family farm (with horses) to support family, and saw to it that they all graduated from high school. He was one of the wisest people I ever knew. Millionaires were proud to call him friend.

Education doesn't make you better, but it can be a great hand up out of poverty. My heart aches for those folks who worked where their daddy did, and no longer have a job. and no prospects. Instead of turning to education, they turn to opiates, alcohol and domestic abuse. Apparently it's easier to embrace victim-hood than to make an effort to change your destiny.
Nobody here believes we dont want an unedumecated populashun.

/ Great work "poster" #100  
I looked it up tonight. It's called the Purdue Back a Boiler Program.

You borrow from the fund and agree to pay back a percentage of your income after graduation for a set number of agreed upon years.

Quite an interesting option to pay for school.

As an Illini whose kids are Wolverines, it's tough for me to say this, but Purdue is doing a lot of good things. I would assign a lot of credit to Mitch Daniels, the former Indiana governor and now Purdue president.