Great work "poster"

/ Great work "poster" #1  

Sigarms

Tractor
F3080
Came across this within a facebook group I belong to, and thought it hit the nail on the head. It really does appear the quote is attributed to Mike Rowe. Did some more searching, came across his foundation which I really like the idea of About Us

I understand that college loans could easily delve into a political discussion, and I'd prefer to stay away from that rabbit hole.

Talking with some friends who happen to be business trade owners, the issue with trying to get "apprentices" to work and learn in the field at a high school age is liability issues.

Sad fact is plumbing, welding, carpentry, electrical and HVAC fields (to name a few) are really never addressed in high school IMO, and the golden egg always seems to be associated with a college degree.

T.png

/ Great work "poster" #2  
We don’t honor or emphasize trades, both skilled and unskilled in this country.
Just look at how Hollywood, the #1 purveyor of propaganda, views the working man living in flyover country.

We need a Canadian style trucker revolt to fix snotty peoples attitudes.
Empty shelves for a few weeks be a good start.
I mean REAL empty shelves.

/ Great work "poster" #3  
I like the idea of a college tuition being based on a percentage of earnings once they graduate.

In this model the teaching institution has a vested interest in the individual getting an education that offers very good chance of employment at a decent wage for the institution to benefit from the arrangement.

/ Great work "poster" #4  
Came across this within a facebook group I belong to, and thought it hit the nail on the head. It really does appear the quote is attributed to Mike Rowe. Did some more searching, came across his foundation which I really like the idea of About Us

I understand that college loans could easily delve into a political discussion, and I'd prefer to stay away from that rabbit hole.

Talking with some friends who happen to be business trade owners, the issue with trying to get "apprentices" to work and learn in the field at a high school age is liability issues.

Sad fact is plumbing, welding, carpentry, electrical and HVAC fields (to name a few) are really never addressed in high school IMO, and the golden egg always seems to be associated with a college degree.

View attachment 732427
Well back in the 1950s when I was in high school, There was a whole wing, probably 1/3 of the classroom area of the whole school....including the gym, that was devoted to trades of all sorts including one of my favorite classes, Mechanical Drawing.

/ Great work "poster" #5  
Ah, yes. Sunday morning devil's advocate. ;)

Currently, and for the past umpteen decades, that contractor can write off the cost of that machine and/or declare bankruptcy and wipe all his debts, while the only loans that aren't forgivable are student loans. They follow the debtor to the grave with very, very few exceptions.

Have everyone that has used depreciation or declared bankruptcy to wipe their debt pay back all that money first.

🙃

/ Great work "poster" #6  
Is writing off something over year(s) the same as being given something that can make you millions over the course of your life all at once?
Also last I checked a piece of farm machinery requires a lot of maintenance, upkeep and indoor storage whereas the diploma hanging on the wall just needs an occasional dusting ;)

Starting off in business in your low 20’s without a college degree means high interest rates and terms compared to college grad with diploma.

I have both and I can attest the diploma was easier to “fund” than the tractor.

Last edited:
   / Great work "poster" #7  
I agree one of my friend is a carpenter and created his business right after school. He didn’t play it smart in many ways but he tried to get loans for vehicles and couldn’t because of his credit. He is too high risk and his salary is not garantie so he started purchasing things cash, now 10 years later and the snow ball effect and he is still in this situation despite having an successful business but still can’t get himself a loan to purchase a house.

/ Great work "poster" #8  
Is writing off something over year(s) the same as being given something that can make you millions over the course of your life all at once?
Also last I checked a piece of farm machinery requires a lot of maintenance, upkeep and indoor storage whereas the diploma hanging on the wall just needs an occasional dusting ;)

Starting off in business in your low 20’s without a college degree means high interest rates and terms compared to college grad with diploma.

I have both and I can attest the diploma was easier to “fund” than the tractor.
If we're gonna consider a truck the same as a diploma (both tools to make a living), which is what Mike is doing, then they should both be treated the same. Right now, the truck loan can be ditched in bankruptcy, and the student loan cannot. To me, it's just that simple of an argument.

/ Great work "poster" #9  
The government giving someone a college education is not the same as the government offering equipment being written off on taxes.
The later requires a business in place to acquire equipment, which requires a considerable amount of capital and risk beforehand.

Plopping ones perverbial azz down at State U for 4 years while they feed and house you does not.

Last edited: