Great work "poster"

/ Great work "poster" #111  
Little view from side

First of all - to me tuition fees in US universities seems ridiculous. They has to be adjusted. I can agree, that college degree is not for everybody, young folks has to be motivated to go trough school. But come on, not 100k

Other than that, IMHO EU system seems somehow more logical.
Here government defines priorities and pay for certain number of students.
Those priorities are always the same - medicine, teachers, engineering, etc. Student just have to "successful" (IDK correct word, basically he has to pass all the exams). If student fails at exam, next year he have to pay. But doors to budget quota remains open.
In some EU countries if there is not enough local students, foreign students can qualify for "budget quote" too. Even those, non-EU residents. Student just have to take care of his own living costs. But if he shines with his grades, even that could be covered.

We here are not so big communists, non-EU citizens have to pay their tuition. If I am not wrong, Indians pay like 3.000 €/year for engineering studies

If young person wants to study anything, what gov doesn't find important for socium, like "queer cats behavior" 🙃 s/he is free to do so, but at his own costs at full price.

Might be that to you EU system seems little "communist", but that is way, how to find and put on right tracks those with bright heads, but not with so fortunate parents.

/ Great work "poster" #112  
@Cougsfan , I understand you heart is in the right place, but as a teacher, I would say you are wrong. More pay will mean more teachers who look at the profession as a payday rather than a calling. You would get even a higher percentage of bad teachers.

If you really want to make education better, make it simple. Get rid of 90% of the administration. Most of those roles are there to track state and federal mandates in a vain attempt to take unequally gifted children and make their education the same. We spend an inordinate amount of resources on those who benefit the least from the schooling. Instead of giving each student the best education for them, we force them all into the same box and when it doesn't work, we add a layer of administration and dollars to 'fix' it.

We cannot address many problems because of the perception that it is not fair. Most of the students are good, but they suffer because we cannot discipline those who cause problems. We cannot even separate them because the law requires the 'least restrictive environment'.
If it were up to me, HS teachers would need a minimum of 5 years of work in a non-academic environment after college before being considered. Too much disconnect exists between academia and the real world.

/ Great work "poster" #113  
I got my BBA 40 years ago. I had to move a considerable distance in the early 80’s to find desirable work in my field. No regrets. I have since retired back to my rural hometown. When kids here ask me about schooling choices I first ask “where do you intend to live?”
A friend’s son went off to a an excellent & expensive college and returned here with a degree in architecture. He sells insurance. That really ticks his dad off as he paid for that diploma.

/ Great work "poster" #114  
I got my BBA 40 years ago. I had to move a considerable distance in the early 80’s to find desirable work in my field. No regrets. I have since retired back to my rural hometown. When kids here ask me about schooling choices I first ask “where do you intend to live?”
A friend’s son went off to a an excellent & expensive college and returned here with a degree in architecture. He sells insurance. That really ticks his dad off as he paid for that diploma.
The lesson here is let kids pay their own way. I see a lot of parents who force, needle, cajole, their kids into a 'good' major and enforce it because mom and dad are paying. Maybe the kid never wanted to be an architect? Lots of kids in pre-med and pre-law trying to make parents happy and keep $ flowing.

/ Great work "poster" #115  
The lesson here is let kids pay their own way. I see a lot of parents who force, needle, cajole, their kids into a 'good' major and enforce it because mom and dad are paying. Maybe the kid never wanted to be an architect? Lots of kids in pre-med and pre-law trying to make parents happy and keep $ flowing.
From another point of view, I have a relative that wants to be a veterinarian. There are only something like 29 accredited vet schools in the country. None are affordable to average people. If your life calling is to be a veterinarian, and you have to pay for it yourself, you're going into large debt. That's all there is to it.

/ Great work "poster" #116  
From another point of view, I have a relative that wants to be a veterinarian. There are only something like 29 accredited vet schools in the country. None are affordable to average people. If your life calling is to be a veterinarian, and you have to pay for it yourself, you're going into large debt. That's all there is to it.
My daughter the nurse wanted to be a vet. Then she figured out that she was not wired academically to handle the program. Had school been 'free' she probably would have spent a bunch of other people's money to learn that she didn't have the chops for it.

Not everyone who is called is able.

I know a bunch of kids on scholarship at TAMU, one of those 29 schools. Those are mostly needs based, but some academic as well. Vets also make good money, so paying loans back is not too bad.

/ Great work "poster" #117  
My daughter the nurse wanted to be a vet. Then she figured out that she was not wired academically to handle the program. Had school been 'free' she probably would have spent a bunch of other people's money to learn that she didn't have the chops for it.

Not everyone who is called is able.

I know a bunch of kids on scholarship at TAMU, one of those 29 schools. Those are mostly needs based, but some academic as well. Vets also make good money, so paying loans back is not too bad.
Veterinarians don't make that good of money to pay back those loans. One of my kids, whose married to the vet student, worked at a vet clinic for 4-5 years during high school and college. They had a couple of young vets. They told us that they will have that loan for a long, long time, just like taxes, utility bills, mortgage, etc. They said the only way to deal with it is to just consider the debt a part of your life.

Most of the older vets went to school when costs were a lot more reasonable as compared to today. Many young vets hope to buy out an old vet's practice. And even more are buying them, then selling them to a corporation, so that they can continue to practice vet medicine without the financial burden of owning the office. The corporation provides them a place to practice.

/ Great work "poster" #118  
Another problems is automated recruiting systems used at medium to large firms.
If you don't have a degree the system rejects your resume and that's the end of the process.

/ Great work "poster" #119  
HS teachers would need a minimum of 5 years of work in a non-academic environment after college before being considered. Too much disconnect exists between academia and the real world.
That makes a lot of sense. But too many may not come back to teaching. Could be a double edged sword.