Grasshopper mowers

/ Grasshopper mowers #1  

MultiMow

Gold Member
Tractor
Toro 325-D 4WD
Just wanting to hear experiences/opinions about Grasshopper mowers... especially the front mount diesels, and how they compare to the competition.

I'm looking to buy used, so new machine pricing comparison is irrelevant.

/ Grasshopper mowers #2  
I don't have a diesel but do have a front mount. A few of the pro's are it can mow under things, tackles hills fairly well (I water filled my tires, it climbs very well going up hills backwards tires filled or not), it rides smooth, multiple attachments to fit up front (the dozer blade for the front pushes snow very well) and the mower leaves a nice cut.

A few downsides: it seems like it blows more dust on you than a mid mount, especially if you are discharging into the wind, it is a heavy machine that sinks when it gets stuck, there are more moving parts to maintain or replace (deck gearbox, prop shaft under the unit, another set of caster wheels). To me everything on a Grasshopper seems to only fit a Grasshopper mower and seems to only be found through Grasshopper parts, ie: not a universal part. Take for instance the deck casters.... I can find them all day long in the right size but all the universal ones use a different bore diameter than what Grasshopper uses, same with the pulley on the prop shaft in the rear on the unit, same with drive wheels and drive tires. Despite this non-commonality I have found that when you get the non-universal type replacement part it typically isn't junk... may have been why Grasshopper built them this way

/ Grasshopper mowers #3  
I looked at them when I was shopping for a zero turn. Everything about the that I read was great, but when I got to the dealership, the sales guy was really bad and I didn't want to buy anything from him. A few months later, that dealership closed up and now I don't even know where they sell them. If you are serious about a front mower deck, be sure to look at what Kubota has to offer. They make really nice machines and you know they will always be around.

/ Grasshopper mowers #4  
Grasshopper is near the top of the heap. They are priced that way as well.

/ Grasshopper mowers #5  
I have a 722D and a 725D, both front mount diesels. I love them. They are rugged but comfortable, and do a great job on the lawn and trails I mow. I treat mine like a brush hog sometimes, but have never had any major issues. I had to replace a solenoid on the 722D after 8 years I think, and it was only a few bucks. The bearings on one rear wheel on the 722D also needed replaced once, and that included some spacers and other parts but was still less than 20 bucks I think. I tow a trailer with them, use them to spread fertilizer, and tow my 12' boom sprayer. On the down side, like any diesel they are heavy. That's about it.
Dealer support is important. I have a couple I can use, and have more GH dealers around me than Kubota dealers. My closest Kubota dealer is also a GH dealer, if that tells you something.

/ Grasshopper mowers #6  
I have a 721-D and a 725-D they mow really great...

standard.jpg

The 725 has a noticeable amount of power over the 721, but both mow good.

I also blow snow with the 725 in the winter, it works surprisingly good!

standard.jpg

SR

/ Grasshopper mowers #7  
I have this. It was made by Grasshopper back in 1994. I have no idea how it will hold up but i'm bullish on it. I see some Snapper Z-rider diesels in NC (Craigslist) that I would consider if I were you.

2017-01-28 16.10.41.jpg2017-01-28 16.10.55.jpg2017-01-28 16.11.20.jpg

/ Grasshopper mowers #8  
Once you've flipped up the deck to clean it (even better if you have power lift, I don't :( ) you'll wonder how you lived without it. I love the front mounted deck to go under corrals, the roller on the side of the deck allows you to mow right up to buildings, both save time weedeating. Never seems short of power (I have a 721D, G2) and I can mow at nearly full speed if needed, cut down my mowing time by at least 2/3rds. And less time mowing is more time enjoying the place.

/ Grasshopper mowers #9  
I really like the power fold deck on my GH, it sure makes blade sharpening MUCH easier...

standard.jpg

SR

/ Grasshopper mowers
I looked at them when I was shopping for a zero turn. Everything about the that I read was great, but when I got to the dealership, the sales guy was really bad and I didn't want to buy anything from him. A few months later, that dealership closed up and now I don't even know where they sell them. If you are serious about a front mower deck, be sure to look at what Kubota has to offer. They make really nice machines and you know they will always be around.
I have checked out Kubota, but their front mounts are 4wd units like my Toro. They use non-modular proprietary transmissions that also house the PTO, and they only support their two latest generations (meaning, with the arrival of the successor to their current F90 series, they will discontinue support for F80 and previous).

Also, a flail deck for a Kubota is UNGODLY expensive ($8,000+ for a new TriMax).

I LOVE Kubota products, but I just can't afford one for this application.

I do have to admit... I do get an unholy tingle at the thought of 39 diesel fed, 4wd horses running a front mounted 6ft flail mower that maneuvers like a forklift 😁

Last edited:

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

2002 Ford Mustang Mustang (A33041)
2002 Ford Mustang...
Armstrong AG Sbpf-jd 6-7 Pallet Forks (A33041)
Armstrong AG...
8 Yard steel end load dumpster, used w/ normal wear & tear (A33073)
8 Yard steel end...
Sprayer (A33041)
Sprayer (A33041)
AGT H12R Mini Excavator (A33526)
AGT H12R Mini...
International 3688 Tractor (A33041)
International 3688...