Grass Seed Prices

/ Grass Seed Prices #11  
Did you look at the tag on the bags? A lot of the K31 I've been seeing at places like TSC, Lowes etc. are pretty garbage spec wise. 80% germination rate, only 50% pure seed, couple % noxious weed seed. Might be cheaper but not worth putting down for the slight savings. And at only 50% seed its not really any savings.
This is the turf type tall fescue I got from TSC.

PXL_20211022_190125608.jpg

/ Grass Seed Prices #12  
this spring i looked into Zoysia seed from local ag store, the guy started laughing.

25 lb bag, with tax and shipping, just under $900

that's about $35 a Pound!

/ Grass Seed Prices #13  
Did you look at the tag on the bags? A lot of the K31 I've been seeing at places like TSC, Lowes etc. are pretty garbage spec wise. 80% germination rate, only 50% pure seed, couple % noxious weed seed. Might be cheaper but not worth putting down for the slight savings. And at only 50% seed its not really any savings.
I never know how to read those grass seed labels, what does "50% pure seed" mean? What's the rest? As far as weeds, big whoop, I'd say half my lawn is "weeds". As long as it's green, that's all I really care. I live in the country, not some snooty suburb.

/ Grass Seed Prices #14  
I never know how to read those grass seed labels, what does "50% pure seed" mean? What's the rest? As far as weeds, big whoop, I'd say half my lawn is "weeds". As long as it's green, that's all I really care. I live in the country, not some snooty suburb.
It means you're paying for something other then grass seed like fillers/cellulose coating waste material from the sorting process etc. so yeah, to me it matters. I can get weeds for free all day, if I'm buying grass seed I want grass seed not weeds.

I don't live In snooty neighborhood, but that doesn't mean I want my place to look like garbage either.

Sent from my SM-G715U1 using TractorByNet mobile app

/ Grass Seed Prices #15  
It means you're paying for something other then grass seed like fillers/cellulose coating waste material from the sorting process etc. so yeah, to me it matters. I can get weeds for free all day, if I'm buying grass seed I want grass seed not weeds.

I don't live In snooty neighborhood, but that doesn't mean I want my place to look like garbage either.
Well, I guess if only half the stuff in the bag is seed I guess that matters. Thanks for the clarification.
As far as weeds vs grass, it all looks the same 25' away, and sometimes the weeds stand up to unfavorable conditions (drought, poor soil, etc.) better than the grass does! My place doesn't look like garbage either, but I'm not going to obsess over a lawn.

/ Grass Seed Prices #16  
The tall turf fescues are the rage because they have deep root systems that require less fertilizer and water. Little summer brownout. A problem, however, is that this is a "clumping" variety and one seed gets you one plant and they don't put out runners to spread the lawn.

For this reason, a 20% or so ratio of a finer fescue or perennial rye is often in the mix to give a more balanced blend. The price increases of late are not so much in the tall turfs but in the finer fescues. The fescues or perennial rye will spread itself and balance out the lawn with good resistance to drought and lesser fertility, yet a snazzy looking lawn if you care about that.

If I put KY31 on a yard lawn around here, I would likely be beat to death by the neighbors. It's great for fields and such but the extra wide blade and extra-clumping appearance detract from a front yard lawn.

/ Grass Seed Prices #17  
Well, I guess if only half the stuff in the bag is seed I guess that matters. Thanks for the clarification.
As far as weeds vs grass, it all looks the same 25' away, and sometimes the weeds stand up to unfavorable conditions (drought, poor soil, etc.) better than the grass does! My place doesn't look like garbage either, but I'm not going to obsess over a lawn.
Didn't mean to infer you're yard looked like garbage, we have some weeds here that stand out pretty well and can take over a lawn if not kept in check, your area might not have that problem if you're in an area that is cooler.

I like to maintain my grass, partly because I enjoy the challenge of it and partly because I do it for a side business for other people. If my yard looked bad it wouldn't be good for my business!

This is a picture of a property that I maintained for about 9years for someone and just ended up buying.
963124399.jpg

Sent from my SM-G715U1 using TractorByNet mobile app

/ Grass Seed Prices #18  
If it looks better than the seed I planted it's no longer a "weed". I haven't had that happen yet.

I got some Dallisgrass weed seed in some grass seed I overseeded with some years ago. I've been battling it since. It's more durable than fescue and grows faster but it looks terrible. The only way to kill it is to spray the heck out of it or dig it out, and you have to dig deep enough to get all the rhizomes.

/ Grass Seed Prices #19  
I noticed prices were high down here near Williamsburg too.

If you don't mind Kentucky 31 fescue, check Tractor Supply. 50# uncoated is $85 and 50# coated is $70.
I am about 50 miles from you and find local knowledge to be the best. It's time to get my front lawn looking presentable. So, I will need a great front lawn seed and feed program.. What do you recommend? Thank you

/ Grass Seed Prices
I am about 50 miles from you and find local knowledge to be the best. It's time to get my front lawn looking presentable. So, I will need a great front lawn seed and feed program.. What do you recommend? Thank you
Try Trinity Turf in Richmond VA. Nice guy that has a warehouse full of seed and fertilizers. Very knowledgeable and he will have what you are looking for. I recommend calling him and explaining your situation and see what he says. I try and use a good mid-Atlantic fescue (5 blend fescue if you can find it). I lime and fertilize my yard everytime I plant grass and aerate. Best time around here to plant is usually in September to early fall for best results. You can also get your ground tested and find out exactly what it needs.