Grass seed - non-coated

/ Grass seed - non-coated #1  

Buggs67

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti 2014 CK2510 TLB
I went to pick up grass seed and it's all coated; 50% of the weight is inert materials and the package claims to retain more water. And the price...$50 for 20 lbs, of which only half was seed.

Last year I picked up seed from the local supplier of corn, straw, hay, etc. He buys in bulk and when I asked what kind of see it was he said "Perry County Blend". Well, it grows but dies back fast.

What are your experiences? I just want to seed some areas that need it, some bare spots. And reseed where his seed died.

/ Grass seed - non-coated #2  
I usually plant non coated Fescue here but you location will determine the correct seed.

/ Grass seed - non-coated #3  
I went to pick up grass seed and it's all coated; 50% of the weight is inert materials and the package claims to retain more water. And the price...$50 for 20 lbs, of which only half was seed.

Last year I picked up seed from the local supplier of corn, straw, hay, etc. He buys in bulk and when I asked what kind of see it was he said "Perry County Blend". Well, it grows but dies back fast.

What are your experiences? I just want to seed some areas that need it, some bare spots. And reseed where his seed died.
Have experienced the same "blend" situation here. Locally, it is called "Gaylord Mix"; mostly rye grass which will grow on a cue ball, but isn't the best for longevity. We fill in with Kentucky Blue Grass or fescue suitable for our climate and shade/sun situation once the rye is established.

/ Grass seed - non-coated #4  
When I bought 100 lbs of tall fescue last month all they had at TSC was coated. In the past they've carried both. Fescue prices went way up due to the heat wave in Oregon last summer killing a lot of the seed grass. It's double for uncoated, less for coated.

I asked here about coated vs non coated and the answer was that the coating helps the seed germinate. Looking on line I see claims that it helps the seed drop through the existing grass onto soil (only a factor for over seeding) and has nutrients to help the seed grow. If coating helps germination rates then the difference in the number of new grass seedlings won't be so great.

I usually use uncoated but did not have a choice this time.

/ Grass seed - non-coated
When I bought 100 lbs of tall fescue last month all they had at TSC was coated. In the past they've carried both. Fescue prices went way up due to the heat wave in Oregon last summer killing a lot of the seed grass. It's double for uncoated, less for coated.

I asked here about coated vs non coated and the answer was that the coating helps the seed germinate. Looking on line I see claims that it helps the seed drop through the existing grass onto soil (only a factor for over seeding) and has nutrients to help the seed grow. If coating helps germination rates then the difference in the number of new grass seedlings won't be so great.

I usually use uncoated but did not have a choice this time.
I wasn't aware of the price increase due to supply issues. I guess with the pandemic everything is going up, Also if they only stock coated seed they've painted us into a corner. Just burns me up to pay more for grass seed than ground beef.

And I'm not looking to have a golf-corse quality lawn; just something green and decent.

/ Grass seed - non-coated #6  
Coating prevents birds from eating 20% of your seed.

/ Grass seed - non-coated #7  
Last year I picked up seed from the local supplier. It grows but dies back fast.

I just want to seed some areas that need it, some bare spots. And reseed where his seed died.

Take time to obtain a <$10 soil test, notifying the testing site that you intend to grow grass. If the soil pH is correct or correct after you add recommended supplements, you will not have die back.

/ Grass seed - non-coated
Welll, Agway in Carlisle had non-coated seed. So instead of $50 for 10 lb of seed I got 25 lb for $104. Same price as Ground Chuck at Karn's grocery. But...at least gas is up to $4.20 a gallon, up from $3.75 at the beginning of the week. So, as Bill Murray said in Caddy Shack, I got THAT going for me!!

/ Grass seed - non-coated #9  
I found it was cheaper/easier to order a pallet of sod directly from the supplier then to try re-seeding.