Grass Seed Prices

/ Grass Seed Prices #1  

WVH1977

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland TC40, Hitachi EX100, Gravely Pro-Turn 152
Went to buy some Mid-Atlantic fescue grass today. $$$ 159.99 for 50 lbs. How much are you paying? I was going to buy some annual winter rye as well,$ 69.99. I put that back. Hate to see what it costs next year.

/ Grass Seed Prices #2  
Sounds average---- AND its only getting worse! Last year we did 5 miles of waterways for people and they freaked out at the seed price!

/ Grass Seed Prices #3  
There was a big jump this year, supposedly due to the drought in Oregon, according to my supplier the harvest was down about 60% this year.

I bought some seed in early July because he said there was going to be a slight price increase, when I went to buy a couple more bags in early Oct. (I was late getting it down this year) the seed I normally use had gone from $107 a bag to over $170!
I bought my second choice that had gone from about $87 to $134!

If i hadn't bought some seed early it would have cost me another $4-500 for my first order, glad i got it when I did. Because suppliers place orders out a couple years in advance I don't see prices coming down any time soon unfortunately.

Supplier said from the usual 6 truckloads they get this time of year they could only get 5 due to the shortage.

/ Grass Seed Prices #4  
I noticed prices were high down here near Williamsburg too.

If you don't mind Kentucky 31 fescue, check Tractor Supply. 50# uncoated is $85 and 50# coated is $70.

/ Grass Seed Prices #5  
They're higher here for some seed yeh. Over at TSC, the KY 31 stuff, 50 pounder bag, it's like 10 bux or so higher over last year. I only use that stuff way back in the yard. For the front, I bought a 50 lb bag of the turf type tall fescue for some patching and overseeding, it was like $90.

/ Grass Seed Prices #6  
I noticed prices were high down here near Williamsburg too.

If you don't mind Kentucky 31 fescue, check Tractor Supply. 50# uncoated is $85 and 50# coated is $70.
Did you look at the tag on the bags? A lot of the K31 I've been seeing at places like TSC, Lowes etc. are pretty garbage spec wise. 80% germination rate, only 50% pure seed, couple % noxious weed seed. Might be cheaper but not worth putting down for the slight savings. And at only 50% seed its not really any savings.

/ Grass Seed Prices #7  
TSC has two Ky 31 Fescues- one is coated and the other is not. The bags are different color. The coated one is 50% seed and 50% coating. The last two years when I have bought it, the uncoated version had better germination and weed % numbers on the tag in addition to twice as much seed per bag, but the price was similar. I'm sure there's a reason people would use the coated version but I don't know what it is. Maybe it broadcasts better?

/ Grass Seed Prices #8  
TSC has two Ky 31 Fescues- one is coated and the other is not. The bags are different color. The coated one is 50% seed and 50% coating. The last two years when I have bought it, the uncoated version had better germination and weed % numbers on the tag in addition to twice as much seed per bag, but the price was similar. I'm sure there's a reason people would use the coated version but I don't know what it is. Maybe it broadcasts better?

The coating retains moisture and helps to prevent the seed from drying out and dying if you can't water it and there is no/minimal rain once it's sown.

/ Grass Seed Prices #10  
I've used both. The uncoated works in spring and fall with cooler temps and occasional rain. I've used the coated in the summer, just have to make sure to toss water on them.