Grand L seat replacement

/ Grand L seat replacement #22  
OK. We found the invoice for the seat and the options I ordered with it. Providing Grammer hasn't made any design changes since 24/01/12 it will fit the Kubota Grand L 5740 but the bottom seat pan on the tractor MUST be removed and modified. The part numbers are as follows:

(1) DRV Seat, MSG93/721,12V,MTX CTH # 1219869

(1) Armrest A80/380, LH #1026778

(1) Armrest A30/380, RH #1026779

(1) Backrest Extension Fabric # 1053033

(1) Kit, Seat belt, 2 Retraction, Short B # 902133

(1) Literature Box Kit # 142259

My total with shipping: $1353.55

Reviving an old thread, I know - however this might be helpful for anyone considering this seat swap.

I am currently performing this modification on my L5740. I went with the same components as 4Shorts. I called several US dealers listed on Grammer's website, but found that several of them did not stock / carry the MSG93/721 seat. A few of them required a minimum order quantities of (5) or more seats. I ended up finding mine in stock through Nick @ ToughSeats.com. Nick was helpful and pricing seemed competitive ($1,111 shipped to my door for all of the listed components below).

I was able to sell my OEM seat and suspension base on Craigslist in about 2 weeks to a local buyer for $450.

The factory Kubota seat has two safety switches, "Seat Tilt Switch" and "Seat Switch". Since the Grammer Air ride seat does not have a tilt function (or at least the one I received does not), I am planning to bypass (jumper) the tilt switch leads.

I retained the factory seat (pressure) switch out of my OEM seat. It does not appear that it will directly bolt-in to the Grammer seat. As such, I am not yet sure if I will modify it to work on the Grammer seat, or purchase a Grammer "Seat Presence Switch".

IMG_7636.jpegIMG_7623.jpgIMG_7625.jpgIMG_7627.jpgIMG_7630.jpg

/ Grand L seat replacement #23  
Bump. I debated for over a year on spending the big bucks to replace the factory seat in the used 5740 I purchased in 2016. Finally after getting beat up travelling on a rocky road, decided I had to do something.

Here is my approach:
Purchased bracket # PED11010 from K&M Manufacturing ($75). This provides the same outcome as mounting a flat seat pan on top of the existing , so you have to go with one of the shorter seats like MSG75. In the end I'd say this bracket saved a minor amount of time but has no substantial advantage over a flat plate.

I also purchased my Grammer from Tough Seats. MSG75 with arm rests, op seat switch, seat belts, swivel, and back extension was $1117 plus $50 shipping to Colorado. I really wanted swivel but it adds considerable height. (The swivel plate isn't that high, but forces you to add an extra pair of brackets. I modified some U-channel that Tough Seat provided as part of the package.) At 5 ft 8 inches tall, adding seat height is not desirable to me, so I had to raise my floor mat by 1 inch, and add 1.5 inches of high density rubber to my hydrostat pedal.

Swivel is an option I really wanted, but it I think it is tough to deal with whether using the MSG93/95 seat on the bottom, or MSG65/75 on top. I'm really happy with the way mine turned out, but if the seat had come out any higher I would have had a real problem.

One additional note, the back extension doesn't do a lot for me. I thought about returning it but after a few days decided to keep it.

20181007_112103.jpg

/ Grand L seat replacement #24  
Interesting photo. On my L4060 I occasionally have a problem with the right arm rest bumping the yellow PTO button. Its normally an inch away, 2 tops & apparently there is more vertical & horizontal flex in the system. OEM air ride seat too. Not horrible, but enough to annoyingly kill the PTO or pinch a finger from time to time. Surprised there is that much difference between a 40 & 60 series.

I do agree that swivel would be nice. Would make the armrest collisions much more frequent though.

/ Grand L seat replacement #25  
Interesting photo. On my L4060 I occasionally have a problem with the right arm rest bumping the yellow PTO button. Its normally an inch away, 2 tops & apparently there is more vertical & horizontal flex in the system. OEM air ride seat too. Not horrible, but enough to annoyingly kill the PTO or pinch a finger from time to time. Surprised there is that much difference between a 40 & 60 series.

I do agree that swivel would be nice. Would make the armrest collisions much more frequent though.

Yeah, there must be quite a bit of difference between the new cabs and the old cabs. I don't know if they improved the stock seat in the L60, but either way, I'm sure you are glad you opted for the air-ride. On my first trip up our road with the new seat I kept thinking, "I can't believe this." Money well spent.

/ Grand L seat replacement #26  
How does the MSG75 seat compare against the OEM for comfort? Is there enough padding? Would you want to sit in it for 12 hours at a time?