GR 2100/2120 slow reverse possible solution

/ GR 2100/2120 slow reverse possible solution #1  

TJP440

Tractor
Kubota b3200 & GR 2120
I have seen many comments on the slow reverse issue on these units.
Having previously relied on my well-paid employees to service my tractor's (BAD IDEA). I just finished the 400 hour service on my 2120 and while doing so decided to investigate the slow reverse issue. What I found may be of interest.
The actuating arm attached to the hydrostat shaft has a set screw and it was loose allowing the arm to move without actuating the shaft. NICE!!
It is a bit of a b--ch to get to. I backed it out as far as I dared and using a long wooden q-tip applied red loctite. I then tightened it, again as much as I dared. I then Adjusted the linkage per the FSM and it not only backs up a lot faster, it will back up a steep grade with no issue, it also picked up a lot of speed going forward while mowing.
There did appear to be a pre applied thread locker on the screw but it obviously didn't do its job. Wonder how many others might have this issue ?

/ GR 2100/2120 slow reverse possible solution #2  
Lets hope you never have to remove that set screw.
I use Blue Locktite in most cases and its holding fine.

Kubota F3060 uses rolled spring (spring pin) in that position and I have had to replace it due to wear in the pin.
It's not easy to get to!

/ GR 2100/2120 slow reverse possible solution
Lets hope you never have to remove that set screw.
I use Blue Locktite in most cases and its holding fine.

Kubota F3060 uses rolled spring (spring pin) in that position and I have had to replace it due to wear in the pin.
It's not easy to get to!
I hope I don't either, but if I do a bit of heat will loosen the loctite. As I mentioned there appeared to be a pre applied red thread locker (looks like red oxide primer) on the screw but it obviously didn't do it's job.
And yes it's a PITA to get to. The FSM shows a removable plate in that area but mine was solid frame rail :( , probably eliminated to save $$$ 🍻

/ GR 2100/2120 slow reverse possible solution #4  
Thanks for posting this, I'll give it a try on my GR2120. Instead of loc-tite, I'll just weld the set screw into position. :LOL:

if you are serious about doing so a couple of comments,
1. Better make sure it's real tight before doing so.
2. I would not recommend much heat as it may affect the shaft seal.
3. I would re-adjust the linkage both forward & reverse after doing so.
4.Hope you don't ever have to remove it.

I also forgot to mention that when it was almost new, I had modified the bottom of the pedal attempting to get more reverse speed /power but it had little to no effect 🍺

/ GR 2100/2120 slow reverse possible solution #6  
Juuuust kidding I won't weld on it :)

being in the classic car / resto business for 25+ years you wouldn't believe some of the "REPAIRS/FIXES" I've seen LOL 🍺