Governor for old Tecumseh

/ Governor for old Tecumseh #1  

Richard001

Veteran Member
Tractor
Jd lx178
I have an old Tecumseh 10 hp (model # VM100157023A) engine on my old riding mower. It appears that the governor is broken. I am not in the mode to remove the engine and disassemble it to replace the governor. i am concerned about over revving the engine.

I have ordered a rev limiter the is normally used on Cub Golf carts that is suppose to limit the RPM to about 4K, that worries me a bit as this engine has a lot of hours on it.

I am thinking of putting on a air vane governor. This would be easier than R&R the engine.

Any ideas how to do this ?

Richard

/ Governor for old Tecumseh #2  
Pretty ingenious. I suppose either could work. Bring out the CAD program. (Cardboard aided design ;) Keep the thread updated. Sounds interesting.

/ Governor for old Tecumseh #3  
Tecumseh engines, the problem with them was the governor. That's why they were always go cart and tiller engines. I do have a rider here with a Tecumseh on it, given to me, and I plan on getting the dying quivers out of. Once it swarms, it's done.
Go to harbor freight and get a new engine, very affordable. Very good engines. I've just seen them on home made boat motors, but they work good, crank and start easy. That's where I'm buying my next engine. Had a power washer with one. It worked good.

/ Governor for old Tecumseh
It looks like the well is dry, no good suggestions. So I think I will try to locate a air vane governor on the internet that is designed for a engine with about the same HP as the one I have. Then see how I can adapt.

/ Governor for old Tecumseh #5  
I think you can make this work. Keep us updated.

OK I got the Club Car rev limiter, doesn't work on my engine. So went back to looking at the governor. After experimenting a bit, I looks like maybe it still is operational.

So I dragged out the instructions for adjusting the governor arm. Last fall I tried adjusting the arm with no success. But after reviewing the instructions more carefully, I think I have it now.

To me, the instructions seem a bit confusing. Push the arm this way and turn the shaft that way, yeah sure.

Anyhow, after adjusting it several times, I may have it. Just ran the engine in the garage, didn't do a drive/mowing test.

Richard

/ Governor for old Tecumseh #7  
I'm not familiar with the rev limiter. How does that work?
My experience on mechanical governors is that the static governor adjustment is pretty much wide open throttle at both the governor shaft and throttle shaft- then tighten the arm down. Though there are times when it is advantageous to bring the adjustment back just a smidge if things are tired and worn.

The rev limiter is used on Club Cars to prevent destruction of the engine by users who don't care.

Here is a cut and paste from the PDF on an older Club car.

ITEM PART NO. DESCRIPTION
18 101909401 Limiter, RPM, OHV

FE290 ENGINE –
IGNITION COMPONENTS AND FLYWHEEL

Here is the Club Car site:

This jpg shows the connection to the engine ignition system:
engine w-rev limiter.JPG

The rev limiter monitors the frequency of the ignition pulses and cuts the spark, limiting the rpm to about 4,000. Is it placed in-line with the kill switch.

OK here is the drive and cut lawn report. With the throttle at wide open and no load, the RPM runs up to about 3,600 or so. With load and still at WOT, the RPM varies from about 2,500 to the 3,600 RPM.

So not the best, but I can live with this.

Richard