Got surprised today

/ Got surprised today #1  

Jimmy Joe

Gold Member
I went over to the neighbors today to see if I could borrow his six foot tiller, I work for him in the fall, so figured no problem, which it wasn't. Except his tiller was hooked up to his Agco ST41 tractor. So he says just take tractor and all, that way you won't have to unhook the tiller, besides he was going to use it in a day or two anyway. Unknown to him I really just wanted to use the tiller because I bought a new DX40 last fall and haven't used the PTO yet. So I took his tractor, it has a power shuttle transmission. His is a turbo charged 3 cylinder 41 HP I think.
I really liked the Agco tractor when I was tractor shopping, I thought the power shuttle transmission was the way to go, fun to drive and power seemed very good on a gear drive compared to a hydro. I was so close to buying one, the dealer is super but after looking at the Case there were so many features I liked better, like the loader it is a perfect match for this tractor. The hi lo control on the joystick, a bit larger frame, bigger tires and a four cylinder engine. The three point system seems beefier, there is a step on both sides of the platform and more room. Plus the more modern look of the Case.
All winter long plowing snow with the Case I'm thinking I should have gotten the Agco with the power shuttle. But today after using the Agco to till the garden it hit me big time, I made the right choice with the Case and the hydro transmission. The Agco has a super low gear, barely creeping and I still had to ride the clutch and when I got to the end and wanted to back up to the other end to start the next pass I had to shift into a higher gear then back to low to till. I was tilling lawn that was not plowed first, so the ground was hard. The going was slow. That's the other thing I learned, that mean looking tiller doesn't bust up ground like a guy thinks it would, best to plow first. I'm sure glad the neighbor told me to take his tractor, I will sleep a lot better from now on.