Got my Tiller mounted

/ Got my Tiller mounted #11  
elalexander said:
Hey guys. I was able to hook up and mount my tiller today. I had to cut the PTO shaft as expected. I didn't put it into the dirt yet but I am ready. Thought I'd share a few pictures for those deceiding on a small gear drive tiller for their compact tractor. I did run it at several different RPMS before going to the 540 range. It seems very well behavied (balanced) and given it weighs around 600lbs. (Per owners manual) I am glad.:D

When I get dirt and or dust flyin I'll let you know, EL.

Eric, I think you'll love that tiller. I sure like my King Kutter. Before you use it, be sure to check the slip-clutch. Also, this was the second year for mine and it started seeping oil around the gearbox cover. I checked several of the bolts and they were not tight, just snug. Retightening solved my seep.

This spring, you will make all the neighbors envious...or happy if you till their gardens.:)

/ Got my Tiller mounted
Hey Wayne we can use a bit of snow but not 6 feet:( . And Jim, my tiller had some bolts that were not tight too. I went over all of them when I got it out of the crate and hooked up. Now I'm in the shopping mode for weights for the front end. That tiller, even though it's only 4' has some steel in it.(Tim the tool man Taylor grunt:D )

We have a big ole groundhog that lives in the woods behind my barn and I know were his hole is. If he says 6 more weeks of winter I'm going to park over his hole and do about 20 minutes of tillin every one of those days;) Maybe that will make him alter his prediction.

/ Got my Tiller mounted #13  
Eric I might of pushed that total amount of snow a little, but I know it is close to six feet. We have had a little melting between snow falls, but there is still a bunch on the ground. Yesterday brought freezing rain so now everything is covered with ice........one of those artic type winters!

About the tiller, it does have an off-set, right? Really looks like a good setup and I am sure you will be digging up soil this spring. I am looking at the kk and thinking of the 5' model, will see what the cost is this spring.

Wayne

/ Got my Tiller mounted
What's the difference in a couple of feet of snow among friends, right Wayne.;) Yes this tiller is offset around 6" to the right, looking at it from the back. My tractor has big turf tires and is 5' wide. I wanted a 5 foot model but the KK web site's recommendation in horsepower was to great for my tractor for a 5' model. 25 to 40 HP for a 5foot model. (Some chaindriven models take less horsepower, but I didn't want a chain driven tiller). There is a significant weight difference between the chain drive & gear drive too, almost 200# per the KK web site for a 4' tiller.

Anyway, I can adjust my lift arms to get the other 1 1/2 or 2" I need so the tiller will cover the one tire track.

It might pay to look for one now if you are going to get one. I picked this one up the last day of the year and got a good price on it. I don't know if it was due to inventory tax reduction of things but at our TSC several pieces of equipment moved that week. I got the last tiller, and the one I wanted.:D I figure in a month or so when the spring stuff is popular the prices will be back up also. There is one 5' snowblower that hasn't moved all winter as well..I bet in the spring someone will get a good buy just so they can make room. Unless of course we get one of your NorEasters that cripples everything for a few days. For somereason you can't find snow removal equipment on sale after one of them.:rolleyes:

I've attached a few more pictures.

Last edited:
   / Got my Tiller mounted #15  
elalexander said:
Maxfi....you are right, it is light in the front with just a 6' rake on it. I have been bidding for suitcase weights online due to dealers wanting about $1.00 per pound for them, new or used.

Yeah and Randy, my wife says it's like a new Tonka truck when our son was small...I know you just can't wait to play in the dirt with it.:D She also mentioned something about men and boys and the price of the toys;)

If you have the room on the front end. You could weld a piece of 3/4 pipe on & add bar bell type weights.You can add as much weight as you want. This is what I did due to the high cost of suitcase weights.

/ Got my Tiller mounted
Thanks for the idea Ken. I may have to do that. I have several hundred pound of barbell weights collecting dust. I have seen some suitcase weights on e-bay that were not to babdly priced. Shipping will be akillerr I figure.

EL