Got asked to bid a very unusual project

/ Got asked to bid a very unusual project #41  
Bingo
Then you end up downstream with logs ramming into someones bridge and do damage….
Bet that job requires 5 million in insurance minimum.

Wondered if I could get someone to operate a water rescue boat while I lean over and cut small pieces away one at a time with a chainsaw, so as not to create large floating battering rams downstream?
That's what I would do in the creek near me. But I can stand in it and operate my chainsaw. I cut small chunks and then they just float away little by little. But your situation is a whole other can of worms.

/ Got asked to bid a very unusual project #42  
Seems strange to me that the conservancy would have responsibility to clear the log jam resting against a bridge pier owned by the RR? Is that what their lawyers have told them?

/ Got asked to bid a very unusual project
That's what I would do in the creek near me. But I can stand in it and operate my chainsaw. I cut small chunks and then they just float away little by little. But your situation is a whole other can of worms.
Its especially deep around the railroad bridge pylons. Those were built in 1900.

I bet it would be especially awkward & tiring and risky cutting off logs with a chainsaw from an inflatable raft
One slip of the saw and it’s lost in the river, or cuts a slice in the raft. 😘

I do know a guy with a platform boat with 2 outboard motors on it.

/ Got asked to bid a very unusual project #44  
Well, I guess I would ask you (or if it was me, myself), do I want/need this work (ie an established client, and you really want avoid turning it down). If your crane guy looks at it, and has some pretty reassuring words (yep, we do this a couple times a year, no problem), I would probably proceed with the crane, and a boat. If either this client isnt needed, or your crane guy is hesitant (umm, maybe we can do it...), I would pass.

/ Got asked to bid a very unusual project #45  
Its especially deep around the railroad bridge pylons. Those were built in 1900.

I bet it would be especially awkward & tiring and risky cutting off logs with a chainsaw from an inflatable raft
One slip of the saw and it’s lost in the river, or cuts a slice in the raft.

I do know a guy with a platform boat with 2 outboard motors on it.
Probably not a good idea, but I can imagine myself out there on my property in this situation, in a blow up raft trying to stand and cut with a chainsaw. Definitely see myself going to the ER with a missing limb or two.

Now a solid floating platform anchored to land upstream maybe, then you chip away the parts upstream first to let them float away. Then little chance of it taking you with it. But, I don't typically err or the side of caution doing my own projects.

/ Got asked to bid a very unusual project
I just love a challenge though!
You know????

The river is pretty shallow in spots. I will have to walk downstream to see if there’s a stone “reef” area that might beach any “get away” logs

/ Got asked to bid a very unusual project #48  
Probably not a good idea, but I can imagine myself out there on my property in this situation, in a blow up raft trying to stand and cut with a chainsaw. Definitely see myself going to the ER with a missing limb or two.

Now a solid floating platform anchored to land upstream maybe, then you chip away the parts upstream first to let them float away. Then little chance of it taking you with it. But, I don't typically err or the side of caution doing my own projects.

A blow up raft seems like a terrible idea mixed with sharp sticks and a chainsaw but if you had a small barge I’d be down to try it. I think of you sawed the piece in firewood length and floated them that the downstream risk would be extremely minor. Especially considering all those pieces already floated down the river and they would have kept going if it was for that bridge.

/ Got asked to bid a very unusual project #49  
A crane with a grapple would work, I would wonder about a good sized drag line excavator. But as others have said I would expect a bunch of stuff to escape and head down river. I would wonder what the kingpin is in the pile, a large tree with heavy limbs wedged into the river bottom, maybe.