Gooseneck or bumper pull?

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #121  
Truck’s capability is one thing, the drivers ability is something completely separate. Anyone can drive a straight line down the highway at 70mph…until something happens.
Wouldnt that be true of anything on wheels going down the highway?

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #122  
Did you go to their manufacturing plant in NC to pick it up? I am interested in one of their 16k tilt deck equipment trailers.
I did when I picked up my 15K from them about 6 years ago (Unless they moved, SC ... if I remember right). Office wasn't as organized as I thought it would be (paperwork took about an hour & 1/2 in person, even though they had all info & payment before I got there). As I remember the drive, there was a 20 or so mile drive on backroads once you left the freeway. Left NSB about 5 am, got the trailer from them & drove back same day, was home in time for dinner as I remember. You'd probably save an hour each way on me.

Last edited:
   / Gooseneck or bumper pull? #123  
Which trailer is better is like asking how long is a rope. Too many variables for a "right" answer. Depends on the load being pulled, what you are pulling with. Lots of loads can be pulled with a light truck but the real issue is can the truck handle the weight. Most people overlook being able to stop a load in motion. Braking is as important as any other consideration but usually overlooked.

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull?
Which trailer is better is like asking how long is a rope. Too many variables for a "right" answer. Depends on the load being pulled, what you are pulling with. Lots of loads can be pulled with a light truck but the real issue is can the truck handle the weight. Most people overlook being able to stop a load in motion. Braking is as important as any other consideration but usually overlooked.
You have been a member for 8 years and have 28 posts...and this is the best you can contribute?

Anyway....I appreciate the replies others have given. Lots of good information and it has helped a lot.

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #125  
Actually, a properly installed GN hitch will be CENTERED on the centerline of the rear axle, not in front of it.
Yesterday, I got under my F350 diesel and eyeballed the GN hitch plate and got news for every nay commenter.... THE HITCH HOLE WHERE THE BALL SCREWS IN IS CENTERED ABOVE THE PUMPKIN, not behind, not in front, directly in line with the centerline of the differential. It may be a fraction of an inch either way but it's very close. Keep in mind I have an 8 foot bed and a long wheelbase crew cab if that makes any difference.

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #126  
My buddy installed his as per specs so in front of the axel (don't know the exact measurement but he got it from the actual truck specs) pin his goose neck got in a parking lot and turn around and pouff just like a shotgun sound... it scared the hell out of him ... the gooseneck trailer came in contact with the roof blowing the rear window... so he had to back it up a few inch...
I think most gooseneck/fifth wheel trailers can hit the cab/rear window of a truck.

The issue is situational awareness to avoid it.

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #127  
Some of these factory bumper pull ratings are getting a little “iffy” on pickups. I wouldn’t want to pull more than 20,000lbs off the bumper. Thats a lot of squat and a lot of stress.
Once you hit 20K, you should be using a GN.
Unless it’s a one ton or above they are likely to run out of truck payload before 20k and maybe even less.

I don’t think I’d want that much unless it was a gooseneck.

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #128  
I think most gooseneck/fifth wheel trailers can hit the cab/rear window of a truck.

The issue is situational awareness to avoid it.
really ehn ... good to know, I agree to a point, I didn't say it but in his case his employee was driving he could've very well made the same mistake.

My personal preference would be to be able to reach 90 degree or close to it without having to worry about it.

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #129  
IMO a bumper pull will follow a truck much better when pulling into tight places like narrow driveways , but I do feel like I can back a gooseneck into a tighter place.
I have turned around in places with a gooseneck, no way could you turn around with a bumper pull.

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #130  
I remember my neighbor driving by. Had one of them 35' or 40' cattle trailers. All the cows you could put in it, it was stuffed. Pulling it with a 1982 Ford Ranger 4x4 in low range, a screamin demon.