Gooseneck or bumper pull?

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #51  

Expert Reply:
The measurement of the Replacement Hitch Ball for B&W Turnoverball Underbed Gooseneck Hitches - 2-5/16" # BWGNXA2000 is 2-1/2 inches by 2-1/2 inches by 4 inches. The ball on top of this shank is 4-1/16 inches tall. The hitch pin hole is centered in the shank so it is exactly 2 inches on center from the bottom of the shank. I've attached a couple photos to assist.
So it's 2 5/16" not 2 7/8". Glad there's not a new size out there.

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #53  
I also have both. The worst place for a GN is a “T” where you have to make a 90* turn and there are pillars or a mailbox right out by the road. The bumper pull will make it. The GN might knock mailbox or pillars over.
I dont know how many times I have said this very same thing on here.
And a number of times there are the "die-hard" gooseneck guys that want to argue and just say I dont know how to drive :ROFLMAO:

Its funny though. Because its a FACT that you can make a TIGHTER 90-degree turn with a BP trailer.

The "average" country driveway around here only has ONE 20' length of culvert at the road ditch. And unless its a 3-lane wide road where you can swing wide.....dont even think of getting a 25' GN in there or you are gonna crush one of the culvert ends

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #54  
To the OP:

So far we know you are looking at a 14k-16k trailer and a 2500 truck.

But I think we need to know more about what you plan on trailering.....and trailering to where to answer your questions.

For example....how long of a trailer are you looking at? And assuming you are looking at a ~9000-10000 payload capacity?

Too many different configurations of a 3/4-ton truck out there right now.....but my concern with a GN would also be the payload capacity of a 3/4-ton may limit you.

a 1-ton dually with a GN is definitely alot more forgiving about load placement/balance. IE....tongue weight. But a 3/4-ton truck with a 10k load on a GN.....it would be pretty easy to overload the truck if one isnt careful.

And are you looking for something to tow around a farm? In and out of fields? Or to-from businesses? Or are you looking at moving equipment to/from customers jobsites (residential) jobs. Because there are ALOT of driveways I would just park a GN at the road because there was no way to get a GN in the drive.

I went from a 25' GN to a 24' BP trailer. I wasnt opposed to staying with a GN....Just couldnt find what I wanted. Because I did NOT want a deckover. Its a lot easier loading/unloading.....and climbing on/off of a lower trailer with the deck between the fenders.

GN trailers are also HEAVIER.....which can eat into the payload capacity of both truck and trailer if you plan on towing something that is pushing the 26k limit.

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull?
My objective is to deliver bulk bags of firewood. Like this:

The bags are on 40x48 pallets. Four units on a trailer and the tractor. It seems the best approach is to park on the road and lift the bags off the side of the trailer. I was looking at about a 22-24' foot trailer.

The bags hold 1/3 cord of wood and should weigh about 1300-1600 lbs each. That puts a max. of 6400 lbs on the first 8 ft of the trailer and the tractor weighs 5500 lbs.

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #56  
My objective is to deliver bulk bags of firewood. Like this:

The bags are on 40x48 pallets. Four units on a trailer and the tractor. It seems the best approach is to park on the road and lift the bags off the side of the trailer. I was looking at about a 22-24' foot trailer.

The bags hold 1/3 cord of wood and should weigh about 1300-1600 lbs each. That puts a max. of 6400 lbs on the first 8 ft of the trailer and the tractor weighs 5500 lbs.
Interesting. One of my good friends does exactly that down here but instead of large sacks like that, he bundles split wood in 50 pound bundles and sells it to local campgrounds and does real well with it actually. Keeps all the local campgrounds in firewood which they in turn sell to campers. He delivers the bundles in his pickup truck.

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #57  
If I were you, I'd consider a trailer mounted hydraulic jib crane with sufficient capacity to load and off load the totes instead of hauling your tractor around, similar to what loggers use to load and offload cord wood.

I jib crane would weigh a lot less and give you more cargo capacity.

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #58  
Its funny though. Because its a FACT that you can make a TIGHTER 90-degree turn with a BP trailer.
That all depends on the length of the trailer tongue. With a BP trailer with a short tongue, a really tight turn will destroy your bumper or worse. Not an issue with a GN until you put one past 90 degrees and run the upper deck or GN into your truck cab.

That is a FACT.

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull?
If I were you, I'd consider a trailer mounted hydraulic jib crane with sufficient capacity to load and off load the totes instead of hauling your tractor around, similar to what loggers use to load and offload cord wood.

I jib crane would weigh a lot less and give you more cargo capacity.

One of the options I am looking at is a used flatbed with a jib crane. A flatbed would be easier to maneuver. I can use the tractor to load the flatbed and then use the crane to off load the bags or dump them where the customer wants them.

One advantage of the bulk bags is being able to stage them in a garage, under a car port, etc so I would like to be able to move them once unloaded. I am looking at using a powered pallet jack to move the bag/pallet if I go with the flatbed idea.

I have found a few flatbeds with lift gates and then a crane will not be needed.