Gooseneck or bumper pull?

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #61  
Snip
Because its a FACT that you can make a TIGHTER 90-degree turn with a BP trailer.
Snip
I understand what you are saying but it is not necessarily true/not true all the time. You are specifically addressing turning into an opening between two fixed objects, and you are right that most BP trailers can turn into a narrower opening than can a gooseneck.

However, most of the time shorter BP trailers are compared to longer gooseneck trailers.
With a shorter BP trailer the limiting factor in how sharp you can turn is the turning radius of the towing vehicle. With a longer BP trailer, such as a 25' or 30' matching the most common gooseneck lengths, the trailer can jack-knife going forward and crush the bumper of the towing vehicle if too tight a turn is attempted. In such instances a gooseneck can be turned into a narrower opening due to the ability to reverse the truck closer to the trailer half-way into the turn.

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #62  
I understand what you are saying but it is not necessarily true/not true all the time. You are specifically addressing turning into an opening between two fixed objects, and you are right that most BP trailers can turn into a narrower opening than can a gooseneck.

However, most of the time shorter BP trailers are compared to longer gooseneck trailers.
With a shorter BP trailer the limiting factor in how sharp you can turn is the turning radius of the towing vehicle. With a longer BP trailer, such as a 25' or 30' matching the most common gooseneck lengths, the trailer can jack-knife going forward and crush the bumper of the towing vehicle if too tight a turn is attempted. In such instances a gooseneck can be turned into a narrower opening due to the ability to reverse the truck closer to the trailer half-way into the turn.

Ford was really thinking ahead with their leaf spring axels and prevented that problem.

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #63  
Do you already have customers lined up? I'd be dealing with that first in I were you.

That is how in New England, people who burn wood pellets for heat have them delivered. Suppliers use a tandem axle straight truck with a hydraulic jib crane to set off the one ton pallets and then a pallet truck to put them where the customers want them, usually in a garage.

Down in South Toledo, Cargo Tech not only builds custom jib cranes but mounts them to straight trucks as well. You might want to Goggle them up, I know they have a website.

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #64  
If I were you, I'd consider a trailer mounted hydraulic jib crane with sufficient capacity to load and off load the totes instead of hauling your tractor around, similar to what loggers use to load and offload cord wood.

I jib crane would weigh a lot less and give you more cargo capacity.
Or like a brick delivery trailer.

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #66  

I have both a 12' BP dump trailer and a 24' BP equip trailer. My truck will NOT turn short enough to hit the bumper. Only by backing up can I do that.

And by doing that with a gooseneck.....sure you can jacknife beyond what a BP can do.....but by doing that it only keeps the TRUCK on the driveway. By backing up and straightening out the truck....just shortens the radius that the trailer will then take.

My comparison is directly with a 24' BP and a 25' GN. There is NO comparison. Making a 90 degree turn into a driveway off a country road.....the GN needs at LEAST 10' wider drive approach than the BP that follows much closer to the trucks track

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #67  
My objective is to deliver bulk bags of firewood. Like this:

The bags are on 40x48 pallets. Four units on a trailer and the tractor. It seems the best approach is to park on the road and lift the bags off the side of the trailer. I was looking at about a 22-24' foot trailer.

The bags hold 1/3 cord of wood and should weigh about 1300-1600 lbs each. That puts a max. of 6400 lbs on the first 8 ft of the trailer and the tractor weighs 5500 lbs.
A potential max of 11,900 on a 22-24' trailer is gonna be a no-go with just about any 14k trailer. You need a 16k for sure.

And sadly.....6400# on the first 8' of either a BP or a GN trailer I think is not gonna go so well with a 3/4 ton truck. just my 2-cents

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #68  
Because its a FACT that you can make a TIGHTER 90-degree turn with a BP trailer.

That all depends on the length of the trailer tongue. With a BP trailer with a short tongue, a really tight turn will destroy your bumper or worse. Not an issue with a GN until you put one past 90 degrees and run the upper deck or GN into your truck cab.

That is a FACT.
Yeah, I have yet to own a BP trailer that I can turn the truck 90 degrees without damage. Both rear corners of my old truck are evidence. :)

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull?
A potential max of 11,900 on a 22-24' trailer is gonna be a no-go with just about any 14k trailer. You need a 16k for sure.

And sadly.....6400# on the first 8' of either a BP or a GN trailer I think is not gonna go so well with a 3/4 ton truck. just my 2-cents
I was afraid of that. I have decided a box truck or flatbed with a lift gate may be the best option. A crane, like 5030 suggested, on a flatbed may be another option.

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #70  
Yeah, I have yet to own a BP trailer that I can turn the truck 90 degrees without damage. Both rear corners of my old truck are evidence. :)
I agree. But I have also yet to have a BP that you can get anywhere close to 90 degrees just by going forward. You gotta back up and jacknife it to get to the point of damaging something.