Gooseneck or bumper pull?

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #81  
Bumper pulls if not set up properly can get you into a wreck. a goose neck is the safest way to tow heavy. I think a bumper pull is easier to back but you can learn to back a goose neck also.

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #82  
I would go hands down with a gooseneck above a bumper pull. I have 3 ranging from 14' to 30'. They are much more forgiving when pulling and a lot more stable and easier to get into tight places.

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #83  
I would go hands down with a gooseneck above a bumper pull. I have 3 ranging from 14' to 30'. They are much more forgiving when pulling and a lot more stable and easier to get into tight places.
Agree to disagree

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #84  
You had me on the first 2, but tighter spaces? I think the BP is a little better there.
But I wouldn’t turn down a GN for maneuverability. The advantages of the GN mostly outweigh the BP.

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #85  
My general rule of thumb is that a gooseneck should be heavy enough to require a dually to pull it, or you're probably better off with a bumper pull anyway. Gooseneck trailers are more expensive than a bumper pull, since obviously they have a lot more steel in them, which also makes them heavier. Some guys make use of the "neck" portion of the goose, building a small deck up top which can provide more load area. Of course, this would increase pin weight and that needs to be taken into account. A gooseneck trailer is easier on the pulling vehicle's chassis, since there is a little less lever action. Lots of guys run single wheel tandem goosenecks with a 16k GVWR behind a 3/4 ton 10k pickup, making them under CDL by a hair. I like the idea of a trailer for your bagged wood with a tractor on the back for loading and unloading. As you mentioned, the trailer has other value such as moving the tractor for other purposes, or you could move a car, bulky object, etc.

I would recommend a 1-ton truck instead of the 3/4 ton truck simply for its added payload, but you might run into the CDL problem. You can "help" a 3/4 ton with a squatting problem by adding helper airbags to the rear axle, but you still don't want to overload it. Personally, I run a 30 foot gooseneck behind an F-350 dually. Bumper pull can be move useful because it can be pulled by a number of vehicles. You definitely want a deckover for your purposes.

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #86  
IMO a bumper pull will follow a truck much better when pulling into tight places like narrow driveways , but I do feel like I can back a gooseneck into a tighter place.

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #87  
Which one is safer and more forgiving with respect to trailer load balancing?

Which one is easier to back up?

Looking at a 14-16k GVWR trailer.
Gooseneck is safer. Bumper pull will be a little easier to tow because the trailer follows your trucks turning radius where a gooseneck will take a turn tighter because it connects in the center of your bed. You can back up a goose neck into a tighter spot. Gooseneck still east to tow and safer.

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #88  
Which one is safer and more forgiving with respect to trailer load balancing?

Which one is easier to back up?

Looking at a 14-16k GVWR trailer.
Gooseneck is much better. I have a 40-foot gooseneck trailer for two cars and a 24-foot bumper pull for single car towing. The gooseneck is very stable, forgiving on load. More maneuverable for similar lengths.

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #89  
I would choose gooseneck. I have a 26 + 6 which gives me room to balance the load by moving it back or forward. It is a 25k trailer and I pull it with my 3/4 ton. More stable towing and easier to back are the bonuses.

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #90  
About 100 yrs ago my friends dad had mounted a ball hitch on the front bumper ( think it actually bolted to the frame) for backing his trailer way back in between the house and a fence. I use the skid steer with the trailer hitch QA plate.
I have front mounts on both my UTV's for that very reason.