Gooseneck or bumper pull?

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #101  
CDL rules differ by state. In California, if your equipment trailer is 10k or over GVWR, you need a CDL. So it's a good idea to check your individual state rules.

I tow daily delivering tractors and have a 22' deck bumper pull and a 32' deck goose. Often I am delivering to narrow driveways or at the end of some goat trail that the customer calls a road. People developing properties like that need a tractor, and we are happy to get one to them, but narrow and steep gravel or dirt roads aren't rare for many deliveries. My 22' deck bumper pull is way better for tight roads and driveways where I am turning into a narrow drive from a narrow road. But it had a short tongue, and even going forward you could make bumper contact in a very tight turn. I recently added a GenY torsion coupler which lengthens the tongue 9.5", and makes it ride better. It would be difficult to jackknife the trailer into the bumper now. You would have to back up turning sharp and really be asleep at the wheel.

The goose pulls great and I use it for double drops, but it requires some pre-trip planning and I can't always get into a property. If I can get close, I drive the tractor the rest of the way.

The idea of a crane trailer has merit. If you plan to back into driveways and unload on the pad in front of the garage, you might just make that the entirety of your delivery service. If on concrete, you could use a pallet jack as you mentioned to move the wood into the garage. If they need it hauled around back or something, they can deal with that themselves. Hauling a tractor or forklift and the bags is a lot more difficult as you need a larger heavier trailer, a larger heavier truck, and you will spend time chaining down and unloading your tractor at each stop. By eliminating the offer to move the bags anywhere off concrete, you are now fine with a 3/4 ton truck, no CDL, shorter trailer to back into tighter spots, etc.

I have a crane trailer that you should copy. I'll pm you as to not muddy up this thread.

Last edited:
   / Gooseneck or bumper pull? #102  
Which one is safer and more forgiving with respect to trailer load balancing?

Which one is easier to back up?

Looking at a 14-16k GVWR trailer.
1. For towing a GN trailer, the tow vehicle needs to be a 3/4 Ton at minimum, with very limited exceptions.
2. The major advantage of a GN over a bumper or Frame Hitch is it is much easier to back the trailer into very tight spaces and doesn't require additional load-adjusting hitch accessories which makes a Bumper or Frame Hitch pull trailer even more difficult to back up in tight spaces.
3. Load balancing requirements are pretty much identical.
4. A GN hitch has a Weight Rating of around 6,000 lbs. on the hitch, whereas a Bumper Hitch is based on the weight rating of bumper brackets or in the case of a frame-mounted hitch assembly the weight ratings can vary by several hundreds of pounds of tongue weight.
5. With any trailer over 2,000 lbs. weight you will also require a brake controller system unless you want to destroy your tow vehicle's brakes in a very short period of time.
6. I would recommend that you install Progressive Overload Springs on your tow vehicle as well as a Brake Controller that is rated for more axles than what you will actually be towing, ie; if towing a tandem axle trailer get a 3 or 4-axle-rated brake controller.
7. Cost-wise, the GN hitch is the most versatile and cost-effective of any hitch system.
*My knowledge comes from being a truck accessory installer and custom trailer builder since 1992.

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #103  
Actually, a properly installed GN hitch will be CENTERED on the centerline of the rear axle, not in front of it.
Actually no! A proper gn ball is slightly ahead of axle about 2" Most 1 ton and up trucks should have that spec listed for hitch placement.

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #104  
Also check your gvwr of your trailer. Here in Manitoba Canada if trailer is over 4549kg/10000lbs you require a class 3 drivers license. Exception is farmers/ranchers are allowed to drive operate a class 3 vehicle with basic class 5 license if it's registered for farm use.

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #105  
Gooseneck all the way ! The load is much easier to haul because it's not as particular about how it's loaded. You can jackknife a gooseneck to get into tight places easier, and as a whole the load is carried by the trailer not as much the truck. The load is also right over over axle on the pickup or truck you are pulling with and not on just your rear frame of truck. I have both and always use the gooseneck when I can.

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #106  
Actually no! A proper gn ball is slightly ahead of axle about 2" Most 1 ton and up trucks should have that spec listed for hitch placement.
My buddy installed his as per specs so in front of the axel (don't know the exact measurement but he got it from the actual truck specs) pin his goose neck got in a parking lot and turn around and pouff just like a shotgun sound... it scared the hell out of him ... the gooseneck trailer came in contact with the roof blowing the rear window... so he had to back it up a few inch...

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #107  
I prefer a Goose Neck in everyway except when it comes to hooking up and unhooking.
Due to my physical problems I can hook up a BP easier.

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #108  
Which one is safer and more forgiving with respect to trailer load balancing?

Which one is easier to back up?

Looking at a 14-16k GVWR trailer.
I have a 1995 Cummins Ram with a bed cap. I pull a bumper (receiver) hitch 14K and have haul my Kubota L4400 w/FEL with no problems, just center the load slightly ahead of the tandem axles. I've also hauled enough kiln dried hardwood to blow out 3 of 4 tires, Ha! I've not seen a bumper pull any bigger than 14K. BTW, no equalizers either.

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #109  
it’s true that gooseneck is more forgiving for pretty much everything and everything everyone mentioned is pretty much true but bumper pull is more practical in the sense you still have your truck box available… but that wasn’t your question but it’s important to point that out.

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #110  
May be a bit late to the party, just saw this thread… I have both and it’s subjective and personal preference. If you haven’t purchased as yet, please take a look at Kaufman trailers, Kaufman Trailers | Equipment, Gooseneck, Car, Dump Trailers Just purchased a 16k GWR Flatbed bumper hitch. Added the Pop-Up cleated dovetail and it works great. Apples to apples, hands down the same or better quality than the Texas or Gator made. Seriously, do a price comparison, it was over $4k less than the Texas and $3800 less than the Gator. Hope I’m not too late but this may help someone else. Cheers
1683238333033.png