Gooseneck or bumper pull?

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #42  
Actually, a properly installed GN hitch will be CENTERED on the centerline of the rear axle, not in front of it.
I don't think so, almost all I have ever seen are just a couple inches in front which makes perfect sense.

These all say centered or just in front.

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #43  
With me, a lot. I like to park the GN at 90 degrees to the truck when loading. That eliminates the shock load on the trucks transmission (especially when in 'Park') because the parking sprag in most transmissions isn't all that strong anyway. I'd much rather 'tighten up' round bales on the GN with it at 90 degrees to the truck.
That's what the parking brake is used for. It should be used every time a pickup with trailer is parked. Although more and more rare, a manual trans makes it obvious.

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #44  
Make sure your truck has the payload to handle it. I’d say 2500 pounds payload minimum, 3000 better.

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #45  
I can't find my paperwork for my B&W hitch. Best I can tell the GN ball is 3.5" ahead of axle center. This is on a 2002 SD Crew Cab short bed.

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #47  
Not 2 5/16".

Expert Reply:
The measurement of the Replacement Hitch Ball for B&W Turnoverball Underbed Gooseneck Hitches - 2-5/16" # BWGNXA2000 is 2-1/2 inches by 2-1/2 inches by 4 inches. The ball on top of this shank is 4-1/16 inches tall. The hitch pin hole is centered in the shank so it is exactly 2 inches on center from the bottom of the shank. I've attached a couple photos to assist.

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #48  
Couple of points: The reason to put the ball ahead of the rear axle is that when the tow vehicle starts to turn, the trailer immediately initiates a turn in the same direction. If behind the rear axle (bumper pull style), when the tow vehicle starts to turn, the trailer starts to turn in the opposite direction then has to catch up. When at the rear axle, the trailer is on its own without an initial condition boost. Maybe not that important at speeds below 50 mph, but now we see all kinds of trailer combos at speeds at over 80+ mph. And many start to self actuate a sway condition. Hitch ball Height is also a player in the physics of trailer towing if you don't want your critters to roll around a lot on the way to a show.

Second point is that I see a fore-aft cushion type hitch is now available for GN users.