Good morning!!!!

/ Good morning!!!! #163,571  
Can you recommend any inexpensive "moca" testers? or ways to tell which cables go where
My Mississippi residence has TV cable everywhere. Both inside and out.
But when the "insert curse word here" guy installed DirecTv he just cut OFF all the exterior connections, so I've got all these stubs outside.
But they run through holes in the concrete & brick.
I'd like to be able to hook some of them back up to run internet.
But I can't figure out what goes where.

/ Good morning!!!! #163,572  
I just use routers on the cable ends, so no. But I have to depend on provider to config the routers.

The cable guys have nice testers, but they are quite expensive.
Just remember that the cheap boosters/amps sometimes mess with the signal and don't let it through or attenuate it.

If the stubs, when connected directly to a tv have signal, you may be ok.

Can use a tone tester to see what wire goes where.

/ Good morning!!!! #163,573  
It looks like most implementations of MoCA are to avoid running Ethernet cabling and use existing coax. I have parallel runs of coax and Ethernet from the equipment room to both locations I would like to extend coverage to.
It would appear that if I use MoCA and Verizon extenders, the router will configure the entire network as a self organizing network taking care of details like access point steering and optimization. Not sure if that happens with an Ethernet link and their hardware.
I still can’t determine if coax has any other advantages, like higher throughput.

/ Good morning!!!! #163,574  
Good Morning to all,
It was 36F when I got up under mostly clear skies, after an overnight low of 32. Forecast for today is for a high of 53, level 1 storm warning for this afternoon/evening. Heavy rains and winds 25-30 with gusts to 45 and a chance for a tornado.... sounds like a fun afternoon. Time to move the generator out of storage.

Mystery truck tracks sorted out yesterday when partner of culprit returned to deliver posts and 'loose lumber'. Seems the culprit was trying to sort out best way to get truck in and deliver the posts. There are 25 8"x8"x20' posts in this building. Still going to install security cameras, misses has been pushing for them for a while. I really don't think we need them. Sheriff lives 2 doors down, everybody knows he lives there and we live in a very quiet town.

Posts were delivered yesterday, contractor due back tomorrow to start setting them.

Need to make grocery run before weather heads south.

Meet with electrician this morning to see about getting power to the barn from the shop and to sort out what pre-work needs to be done before slab is poured in a few weeks. Planning on 100amp service in the barn.

I think I have figured out my internet to shop issue. I will move the wireless PTP receiver in the shop to the barn and then wire that to a powerlink internet PTP in the barn to another in the shop. Thanks BEF for the powerlink idea. Now to research internet powerlink devices.

Hope everyone has a good day. Be safe out there.

/ Good morning!!!! #163,575  
Good Morning! 40˚F partly cloudy becoming sunny this afternoon at up only to the mid 50s with a NW wind. We did get a needed 1/2" rain yesterday.

I jumped ahead of the girls on the language app yesterday but they jumped ahead of me last night, they must work their day job and do Spanish at night. I can't just be trying to out pace them because I want to slow down and learn and remember. I have the free version of the app and my wife, who has been doing it for 3 years has the paid version. The paid version has the same material but allows point bonuses to advance quickly in the leagues. At the rate of their quick point accumulation the girls have the paid version.

I'm on Study unit 6, it takes about a week to do each unit which has 10 lessons in it. Each lesson has 10-15 learning objects, so each unit has about 100-150 new things to learn (new nouns and different verb tenses). There are 207 units in the app.

The app offers 39 languages (for those with English as their main language to learn from) and has 500 million registered users with 37 million active at least once a month. The paid subscription version is $60 a year and differs by not having advertisement and offers advanced point accumulation.

/ Good morning!!!! #163,576  
It is currently 27F (wind chill dropping it down to 14F) here western Wisconsin, we are going to get snow and a high of 29F today...I could use some heat...or "anti-freeze" in my coffee.

/ Good morning!!!! #163,577  
But when the "insert curse word here" guy installed DirecTv he just cut OFF all the exterior connections, so I've got all these stubs outside.

When I replaced Hughesnet with Viasat, the SOB did the same thing. Really pissed me off as it was my cable. If I had any other internet option at the time I would have sent him packing. The worse installer ever, I did half his work and he had the nerve to charge me $10 for a foot of his pipe, that I cut on my chop saw.

/ Good morning!!!! #163,578  
Welcome Atomic, stay warm

looks like a few decorative flurries here but warming up and lots of rain later today

/ Good morning!!!! #163,579  
Thanks BEF for the powerlink idea. Now to research internet powerlink devices.

I use these at 2 places. Now they have a WiFi version also.

TP-Link Powerline Ethernet Adapter Starter Kit - AV1000 Gigabit Port, Plug&Play, Ethernet Over Power, Nano Size, Ideal for Smart TV, Online Gaming, Wired Connection Only (TL-PA7017 KIT) https://a.co/d/4HhSABm