GMC Canyon input requested

/ GMC Canyon input requested #1  

RickB

Super Star Member
Tractor
Just a Scag
I am considering upgrading my pickup. No trailering, not a work truck, just a daily driver. There are a couple 2017 Canyons on dealer lots that look interesting. Both are V6s, one 2wd SLE, one 4wd SLT. Anyone have opinions or experiences to share? Full size trucks are too big, too tall and not anything I am interested in.

/ GMC Canyon input requested #2  
I follow truck sales all the time;Colorado/Canyon sales are way down;must be a good reason.I have two friends that purchased them
one was a real lemon the other is a 2019 with 8,000 miles so the jury is still out.
Main thing is they are really not that much smaller than a full size and don't get very good mileage out of the 3.6.;at least not a lot better than I get with a 5.3 in a full size.

/ GMC Canyon input requested
EPA says 17/24 for the mileage. I can live with that. Nobody builds a decent small truck. If there were a modern equivalent to the 1992 Sonoma I had, I would be all in.

/ GMC Canyon input requested #4  
My dad had one for a few years and never had problems with it. It was the 1st year of the remodel. Whenever I drove it I always thought it was a nice vehicle. I like smaller trucks but now have a FS long box to haul wood.

/ GMC Canyon input requested #5  
I follow truck sales all the time;Colorado/Canyon sales are way down;must be a good reason.I have two friends that purchased them
one was a real lemon the other is a 2019 with 8,000 miles so the jury is still out.
Main thing is they are really not that much smaller than a full size and don't get very good mileage out of the 3.6.;at least not a lot better than I get with a 5.3 in a full size.

Not really in the market for a "new" (read: newer than my present one) truck, but the Colorado/Canyon was high on my list, with the Ranger a distant second. I test drove one a couple years ago and thought it was a nice truck.
You make a good point about mileage...none of the "small" trucks get much better than the full size ones. I'm still leaning toward a midsize...the fullsize trucks are just too big. Don't need anything that huge.

/ GMC Canyon input requested #6  
They are pretty good trucks and I really like that V6. I have one in a car that has 249,000 miles on it and it's running perfectly and doesn't use any oil, it's still a daily driver.

Very good power too, I'm sad to see them dropping that engine in the next year or so...

SR

/ GMC Canyon input requested #7  
I have a 2016 Colorado Z71 4x4 with about 70,000 miles on it. I really like the truck. It rides and drives great! I average 23-25 MPG on my 70 mile round trip commute that is mostly two lane highway. It tows really good too, although I’ve only ever had about 5,000 pounds behind and that’s nowhere near it’s rating of 7,000.

/ GMC Canyon input requested
I considered them a while ago but basically gave up the idea. Unless you buy a basic 2WD, manual trans 4 popper, there's not much of a price advantage to purchasing one. Another reason for lack of popularity might be that American buyers are currently into BIG. Not many want a puddle jumper today.

Well like I said, I am not in the market for a half ton. Not buying into that just because it is only a few bucks more, which I already found to be inaccurate.

/ GMC Canyon input requested #9  
I've got a 5 year old Colorado with 120k miles and zero issues. I think it's a great size. Much easier to maneuver in parking lots, etc, tows well, decent payload, 21 mpg lifetime. I've got a 10 x 8 trailer for anything that doesn't fit in the back.

/ GMC Canyon input requested #10  
My dad has one with the v6 and 8 speed automatic. He likes the power and ride.

It went back to the dealer with about 1200 miles on it with transmission issues. It shutters when it shifts gears. When it downshifts it shifts hard and grinds sometimes. All the dealer did was change the fluid in it. It helped some but still has the issues.

Sometimes the radio just blares out as loud as it will go. The dash lights go out often. When he goes around a cure it will ding and say his back door is open.

He said he wishes he would have never bought the truck.